Price of Toiletries and Suntan Lotion on Ship? ?

sc1234

We are booked for a 14 day P&O Fly cruise on Oceana next month. As our baggage allowance is only 20KG, I am a bit concerned about how we are going to pack everything we need for the 4 formal nights while still keeping with the 20kg. I had thought of just waiting and buying these items on-board but unsure of the selection and prices.

Hello there,

P&O provide 100ml each of shampoo, conditioner and hand/body lotion in your stateroom's bathroom. I'm fairly sure that they also provide shower gel.

I don't know how much suntan lotion would be in the onboard shops, but I'd hazard a guess that it would be rather expensive.

Why not bring small amounts of what you need onboard and then pick up enough to last you for the rest of the cruise in your first port of call?

You could wait to buy your suncream plus other toiletries like hair preparations etc once you get through security at the airport. You have to carry them in your hand baggage but they won't contribute your weighed luggage allowance. I often pick up stuff at Boots in Gatwick but I notice they don't do the suncream deals on their own brand which are available in my local store. I suppose they are taking advantage of the sales opportunity but I think it's probably cheaper than on board.

Unless you're a very messy eater, you don't need 4 outfits for the 4 formal nights. Two will do, or 1 at a pinch. If there's a gentleman in your party, he only needs 1 suit.

If your luggage is marginally overweight, take something out and put it in your coat pocket. Though not the sun tan cream, because they won't let you have that as a carry-on.

Edited by dsrdsrdsr

I'm planning on carrying my shoes and handbags in my hand luggage to save on weight and prevent them getting too crushed. Probably also my travel power block and phone chargers and fridge magnets., This should leave some weight for my preferred brands of sun cream and shampoos. I will be taking 4 formal dresses because it is nice to get the opportunity to wear them (they are relatively light), We also have a vow renewal onboard so one will also be used for this. I've also decided on mostly summery dresses for the other nights to save on weight, and maybe some long shorts and summer tops for shore excursions. I definitely will need to use the launderette on board so will pack some washing tablets/capsules the ones incorporating fabric softener since including a stay in Venice pre cruise it would be hard to pack lightly for 17 nights without a couple of loads of washing :)

I definitely will need to use the launderette on board so will pack some washing tablets/capsules the ones incorporating fabric softener since including a stay in Venice pre cruise it would be hard to pack lightly for 17 nights without a couple of loads of washing :)

I can't agree enough with this. It is well worth spending a couple of hours out of your fourteen night cruise to do some laundry. This way, you can reduce the amount of clothes you take with you and will possibly have room for those toiletries. I've said many times on this forum that nobody, on a large ship of perhaps 2-3,000 passengers will notice if you wear a skirt or top twice during a fourteen night cruise. I find that one long-sleeved shirt will do me for two evenings, meaning that I only take five or six once I've taken formal nights into account. Same with short-sleeved shirts for port days. I pack enough for the first week or so, then wash them all on a convenient sea day and wear them again the second week. Admittedly, I don't enjoy sunbathing so I'm happy to spend a few hours inside doing the laundry whilst my wife cooks on deck!

Thank you to everyone who took the time to reply - all great suggestions (I especially like the one where the man doing the laundry while the woman sun bathes :)) - must have a word with hubby about this. Hopefully panicking abut nothing and everything will fit in case perfectly. Counting the days !

Edited by sc1234

We don't mind making a couple of trips to the laundrette during a cruise and share the visits between us but I draw the line at ironing. It's amazing how many people you see who waste (IMO) hours of their cruising ironing EVERYTHING including hankies and underwear. Why? :confused:

We don't mind making a couple of trips to the laundrette during a cruise and share the visits between us but I draw the line at ironing. It's amazing how many people you see who waste (IMO) hours of their cruising ironing EVERYTHING including hankies and underwear. Why? :confused:

Ironing hankies and underwear is just wrong, whether done on a cruise ship or not!

I iron shirts and tops straight out of the launderette's washing machine whilst the underwear etc is in the drier. It really doesn't take that much out of your day, especially if there is nothing of interest going on.

Most of what I wash won't require ironing just a quick shake when I take it out of the dryer. If one of my husbands dress shirts needs laundering I will ask the room steward to take care of it to avoid ironing. I've never ironed socks or underwear and these will be the main part of my washes :)