Vancouver to Anchorage on Navigator

Does anyone have any experience buying duty free liquor on a trip that starts in Vancouver? In other words, is there duty free purchases available on board the first day/night? I'm not expecting duty free availability the rest of the cruise since we will be in Alaska.

Also, does it make sense to buy alcohol in Vancouver and take it on the ship (to be used when I return home)? I seem to recall buying alcohol in the Caribbean, and the liquor stores would send them to the cruise ship for me.

There is no duty free alcohol on sale onboard (unless the ultra premium wines can be taken home -- not sure). Here is a link that should help you with the both the Canadian and U.S. government requirements on purchasing alcohol to take home http://www.dutyfreecanada.com/customs-allowances/

It looks like the easiest way to handle the purchase of alcohol is to purchase it on the way back to the U.S.

Thanks TC. I don't think I'll be able to do it. The airport duty free is in the departures terminal only. Unless there is a duty free shop at the cruise terminal, I'm out of luck.

While I am not certain about YVR (Vancouver), more and more international airports have packaging that seals your alcohol purchase in bags that are accepted by customs. We had no problem whatsoever taking alcohol from Italy - even with a stop on the way home. Still, since there are no Duty Free shops in the departure area, this option may not work.

I was hoping to buy some 17 year Macallan. I actually like it better than the 18 yr. Retail is about 180-200. i was hoping to save $40-50. Not a game changer, but it would be a nice conversation piece. Plus, it would just sit in my closet once on board until the end of the cruise.

Since we are flying from the US to Canada (Vancouver), and then to Alaska on the cruise, I was trying to figure out a way to buy duty free.

On a typical trip, you may fly to another country, and have an opportunity to shop for all sorts of stuff like perfume, purses, chocolate, alcohol, even cigars before boarding the flight home.

I just thought if I was in Vancouver, I would have the ability to do some duty free shopping before "returning" to the United States (cruise to Alaska).

So far, it doesn't seem to to fit.

If anyone has any ideas, toss them out.

I would carry a bottle to save $40-50! Actually in live in NJ where I see you can buy the 17 year for $140 and the store claims they will ship to GA. I don't know the shipping price. I also see it for $150 in NYC. So take a trip up east. (I would actually recommend NYC over NJ for the sights and things to do.)