sharing drink package, thoughts?

I've said before the solution would be to introduce a limited sharable package. Buy vouchers for, say, 50 drinks at a discount price, usable by anyone on your reservation. All Royal has done is create a donut hole where most drinkers have seen a huge price increase. While perhaps they hope it will force people into packages, it will just force me not to buy alcohol.

I've said before the solution would be to introduce a limited sharable package. Buy vouchers for, say, 50 drinks at a discount price, usable by anyone on your reservation. All Royal has done is create a donut hole where most drinkers have seen a huge price increase. While perhaps they hope it will force people into packages, it will just force me not to buy alcohol.

And perhaps the voucher system will be next.....if a cruiser buys more vouchers than they use on a cruise they lose the value paid....making them not eligible for a refund.

Has there been a poll regarding the value of buying a drink package?

There is a lot of speculation that these packages are generating big profits (and I agree). Is the average cruiser benefiting from the package or just contributing to RCs new boat fund?

Thanks

There is a lot of speculation that these packages are generating big profits (and I agree). Is the average cruiser benefiting from the package or just contributing to RCs new boat fund?

Thanks

Nothing wrong with having a new boat fund. You make it sound bad. :rolleyes:

Folks,

I was just curious, that is all. We would all be naive to think this doesn't go on every day, especially those who are on a limited budget. Has anyone here ever gotten a soda card and taken advantage of it with other family members? Clearly the answer is yes. We could debate forever on whether this is right or wrong, morally acceptable, etc. Frankly, I don't care, there are many more important things to worry about. Who hasn't gone thru a red light lately? Who texts and drives? I am a firefighter and see the consequences of actions like these. This is the stuff I worry about, not a drink package. Again, I was just curious.

To be clear, my wife and I are perfectly content with the Diamond 3 drinks per day benefit. It was an unexpected, but nice surprise on our most recent cruise as we weren't aware of it when boarding. As a matter of fact, if we want an afternoon cocktail, we pay for it, just like everyone else. Like you, we are on vacation and aren't going to worry about a few bucks.

Have fun and enjoy your cruise.

Frank

If you are happy with your free drinks as Diamond, it would not pay even to share a package. Those packages are meant for heavy drinkers who drink various beverages all day long.

With the coffee machine in the lounges, the free drinks at cocktail hour, and the wine you can bring onboard with you, there was more than enough (for us) to drink for free. I actually brought some wine back home with me because I never had time to drink it.

The bolded is an overstatement, to say the least!

In short it would be theft. There is no real difference in what you mentioned than stealing a "2nd" shirt off the rack at a department store and walking out without paying for it just because the store may not have modern security devices or just because you bought one shirt....

Agree. Sharing a drink package priced on a per person basis is theft. Very simple. Those who attempt it, I hope are caught and forfeit the package for the balance of the cruise.

This is very debatable. I don't consider 3 to 4 drinks /day as a 'heavy drinker', at least while on vacation.

I have to ask what your definition of a "heavy drinker" is exactly.

At a price of $64.90 per day for the premium package you would need to drink 5 premium ($12) cocktails per day to break even. Simple mixed drinks are less. So you have to drink a good amount every single day to break even on the package.

And I did include those "who drink various beverages all day long" meaning fresh oj, cappucino, etc.

Do I think this constitutes a heavy drinker? Yes I do. You could possibly get away with the term 'binge drinker' rather than 'heavy drinker'.

Some people think it is perfectly normal to get up and drink an alcoholic beverage with breakfast, and continue on all day long. I do not think this is "normal". I think this is "heavy".

My opinion.

At a price of $64.90 per day for the premium package you would need to drink 5 premium ($12) cocktails per day to break even. Simple mixed drinks are less. So you have to drink a good amount every single day to break even on the package.

And I did include those "who drink various beverages all day long" meaning fresh oj, cappucino, etc.

Just to clarify, the Premium Package is $49 plus 18%, so it comes to $57.82 per day. This package includes alcohol and bottled water, but not the coffees and fresh OJ's.

It's the Ultimate Package that comes to $64.90 per day.

Edited by TheInnocentAge

Hello,

We are not big drinkers and are perfectly happy with our 3 free drinks per day as Diamond cruisers. However, I am curious. It seems that two or more people could easily share the cost of a drink package if the person who owns the package took on the role of drink purchaser. If the package is truly "unlimited", then the card holder should be able to get as many beverages as they want, from any bar. My hunch is there is a time limit between purchases.

Your opinions are welcome. Thank you.

Frank

it is clearly stated that packaged may NOT be shared. bartenders DO keep track of things and you WILL face repercussions. anything form cancelation of the package with no refund tyo being booted off the ship entitrely with no refund

Hello,

We are not big drinkers and are perfectly happy with our 3 free drinks per day as Diamond cruisers. However, I am curious. It seems that two or more people could easily share the cost of a drink package if the person who owns the package took on the role of drink purchaser. If the package is truly "unlimited", then the card holder should be able to get as many beverages as they want, from any bar. My hunch is there is a time limit between purchases.

Your opinions are welcome. Thank you.

Frank

It's dishonest. Not nice. Don't do it.

We were just on Oasis in April and noticed that in just 2 years the drink prices have increased significantly. Does one beer need to be $7 each, or a bucket of 5 Corona $30 plus 18% tip? On Orient Beach in St. Maarten, a bucket of 6 bottles was $14 - that's a huge difference!

Just to clarify, the Premium Package is $49 plus 18%, so it comes to $57.82 per day. This package includes alcohol and bottled water, but not the coffees and fresh OJ's.

We will be on a 10 day cruise. For either package that comes to over $1000 for the 2 of us. It comes down to "I don't want to spend that much money for alcohol". We will pay per drink.

We were just on Oasis in April and noticed that in just 2 years the drink prices have increased significantly.

They have actually increased significantly in just the last few months!

Its getting rather sad that you can now drink for less money in the biggest tourist traps on the islands than you can on the ship. I had a couple margaritas at Margaritaville Falmouth in the 8.00 range. That same margarita on the ship was 14.16 including tip. Some will say "well the ships margarita was made with Patron". Who cares, I like Jose Cuervo in my margaritas better anyway.

I think some of you would be going very thirsty if you came to Australia (especially when our dollar was at parity). Cocktails are regularly $15 or more in Sydney eateries and nightspots and if you were to buy a bottle of anything that you would serve as shots that bottle will run you at least $35. It makes me look forward even more to traveling to the States. Even with our crappy exchange rate it sounds like drinking (on the mainland at least) will be really cheap!

I keep going back and forth with getting a drink package for me and dh. Given we aren't heavy drinkers here at home, I have a feeling we would indulge on the ship and the stories of people having over $1000 bill at the end just for drinks scares me. I'm thinking better safe than sorry, I mean this is a vacation and you only live once. The whole sharing a drink package thing, I wouldn't do it. I saw a bumper sticker once and I feel its appropriate for the situation "don't steal, the government hates competition" O:-)

Thanks

There was a poll for Diamond members. Something about how much discount would you need to buy the package. The premise was that Diamonds and up get three free at night, so there needed to be some incentive to offset that benefit. Result was the discount needed was way to high to be realistic

I think some of you would be going very thirsty if you came to Australia (especially when our dollar was at parity). Cocktails are regularly $15 or more in Sydney eateries and nightspots and if you were to buy a bottle of anything that you would serve as shots that bottle will run you at least $35. It makes me look forward even more to traveling to the States. Even with our crappy exchange rate it sounds like drinking (on the mainland at least) will be really cheap!

Then fine, I'll be thirsty. I'm tired of the argument that "drinks are more expensive elsewhere." It does not matter.

The fact is, Royal drastically raised prices. And, at most resorts and Caribbean bars (Royal's actual competition, not trendy restaurants), drinks are much cheaper. The fact that there are other places that charge more is irrelevant.

So well some of you may be content to suck it up, those of us complaining have a legitimate gripe.

Then fine, I'll be thirsty. I'm tired of the argument that "drinks are more expensive elsewhere." It does not matter.

The fact is, Royal drastically raised prices. And, at most resorts and Caribbean bars (Royal's actual competition, not trendy restaurants), drinks are much cheaper. The fact that there are other places that charge more is irrelevant.

So well some of you may be content to suck it up, those of us complaining have a legitimate gripe.

I'm not saying you don't have cause for complaints. A sudden unexplained price increase is always cause for concern and investigation / discussion. I guess my (badly made) point is that whilst such drinks are comparatively expensive elsewhere people from those markets will not find Royals prices as objectionable and so will continue to cruise with the line and purchase drinks. I've always expected to be price gouged at any venue that has a captive audience and / or a monopoly. I pay stupidly high prices if I wish to eat or drink inside the stadium at a rugby match compared to the prices of the same products outside. I expect that and choose my actions accordingly. My chosen actions however will never include deliberately flouting the agreement I enter in to when purchasing a ticket. My other point was that I'm really looking forward to traveling in the US where it appears that everything is really inexpensive :-)

Edited by calypso73

So... now we're back to $49/day. Which is 3 alcohol drinks, 2 waters, 2 & colas, or some sort of one another. So if someone thinks someone is a heavy drinker for enjoying 3 to 4 alcoholic beverages like on vacation on a Cruise Ship and having a designated Capt steering the ship... I really don't care. In fact, I don't even care what someone else drinks as I would be on vacation and one of the last things I would be concerned with, is what someone sitting somewhere is drinking unless it looks tasty & satisfying.

#lifestooshort #thatsmyopinion #itsfiveoclocksomewhere