Cruising with ONLY Carry On Luggage

Fogfog

That carry-on looks fine to me and it seems weird that the poster is being demanded to provide the make and model as proof.

I was asking for shopping information and not proof.

The bags are one of the styles Rick Steves always swears by and uses himself. (not the exact brand maybe but the two part carryon system)

Have used High Sierra AT3 Lite for many years

high-sierra-AT3-sierra-lite.jpghigh-sierra-at305-300x300.jpg

Oh by the way, we've flown business class or above for the last seven of ten flights as of late so baggage allowance is of little concern to us, ease of travel is.

Not for everyone, but the OP's question was if carryon only was something some cruisers do. Yes, some do. Most don't.

Just so everyone knows, I don't care what someone feels they need to bring, but I do take a bit of offence when somebody finds out I like Travel on only and get told things like, (and it happens a lot), "you must look terrible", "Don't want to sit downwind from you", "hope you eat all you meals at the buffet", "Why do you go on cruises then"

Relax, Celebrity loves Joni and me!

Thank-you for the information, I will look into this brand. Mine is a Swiss Gear and is 22.5 inches. It is very old and well traveled. :D I haven't been caught yet but I sense as they get stricter I will be.

My husband travels with the same set and we manage to get his Tux, 2 dress shirts, along with the rest of his clothes. Nobody has ever said he looks bad or smells either.

I'm not sure why these luggage threads always seem to turn into battles. If you like bringing big suitcases with lots of stuff that's fine by me. If you want to try downsizing I'll gladly share my tricks.

Edited by monicajay

We are taking an 11 day cruise in November. I have been reading this thread and watched a packing video of a person laying out the clothes on top of a carry on alternating top and bottom. He got a lot of stuff in it. I decided to experiment.

I have a very old Lands' End carry on, DH is 6'3" size 13 shoe ( for example purpose)

I packed one pair of sneakers, sock to fill shoes, 3 pair of pants, 8 undies, 10 shirts, polo and a couple of long sleeve and still had a little space left over! I was amazed!!

Awesome video...thank you so much for sharing!!

If you want to try downsizing I'll gladly share my tricks.

Please share away! We are leaving day after tomorrow on a month's trip. Yes, we'll be traveling by car and we have a pup and his "baggage," but I'm trying to cut drastically my "stuff."

I look forward to your tips. Thanks-chris

I employed the "bundling" technique last cruise...and, like you, I was amazed at how many items this method will accommodate. I took the added precaution of using tissue paper...minimal wrinkling.

Patsy

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hi Patsy....so is "bundling" the same concept as using the cubes?

It's different, you don't need the packing cubes to bundle. The video above shows the bundling method.

Ahhh....I see. Sorry I didn't watch that first!

I can see how both methods could work. Hubby liked the bundling method.

Thanks!

I see that many of you use packing cubes. I have been rolling my clothes for years, but wondered if there is a particular advantage to using cubes? Other than keeping like stuff together?

I use packing cubes and packing envelopes - just love them. I pack cubes by category - beach/ pool, tops, bottoms, etc..

I fold everything at home, nothing gets wrinkled. I don't take stuff out, wear clothes, then it goes back or laundry bag. And they make it easy to pack home.

I put "fancy" clothes in dry cleaning bags and they are going into a garment sleeve.

Ahhh....I see. Sorry I didn't watch that first!

I can see how both methods could work. Hubby liked the bundling method.

Thanks!

Hubby might also like our interpritation of bundling too.

Bundling is a tradition of wrapping a person in a bed accompianed by another as part of courting behaviour.

• 3 years later...

Looking over past threads for infor because we are doing a TA...it looks like it will be super easy to handle everything in a rolling/carryon sent through ...  Had great success last time... and like last time, doing laundry mid cruise gives us plenty of options.

PLUS  "capsule wardrobes" are so much easier to coordinate (TY P1nterest)