How reliable are the hydrofoil times from Sorrento to Naples Beverello?

suzan99

Our ship leaves at 6 pm. We want to take the 4:25 hydrofoil which arrives at Naples Beverello right next to the port at 5:05. I know it's cutting it kind of close but the earlier one is 2:00 pm which does give us much time in Sorrento. Do you have to be on the ship at 5:30 (ie will they leave without you if you are there at 5:40?)

Our plan is to take the train to Herculaneum, stay 2 hours and then go to Sorrento for lunch. We thought about going to Sorrento first but don't want to first because my husband and daughter will be tired and will probably not want to do Herculaneum in the afternoon.

Our other option in taking the train back but we would have to take the 3:25 train back because the 4:07 train arrives at 5:12 and we would still need to get to the port.

Third option - hiring a taxi from the port to drive to the ruins, wait then drive to Sorrento and then either taking the taxi back (but would probably take longer due to traffic) or have the taxi drop us off and take the hydrofoil back. We don't want to do a car service because they want 300 euros but can probably do a taxi for under 200.

I think the times are reliable; the question is more whether the late-arriving ferry from Sorrento offers enough time to get back to your ship.

If the all aboard time is 5:30, I would NEVER count on being allowed back on the ship later. Sure, ship tours may be delayed, and they may let you on at 5:40 -- but then again, they may not.

Personally, I feel ships have shortened their day at Naples -- most used to stay until 7:00, which gave a comfortable margin if taking the later ferry. (Perhaps to discourage folks from touring on their own....:cool:)

For all the reasons I stated in another post recently, I think it makes more sense to do Sorrento first. Having stayed there for a week, I can confirm most of the stores do close between 12-3 (although restaurants will be open).

If that's not an option, I'd take the 3:25 train back from Sorrento. That gives you enough time for lunch and a little wander. And it leaves the later train as a fallback.

Word of warning -- the Circumvesuviana trains are less apt to run to schedule than the ferries. They may not run exactly to the scheduled minute.

Thanks for the replies so far. Here is our Plan C. More expensive but seems to give the most time.

Hire a taxi at the port in Naples at around 7:45 - 8:00 am arrive at Herculaneum at 8:30 depart at 10:30, arrive in Sorrento at 11:30. Depart Sorrento at 3:15. Do you think 1 hour 45 minutes is ample time to get from Sorrento to the Port in Naples by 5:30? This would give us 2 hours in Herculaneum and 3 hours 45 minutes in Sorrento.

Just wondering why some many on here don't like Sorrento? I realize there is not a lot of site/historical things to see but the photos/views look amazing. We just want somewhere to eat lunch, get a gelato, enjoy amazing views and my daughter wants to go in the water.

Thanks for the replies so far. Here is our Plan C. More expensive but seems to give the most time.

Hire a taxi at the port in Naples at around 7:45 - 8:00 am arrive at Herculaneum at 8:30 depart at 10:30, arrive in Sorrento at 11:30. Depart Sorrento at 3:15. Do you think 1 hour 45 minutes is ample time to get from Sorrento to the Port in Naples by 5:30? This would give us 2 hours in Herculaneum and 3 hours 45 minutes in Sorrento.

Just wondering why some many on here don't like Sorrento? I realize there is not a lot of site/historical things to see but the photos/views look amazing. We just want somewhere to eat lunch, get a gelato, enjoy amazing views and my daughter wants to go in the water.

I can't comment on the traffic other than that traffic does tend to get very congested on the Sorrentine peninsula (there aren't many road choices) and can really crawl along...

As for Sorrento itself, I think it suffers by comparison. For me, the food is better in Naples and there is more of historic interest there. And Sorrento isn't as pretty as the towns of the Amalfi Coast or the island of Capri according to many. The best views tend to be from the water -- which you won't get unless you are taking the ferry.

I guess the words I'd use to describe Sorrento are "touristy" and "inauthentic". The food I found to be Italian filtered through what the owners thought American or British tourists would like. (So more akin to Italian-American than true Italian....)

HOWEVER, you should go and form your own opinion. Sorrento has its admirers as well as its detractors. :-)

Edited by cruisemom42

I'm in the same predicament. In fact, I just posted the same question just a few days ago.

I would like to take the ferry, since it's scheduled to arrive at 5:05pm. But I was told that if there's a mechanical problem with the ferry, there won't be any time to drive back to Naples.

I've hired AP Tours to take us to Pompeii, Sorrento and Positano. Their rates are very reasonable and highly recommended here. Why don't you email them and inquire how much a half day tour of Herculaneum and Sorrento will cost? They'll give you a discount if you take the 2:30pm ferry back to Naples. With the taxi and train fares, the price difference might not be that much. It will also be less stressful for all of you.

Edited by smartpeach