Epic West Med 2016 Haven Qs

Hi all -

We (+ DW, MIL & BIL) have taken the plunge for a European, western Mediterranian cruise in May of 2016 out of Barcelona. CC as been a great help in giving us the confidence to plan this cruise. Many thanks to ya'll! :)

DW & I have been on 7 Carnivals, 1 RCI, and 1 NCL (Getaway) cruises. We really liked the Getaway cruise so we booked the Escaped for its inaugural 7-day cruise out of Miami on November 14th ... yeah!

The MIL & BIL ... not so much. I think they cruised once or twice on Carnival.

We booked a 2 BR Haven cabin ... this is a BIG bump up for us, but the specials (3 & 4 guest free) made it possible at a decent price. We are very psyched! (sorry for the old school reference, but DW & I are in our mid 40s :))

Anyway, I just wanted to introduce ourselves to the board for this trip because I would like to post some questions in the future and use this thread as a base. Already, from reading the posts, we are learning a lot and also understand that we still have much to learn about this cruise.

So, allow me to pre-apologize for the anticipated "stupid questions," but we are hesitant wanna-be international travelers willing to learn!

Thanks to all who have walked the path and willing to show the way!

Start combing the Ports of Call boards for ideas on tours, tour operators, DIY walking tours, hints and timps and reviews and pictures of excursions! You will find so much information over there, and the resident experts are fantastic.

We have just recently returned from our Med cruise on the Epic. Like you we booked the 2 bedroom Haven and it is a wonderful suite. Let me remind you that one room is large with a fabulous bath and the second is quite small but does have its own bath. My SIL was happy with it because when we booked it was 3rd and 4th person for $499 so she got a deal.

This was our first trip to anywhere but the Caribbean so we researched, a lot. These boards were and still are the first place I look for info. Read reviews and ask a lot of questions and no there are not stupid questions if you truly don't know or can't find an answer. Enjoy planning!!

Thanks!

We are looking at flights and a question came up. We have found a direct flight from BCN to PHL leaving at 10:45 a.m. on the morning we return to Bacelona. Assuming we ask nicely, tip generously, and play the Haven card to disembark early, is it possible to make this flight?

If this was a domestic cruise in the POM, then I would be uneasy, but consider it possible.

Any thoughts would be appreciated ... I thought I read that the Epic returns to port very early 6:30 a.m. How far is BCN from the port? Is there a customs process at disembarkation?

Thanks!

I was on the EPIC in a Haven 2 Bedroom Family Villa (stateroom 16031) in February 2014 for a 7-day Western Caribbean itinerary and it enjoyed it so much that I am booking another Haven 2 Bedroom Family Villa in February 2016 for an 11 day Western Mediterranean itinerary out of (and returning to) Barcelona. If you have questions about the cruise ship or the Haven, feel free to ask and I will try to answer as best as I can. Enjoy your cruise!

Thanks!

We are looking at flights and a question came up. We have found a direct flight from BCN to PHL leaving at 10:45 a.m. on the morning we return to Bacelona. Assuming we ask nicely, tip generously, and play the Haven card to disembark early, is it possible to make this flight?

If this was a domestic cruise in the POM, then I would be uneasy, but consider it possible.

Any thoughts would be appreciated ... I thought I read that the Epic returns to port very early 6:30 a.m. How far is BCN from the port? Is there a customs process at disembarkation?

Thanks!

I can't answer for BCN as we embarked/disembarked in Rome. We did use the Haven priority disembark and we were off the ship by 8:15 but keep in mind that most passengers start their cruise in BCN not Rome. We just grabbed our luggage and caught our transportation. Customs at the airport was where we ended up spending a lot of time.

Just off the Epic yesterday having done this cruise in a 2BR Haven Family Suite - best cruise I've been on, amazing holiday. I believe you can disembark as soon as the Epic has cleared checks at the port, if I recall the priority disembarkation notice from the Concierge said we could disembark anytime between 6am and 9.15am. We got off near 9am and even at that time we got straight off, no queue, straight through port, short queue for taxi (10mins - this would be much less/non-existent at 6am I think), approx. 30 mins to BCN. Standard 39Euro set fee port to BCN. Hope that helps. Enjoy!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi - it's me again, hoping for more insight ...

We are looking at air fares from Philadelphia to Barcelona direct (the direct aspect is somewhat important). The bookings just opened up and the prices left us slack jawed ... The price of plane tix for DW & I is $2,500 (combined). We are novice trans-Atlantic travelers, so I ask: does this sound reasonable for early May travel?

I love the flight (timing & directness) and I would hate to lose it ... but I hate to overpay :)

Many thanks!

RE: Flights

$1250 pp for a NON-STOP return is not bad. You might find slightly better in May, because rates are higher June-August. I would estimate that your goal/best rate would be approx. $900RT.

Just my thoughts, a non-stop flight sounds perfect