Jewel ~ S. Caribbean and Panama Canal ~ April 25th & May 2nd ~ My Diary

We sat on our balcony and watched for a while:

DSC07706_zpssbutz1tr.jpg

We came out into Lake Gatun and then cruised along in the canal for a while. It was very beautiful. We went up to the CL and had a nice view from there.

DSC07724_zpsg5nuctcq.jpg

DSC07725_zpsflu4bb6w.jpg

We went back to our balcony after our cabin was cleaned for some more viewing.

DSC07727_zpsaulmdqxb.jpg

Soon we came to the Mira Flores Bridge:

DSC_0504_zpsaxojtrub.jpg

DSC_0507_zpsyjqtskzl.jpg

Lunch was in the WJ today. Afterwards we walked around on Deck 11 for a while as we were going through the second set of locks. This was right after the bridge.

DSC_0527_zpsvskxjfoz.jpg

DSC07744_zpsecgk22dz.jpg

DSC07745_zpspl9ickky.jpg

Everyone was enjoying this!!

DSC07746_zpsbnaepx7s.jpg

DSC07759_zpsv9e875xy.jpg

DSC07751_zpsapa9ky3p.jpg

Beautiful pics: bring back lots of memories!

We did the Gatun looks, at least 20 times with the BR! We loved it: every time was kind of different! Miss doing it!

Thanks for the pics and this great review!!! ImageUploadedByForums1433191438.761299.jpg.5ff7ed4e7ee1d5add28774207b2d4705.jpg

This is one of those time: from the Bridge on BR.....we were guests of Captain Remo and his wife, Tove!

Edited by CRUISEMAMI

I assure you......a lot of research and trial and error have gone into our selections. You won't be disappointed. It would be even better if we could go with you as your personal guides!! :D

We would love to meet up with you on a future cruise! By the way, I've never had a personal guide before.

Jane,

Enjoying your review! We are headed to San Juan in November to cruise on the Adventure of the Seas. One question for you, why do you prefer the Hampton Inn over Embassy Suites? Thanks!

Well......the Embassy Suites is so big and soooo crowded. We've stayed there many times and it's been fine. It's not so crowded in September, but other times when we've stayed there, we've had to stand in such long lines for breakfast.....had a hard time getting a seat at the cocktail party, etc. At the HI......it was just a little nicer......a lot less crowded. The cocktail hour was out by the pool....so relaxed....comfortable seating. When it was over we just moseyed over to the grill, which was also by the pool, and had dinner. Not crowded....just a nice evening. The place isn't anything luxurious or fancy. I just liked it. When we were ready to leave in the morning.....there weren't crowds of people all over the lobby......we just walked right out and got a taxi right away. No muss....no fuss. We'll definitely check out staying there again if the price is right.

We spent the rest of the day doing "at sea" stuff like looking at pictures and picking out what we wanted. Which reminds me......I forgot to post this picture back on the Dominica page..........getting off the ship

Another favorite "at sea" activity for me is to stroll around outside on Deck 5. This is just the best. Great quiet and relaxing place to hang out. I much prefer this to the pool!!

DSC07499_zpseqfrvwsz.jpg

DSC07500_zpscmfb3zzt.jpg

DSC07498_zpsglxfnba9.jpg

DSC07501_zpsknqdyvde.jpg

DSC07496_zps8z05ju15.jpg

Hi Jane

We were on the Jewell for the Panama Canal cruise with you. And one of our favourite places to sit, read and watch the ocean go by was on deck 5. Like you said...quiet! Our aft suite was also great place to watch the wake! Looking forward to reading on about the canal cruise!

Linda

It wasn't long before we went through the last set of locks, but I laid down on the bed for a minute, and before I knew it, we were passing by Panama City. I took a little nap and missed a little of the last of the canal. John sat out on the balcony and took it all in, though....and I came out when we went under the bridge and out into the Pacific. So cool. There was an observation deck out near the last locks and John said everyone was cheering us on!!

DSC_0539_zpssn34kiax.jpg

DSC_0538_zpsbsonwhkf.jpg

DSC07772_zpskwdnnyaq.jpg

DSC07769_zpsts3efspn.jpg

DSC_0552_zpscq5rk1ro.jpg

DSC07773_zpsgwrqd9xf.jpg

And here we go.........

DSC07771_zpsrtu1k75a.jpg

DSC_0545_zpsrozvcfrd.jpg

It was a beautiful crossing.....one of our favorite cruises to do! We got a certificate in our cabin later saying that we had officially done this crossing on May 5, 2015! Cool!

Yes.......it is Cinqo de Mayo!!! We had a Meet and Mingle Margarita party scheduled for 5 o'clock that Karen worked really hard to put together. We were worried that not many people would come due to the time they assigned us to have this. We did this through the event co-ordinator and arranged it while we were on the last cruise. At first they wanted to charge us $10pp!!!! For chips and salsa?????? Se finally agreed to a $60 flat rate and we said Ok. We'd pass the hat at the party and hopefully get enough to cover the fee.

Anyway we had a part of the Safari Lounge for this.....and it was very nice!!! A couple of RCI personnel were there to greet us. We had a really nice turn out......30 people. Almost everyone there were the core people that were doing all the chatting on the roll call.....so that was great.

Everyone got their own drinks....we were provided with a bar tender, a couple of waiters and chips and salsa. We had plenty of donations to cover our cost and enough to tip the bar guys!

DSC07774_zpsr52xysgr.jpg

DSC07776_zpswwzarrmo.jpg

DSC07777_zps818odfkz.jpg

DSC07778_zpsh5y3pwbz.jpg

Hi Jane

We were on the Jewell for the Panama Canal cruise with you. And one of our favourite places to sit, read and watch the ocean go by was on deck 5. Like you said...quiet! Our aft suite was also great place to watch the wake! Looking forward to reading on about the canal cruise!

Linda

Hey Linda!! So nice to meet you and your family! Deck 5 was the best!! Hope you all had as much fun as we did on this cruise!

I hope the liquid sunshine at Gatun did not put a damper on things:)!

Lee.....not at all!! It rains every day there. But we had some nice sunshine at the end of the day. It was actually good that it was rainy, because otherwise....it would have probably been too hot!!

This party was so great. We all went around and introduced ourselves and told our screen name, which was nice. We didn't have a chance to do that at the other M&M. This was such a nice gathering and I'm so glad we did it! A big shout out and thank you to Karen and Skiergirl, too, for getting this together.

DSC07779_zpsywh6dsku.jpg

DSC07780_zpslh4etnzm.jpg

DSC07781_zpslc2ex1i4.jpg

DSC07782_zps0vw1owor.jpg

DSC07783_zpsmp1usttf.jpg

Since your review is so much better than anything I could possibly do, Jane....If you don't mind, I will just add one photo of the new Canal construction. We thought it was pretty amazing. (It is what we really wanted to see) But we did miss that colorful structure on the Panama City side. :D

037_zpse5eyl4ai.jpg

:)

Edited by Coralc

Since your review is so much better than anything I could possibly do, Jane....If you don't mind, I will just add one photo of the new Canal construction. We thought it was pretty amazing. (It is what we really wanted to see) But we did miss that colorful structure on the Panama City side. :D

037_zpse5eyl4ai.jpg

:)

Looks like they are a "tad" behind on the big dig.:rolleyes:

Such fun reliving the cruise! Was nice to have the aft balcony so that we could "lean" a little and see the new dig and the Panama City skyline and all the sights.

I thought it was interesting to see the huge dredging projects along the way. Hard to think they have to throw all that sand so very far.

Lou