Princess Transfer Downtown London to Southampton

Kenswing

Train travel even with bags is much easier than in the US. The train platforms are pretty much even to the cars. So you aren't going to be dragging bags up steps to get into the train car. There is often a space at the ends of the cars to stand your bag and room for carryon by your seat. We love to have comfort and see the countryside. So avoiding crowded buses and slower road travel is our choice.

We are taking the National Express bus for the August 13 cruise from the same Victoria Station as the Princess transfer. The total cost for 3 adults booked online is £33.50.

The bus departs every hour and the trip takes 2 hours and 15 minutes. We chose the 9:30am departure time which gets us to Southampton at 11:45am.

The only difference between the two is the National Express drops you off at the Southampton Coach station and requires a £10 cab ride to the port.

We have used this option a few times and it is very convenient and economical also.

We also have used the National Coach Express and have found it economical and efficient. I will say that we have used the Princess transfer from Southampton to LHR and found it seamless. We are planning on booking with NCE for August but have just been waiting to see how the train sked and pricing works out, I believe with the train you can only book 60 days out.

Just a word of caution to those considering leaving from Victoria station: The entire area was under construction when I was there in May. It was a pretty big mess over there. I have no info when it will be completed.

For clarity, the building works are around Victoria train station. The coach station is a bit up the road and is not really affected.

The works are due to go on until at least 2018 I believe.