Grand Cayman - yea or nay?

cruising mickey

Hello,

I've been reading that Grand Cayman is less than gay friendly (not to the point of being like Jamaica, et.al.), so I'm just wondering if I should book an itinerary which includes Grand Cayman, stay on the ship when it docks / go ashore, or choose another itinerary.:confused:

Any and all information will be greatly appreciated.

Like Jamaica, Grand Cayman is indeed gay unfriendly. Not only would I not spend one red dent there I feel booking a cruise which dicks there subsidizes them, so personally I'd avoid it. Others may feel differently.

Like Jamaica, Grand Cayman is indeed gay unfriendly. Not only would I not spend one red dent there I feel booking a cruise which dicks there subsidizes them, so personally I'd avoid it. Others may feel differently.

Thanks for both replies so far.......Just wondering if anyone has any thoughts along the lines of the Bahamas (same as for Jamaica, et.al.).

The February RSVP cruise called on Grand Cayman and we had no issues.

In 1987 an RSVP cruise called on Grand Cayman and caused quite a stir; the next year an Atlantis cruise was turned way by the government.

After that there were people that worked hard to prevent that from happening again and in 2006 an Atlantis cruise was welcomed back - yes, there were protestors but there were also people out welcoming the gay tourists.

Atlantis Events all-gay charter has Grand Cayman on it's stop next Jan 2016 so you can be reasonably assured that it's a safe stop. They wouldn't stop there if it wasn't safe unlike Jamaica or the Bahamas. Like most all Caribbean islands which are religiously conservative and where homosexuality is taboo - GLBT tourist shouldn't have any issues as long as you respect their customs and stay within the tourist areas or take a ship's organized tour. Never wonder off alone or go to unfamiliar areas or wear expensive jewelry, etc. Just use common sense.

Atlantis Events all-gay charter has Grand Cayman on it's stop next Jan 2016 so you can be reasonably assured that it's a safe stop. They wouldn't stop there if it wasn't safe unlike Jamaica or the Bahamas. Like most all Caribbean islands which are religiously conservative and where homosexuality is taboo - GLBT tourist shouldn't have any issues as long as you respect their customs and stay within the tourist areas or take a ship's organized tour. Never wonder off alone or go to unfamiliar areas or wear expensive jewelry, etc. Just use common sense.

Are the Bahamas 'off limits' also? Didn't know that. It's hard to avoid Nassau on many Caribbean cruises. Enlighten me!

Are the Bahamas 'off limits' also? Didn't know that. It's hard to avoid Nassau on many Caribbean cruises. Enlighten me!

Not exactly gay friendly. I recall a charter stop there due to weather elsewhere, two guys got a lecture from a female cab driver about how sinful they were.

Not exactly gay friendly. I recall a charter stop there due to weather elsewhere, two guys got a lecture from a female cab driver about how sinful they were.

Not exactly gay friendly? Neither are most of the Caribbean islands, but I guess the lesser homophobic places are better than Jamaica. The bottom line is 'proceed with caution.'

You will likely be fine and safe in Grand Cayman, Jamaica or the Bahamas as long as you do not show PDA with each other. Whether you choose not to sail to one of these places due to their govt/religious beliefs is another issue and only you can decide if you want to make that choice.

For what it's worth, I have personally found the Spanish speaking islands/countries to be the most friendly and welcoming. Gay marriage is even legal in some states of Mexico [and federally recognized]. Also, the Honduran people are some of the nicest we have met in any place within the region.

Not exactly gay friendly? Neither are most of the Caribbean islands, but I guess the lesser homophobic places are better than Jamaica. The bottom line is 'proceed with caution.'

If a cab driver started lecturing me about homosexuality, I would have stop the cab and find another.