Long lines to get Pompeii tickets in the morning?

smartpeach

We've pre-booked a private tour in Naples for Pompeii, Sorrento and Positano for August. The tour company suggested that we do Pompeii last at (the end of the day) because August is the peak month for tourists. They don't want us to get stuck in traffic heading back to the ship. But the afternoon is the hottest part of day.

I'm travelling with 2 kids and 2 seniors. If we do Pompeii in the afternoon the heat will be too unbearable. So we've opted to do Pompeii first thing in the morning. However, I've been warned that the lines for the tickets can be very long. Pre-paying online doesn't seem to be feasible either as it's too expensive (€19 vs €11).

Can anyone share their experience with Pompeii ticket lines in August (morning)?

Thanks!

:)

Far be it for us to disagree with a local tour company/guide. But DW and I have gone to Pompeii 3 times (always on our own and in the morning) and never waited more then 10 minutes to buy tickets. About the only time we waited more then a few minutes was when we decided to join a tour (conducted by one of the official Pompeii guides) that was organizing at the main entrance. We had to wait about 30 minutes for that tour to start (the guide waited until we had 10 people in the group).

As to the heat issue, as you can guess this is really dependent on the actual weather the day you are at the ruins. But if it is a hot clear day, the morning is always going to be a better option then in the afternoon.

Hank

Only been to Pompeii once in the summer. Got there around 9:30 and my husband and I waited in line maybe 20 min. tops. Then. like Hlitner we decided to join a tour. Apparently 6 folks had already been waiting for quite a while and once we were added to the group, the other tourists were ready to start. Our guide continued to insist we needed 2 more people. At that point, a mass mutiny occurred and all six of those tourists headed for the audio-booth. Suddenly our guide had a change of heart and decided he COULD give a tour with only eight participants. (Really glad we did it with a guide).

Only been to Pompeii once in the summer. Got there around 9:30 and my husband and I waited in line maybe 20 min. tops. Then. like Hlitner we decided to join a tour. Apparently 6 folks had already been waiting for quite a while and once we were added to the group, the other tourists were ready to start. Our guide continued to insist we needed 2 more people. At that point, a mass mutiny occurred and all six of those tourists headed for the audio-booth. Suddenly our guide had a change of heart and decided he COULD give a tour with only eight participants. (Really glad we did it with a guide).

That is a great story and too typical of Italy. Those guides get the money (or most of it) from what you pay and if 10 people pay 10 Euros each this is a pretty decent job. But sometimes they do need to use better judgement as 8 are surely better then 10. But consider the cruise lines that will usually have 45-60 persons in a single group! And for this you get to pay even more money. I guess some folks just like running in a herd, but not moi.

Hank