Denali flight seeing

kkbrig

I had thought I had this one picked out, had planned to do the Southface McKinley plus glacier landing flight. But after BQ pointed out that I may not get to even see McKinley on this flight (unless I do a summit flight), it got me back to the website and rethinking it all. Basically, it looks like each tour adds another 15 minutes and $20- $60. It's a slippery slope once you begin upgrading!! Since I am paying for 6 people, all the increases are times 6. I don't want to cheap out, but I also don't want to go crazy spending!! I am wondering if any one who has been on multiple flights can tell me if you thought the extra time was definitely worth it, or if we would feel completely satisfied with one of the shorter ones.

For reference-

1)$290-Southface- 1.5 hour

2)Add $60 and 15 min for Base Camp (it seems to add the east and west sides)

3) Add an additional $40 and an additional 15 min for Grand Denali (this adds the north side to the above)

4) Add $20 but no extra time for summit (now we are up to $410!)

I am leaning towards #1 or #2 above, and would love to hear confirmation that those are great choices! But would also love to hear arguments for the other 2!

Thanks! (this is my last thing excursion to decide on!! Yeah!!)

An alternative question- is how important is the skiplane experience? You mention costs many times, this is adding as well?

What you are going to find, are rave reviews about most flights people take, even with the single trip traveler. The negatives may be due to less than optimal weather conditions, some people are disappointed in rain as an example. A multi flight traveler is going to perhaps be far more selective, due to the experiences, as I am.

These flights are always enjoyed, greatly, when chosen by people who are interested in doing them. (a whole another story with people dragged along :) )

My summit comment is a possibility only. Nonsummit, (going over the top) Flights can and do see the summits. But if it is a "must do and priority" then a summit flight is probably the superior choice.

Just my 2 cents:

We just got back from our DIY land tour, and we had reserved a Base Camp plus glacier landing for 4 people with Talkeetna Air Taxi on 6/5. Unfortunately, the weather was such that the peak was not visible, and our only option was South Face withOUT glacier landing. We did it anyway, and we flew with 2 people who had been waiting since the morning before to be able to go up at all so we actually felt fortunate, and even though we were a bit disappointed, we absolutely loved it. We'd watched the glaciers calve on the ship, we'd trekked on a glacier, but this offered us a new perspective of how enormous (long) a glacier can be. It also gave us some pretty dramatic views of mountains.

BUT, I will say that after it was over we talked about how we wished we were able to see even more. We would have paid just about anything to clear the weather and do the Base Camp flight.

So, my advice would be to book a higher priced/longer flight and then be absolutely psyched if the weather cooperates and you actually get to do it.