Port Canaveral staying options

first_timer_08

My parents are taking their first cruise (yay!) from Port Canaveral. They are landing a day and a half before the cruise. I'm planning a trip to the Kennedy space center for them the day before the cruise.

What would be the most convenient hotel for them to stay? Preferably someone who will give shuttle options from the airport as well as to the Pier.

Also, since this is a pitstop in a much larger itinerary, they will be carrying a lot of luggage. I am hoping they can keep most of it in the hotel that they are staying and carry only enough for the 3 day cruise. Will the hotels hold the luggage for them? Even though once they are back from the cruise they won't be staying there?

Thanks!!

My parents are taking their first cruise (yay!) from Port Canaveral. They are landing a day and a half before the cruise. I'm planning a trip to the Kennedy space center for them the day before the cruise.

What would be the most convenient hotel for them to stay? Preferably someone who will give shuttle options from the airport as well as to the Pier. The Orlando airport is a 50+ minute drive from Port Canaveral - they are better off finding a hotel that meets their needs/budget and then arranging for their own transport. A one-way rental car is likely your cheapest and best option, but shared shuttles (Travelynx and Cocoa Beach Shuttle) and private car service (executive VIP) are easy to arrange.

Also, since this is a pitstop in a much larger itinerary, they will be carrying a lot of luggage. I am hoping they can keep most of it in the hotel that they are staying and carry only enough for the 3 day cruise. Will the hotels hold the luggage for them? Even though once they are back from the cruise they won't be staying there? Check with the hotel, but doubtful - would the hotel want the liability if something goes missing during the 3-day cruise?

Thanks!!

Good luck and congrats for helping your parents to plan this trip. :)

Edited by JohninDC

We prefer to stay in Orlando and then drive to the port the morning of the cruise; most others prefer to stay in the PC/Cocoa Beach area. Some hotels will shuttle you to the port and all of the car rental places will shuttle you.

IF (notice the big "IF") they can get a good weekly deal on a rental it might work out to leave the rental car (& extra bags in the trunk) at a hotel offering cruise parking deals (stay one night and park for free while you cruise). Post cruise they can shuttle back to the hotel, jump into the rental car and head off to the next stop.

www.parksleepfly.com and www.stay123.com are two good sources for finding hotels offering these deals - or just search this board for suggestions on PC area hotels.

I would suggest (it's cocoa beach...) but The Doubletree Cocoa Beach oceanfront. We have enjoyed our stay there and I am pretty sure they have a shuttle. If not if it was me I would rent a car for the day. A lot of the hotels I have stayed at or worked for will keep a hold of the luggage long as it's not an extreme amount until they are back. But it's best to check with the hotel directly.