Carnival airport transfer - with NO flight booked. Does it work?

We have booked an airport transfer for DH as he will be dropping off the rental car at the airport and then picking one up after the cruise. We have now received 2 emails from Carnival asking us to purchase airport transfers but highlighting the words that there is no guarantee that we will be picked up if we do not provide our airline information. When I first called Carnival, they said that it was due to our having put incorrect airline info in (we are flying into one airport, driving to pick up a family member and then driving on to the airport closest to the cruise departure). I will be calling Carnival again today as we received another of their emails last night. It seemed the best choice as taxi rates were much higher than the transfers and even our TA thought it was a good idea. Has anyone ever had to do this? Were there any problems?

We've done it before....we just gave them the information they wanted about the flight. But we didn't really have one booked. ;)

The only reason they want that information is to be certain to get you to the airport on time.

We have booked an airport transfer for DH as he will be dropping off the rental car at the airport and then picking one up after the cruise. We have now received 2 emails from Carnival asking us to purchase airport transfers but highlighting the words that there is no guarantee that we will be picked up if we do not provide our airline information. When I first called Carnival, they said that it was due to our having put incorrect airline info in (we are flying into one airport, driving to pick up a family member and then driving on to the airport closest to the cruise departure). I will be calling Carnival again today as we received another of their emails last night. It seemed the best choice as taxi rates were much higher than the transfers and even our TA thought it was a good idea. Has anyone ever had to do this? Were there any problems?

Just fill in fake flight info, making sure those flights really do exist. Then you should be fine.

we used to do this all the time. We would always fly in the day before and the next day just take the hotel shuttle to the airport and meet up with one of the Carnival representatives. Never had any issues.

just have the shuttle or cab driver drop you off at one of the baggage claims. We always used to get dropped off at Delta.

Edited by dubois
More info

We flew in to LAX a day early for our cruise out of Long Beach. We took the hotel shuttle back to the airport the next day to catch the shuttle. There were instructions with our transfer verification as to which terminal to go to if not flying in that day. Not sure if instructions are that specific for other airports.

I once had no transfers, and just tracked someone down at the airport and bought it there. I probably would have done better with a cab, but it wasn't in any of the 50 states.

The online check in now has a place to include that you are coming in days early and if you are staying at a hotel after the cruise. I was able to enter my flight information two days before with no issue for a Carnival transfer. The ClipBoard folks had me noted as a "hotel " person.

Yes. It works. I have done this returning a rental car numerous times. No Problemo.

How do you know what time to meet them? We are flying into Galveston the night before our cruise and then were planning on taking transfers from the airport to the cruise terminal the next morning. Just wondering how we know what time.

:confused:

How do you know what time to meet them? We are flying into Galveston the night before our cruise and then were planning on taking transfers from the airport to the cruise terminal the next morning. Just wondering how we know what time.

:confused:

I was told that the shuttles start (at Jacksonville airport) at 10:00 a.m. and run every 20 - 30 minutes so just meet the rep at baggage claim anytime after 10:00. Should be similar for most ports. You could call to get more specific info if you wish.

I did this in Galveston in January, as did another woman I had met through the roll call. I just called Carnival direct and booked it in advance without any flight info. Just met at the appointed time and place and all was well. I thought about faking a flight to do it online, but a call to Carnival negated having to do that. There were people there also who were just "walk ins" and did not have a prior reservations. They paid there and were signed up without issues but they had wait until the end to board after all the reservation people had gotten their boarding order numbers, so they were on a much later bus.

• 2 weeks later...

Just thought I would come back and post our experience. DH dropped us off at the port with all the luggage and headed to the airport to drop off the rental car. Because we were a little later leaving than anticipated that morning and there was a tragic accident along the way that held us up over an additional hour, we arrived almost 2 hours later than we had planned. Still he was at the baggage claim by 1:55 p.m. He waited until 2:45 and still no Carnival rep. He began asking around and was told that the last Carnival shuttle had already left. He scrambled and found a Supershuttle rep who drove him quickly to the port. He was one of the last passengers to board! The next day, we took all our documentation, including the supershuttle receipt to Guest Services. They apologized and credited our account the amount of the shuttle. They also guaranteed us there would be no issue on the way to the airport at disembarkation to pick up another rental car, which there wasn't.

Although all worked out in the end, I'm not sure we would do it this way again unless there was absolutely no other option. The stress was immense for us waiting to see if he would make it onboard and for him while waiting for the shuttle that never arrived.

Miami has rental car shuttles that run between the airport and port. We've used them several times and they are quicker and run more often than Carnival's transfer.Just be sure to save your rental car papers, they will ask to see it.

Hmmm, did this in Orlando. We had been in town for a week before the cruise. I had no problems booking the transfer and I did not have a flight nor did I pretend to have one

So what were the logistics of this, how did you plan it, we are coming in 2 days before the cruise and staying 3 additional days after?