throwing streamers off the decks when leaving port

Yes this use to happen all the time in NYC . Our first cruise back in 1981 on the Home Lines Oceacic it happen . We also had a Bonvoyage party . We had 15 people come on board for the party!! What a blass . It got us started cruising . Juot off the Carnival Miracla 2 weeks ago . And just this week booked another cruise for next summer on the Crown Pincess a 9 day cruise from NYC . Our 61st cruise . You can't even get by the piers if your not going anymore .

Mr Veendam

Isn't that the truth...UP thru ther 80's I think people were still allowed to board

We did many cruises at this time pre-children...didn't get back into it until 1998, I still like land vacations best, and I really feel that land tours are the only way to see Europe...but the Northern Europe(Baltic) does peek some interest with me, have you done that?

We just are back from Tahiti...8-22 sailing and 3 wonderful days post( like that land:) ) and have plans for a partial canal in JAN.

Out of all your cruises...what/who/where has left the most lasting impression?

Take Care:)

The last time I recall a cruise line providing streamers for sailaway was on the late great Royal Cruise Lines' Crown Odyssey transAtlantic, 9-90.

I provided my own several times in San Francisco, but of course, the environmentalists disapprove.

I am taking 2 packs of 20 streamers with me on my next cruise. If not allowed to throw them off the side, they will be thrown as I see the 2006 in while on board.

I used to love throwing the streamers off the side when leaving port, it was a wonderful tradition. I cannot see why there would be a problem doing so now as the ones I bought are recycled paper and they disolve in water anyway, so no pollution problem with them.

I think that the PC brigade got a bit too far sometimes.

Goldryder

I think they go too far too often!

That of course is another story, and perhaps not for this forum!!

Well I am seriously contemplating letting one pack of 20 go over the side at Valparaiso on December 18th when we leave. I wonder if anyone else will join in with me. Its a great cruising tradition IMO and sad that its so frowned upon now.

The last time I recall a cruise line providing streamers for sailaway was on the late great Royal Cruise Lines' Crown Odyssey transAtlantic, 9-90.

I provided my own several times in San Francisco, but of course, the environmentalists disapprove.

Do you know what i say about the environmentalists....throw them overboard so they can be closer to nature

;) I believe that is what those multi-colored paper streamers you throw over the side when departing the pier were called. In the 30's the Deck Stewards would go up and down the upper open decks with big baskets of them and give you as many as you wanted. As the ship would pull away from the pier the steamers would be almost solid between the ship and pier until they broke. This I remember from Matson ships between Calif and points west into the Pacific. I have a picture taken from the pier as we sailed from NYC in 1960 on the Constitution and no sign of any of us with the streamers on deck. All of us are dressed in suits, furs, hats , etc. Some are waving paper pom-poms.

• 1 month later...
;) I believe that is what those multi-colored paper streamers you throw over the side when departing the pier were called. In the 30's the Deck Stewards would go up and down the upper open decks with big baskets of them and give you as many as you wanted. As the ship would pull away from the pier the steamers would be almost solid between the ship and pier until they broke. This I remember from Matson ships between Calif and points west into the Pacific. I have a picture taken from the pier as we sailed from NYC in 1960 on the Constitution and no sign of any of us with the streamers on deck. All of us are dressed in suits, furs, hats , etc. Some are waving paper pom-poms.

I remember also waving goodbye to my grandparents and parents on different occassions in the 50's and 60's. Part of the reason I believe it is not done is who is there to throw them to. In those days we came to see our family sail off. Noboby is allowed near except the passengers. What fun is it throwing them to an empty pier ? :confused:

In the early 90's we did have them passed out to us to throw over the side into an empty bay. I have also seen them used on board during the outside gala's to include New Years Eve...:cool:

We were provided streamers to throw on the Golden Odyssey (RCL) when we departed Atherns in 1990.

Unfortunately we threw them only to the guys letting the lines go.:)

We always had the streamers when we sailed in the 1970's. 1980s. At teh start of the World Cruise on QE2 out of NYC in 2003 some poeple were throwing them..great fun(& champagne).

I always had a party in my cabin decorated with streamers & balloons....& of course champagne!

I must admit that I misread the title of this thread as, "Throwing STEAMERS off the decks when leaving port".

I had this vision of steamer trunks being tossed overboard...I even read the first post as this and was intrigued!

Perhaps I'm related to Emily Litella!

I must admit that I misread the title of this thread as, "Throwing STEAMERS off the decks when leaving port".

I had this vision of steamer trunks being tossed overboard...I even read the first post as this and was intrigued!

LOL

I've seen that also......when there is a FOD party & a brawl starts over who looks best!

"Never mind"

• 3 weeks later...

Wow!!! This thread brought back happy memories. I can remember as a child in the 50's and 60's throwing streamers in NY when My Mom and I would sail home to Norway for the summer on the old SS Stavangerfjord (one of the loves of my life) and Bergensfjord. I'd throw them to my Dad and we'd hold tight to each other til the ship started to move and they'd break. He'd walk along the pier beside the moving ship as far as he could and I'd cry when he had to stop and he got smaller and smaller as we moved away. And in Norway too when we left to go back....my family was all there and streamers kept the bond til the last minute. Lovely memories that will never come again in the times we live in today. I treasure them and thank someone for starting this thread.

Penny

Archived