Choosing currency conversion on your set sail for non $ using guests

Hi Folks,

Just a word of caution when checking your final bill on the last morning of the cruise. I always choose to allow my credit card provider to use their currency exchange rate on the setsail documentation.

I was onboard the Allure last week and disembarked on Sunday. When we were leaving on Sunday morning there was no final bill outside our door. We were tight for time and the queue outside guest services was long so we were told that a copy would be e-mailed to my e-mail address. I received a copy this morning and have noticed that Royal Caribbean have used their currency conversion rate which is terrible when compared to my credit card providers. The rate applied by RC was €1 to $1.07 while my card was using a rate of €1 to $1.12. While this would not amount to much on a normal bill, my wife had bought a piece of jewellery on-board which cost $2,400 so it makes quite a difference.

RC are investigating but claim to be unable to locate my setsail and the online copy is no longer accessible to me.

We had this problem once although mercifully not for such a huge amount. We were told in future to check at GS within 24 hours of boarding to make sure they don't use their rate. After that it is too late to change apparently.

Not sure if that is always true since one time I didn't notice the mistake until we got our final bill and I was still able to go get it changed. However I understand the OP's point since they didn't receive a final bill. So hope it works out for you.

At least on the newer ships you can check your account online, but I'm not sure if they mention the total or conversion.

Royal charges 3% conversion fee, plus whatever exchange rate they use. So most times it is better to let them charge you in US$ and use your credit card company exchange rate.