New dinning package?

Maybe it is just me, but I really don't see the necessity to eat at more than one specialty restaurant for dinner each night.

Completely disagree. On Escape, I could completely see us going for tapas around 5:30 or so and then going for a regular full dinner around 8:30.

I too will be curious to hear whether buying the new plan for the full length of the plan allows for unlimited "seatings."

Edited by Dave85

Completely disagree. On Escape, I could completely see us going for tapas around 5:30 or so and then going for a regular full dinner around 8:30.

I too will be curious to hear whether buying the new plan for the full length of the plan allows for unlimited "seatings."

Hey, that is why we all have opinions. For me, I would never think of going to two restaurants and for you, it is something you enjoy. It would be interesting, though, how many people do what you do versus those that actually have two meals in one night at different restaurants versus those of us that only go to one restaurant each night. It would also be interesting to know if this is correct, if it was made for financial reasons (stopping those eating in two restaurants per night) or for passenger satisfaction reason (making it easier for passengers to make one reservation each night, by stopping those that take up seats in multiple restaurants per night).

Right now under explore & plan -> dining options, I see 3, 4, 5, 6, and 7 night options, all with the same description. I don't have options for 3-6 days and then a separate "unlimited" plan. So I take that to mean I am buying 7 sittings. If, in one evening, I go to Cagney's, Le Bistro, and then do 5 upcharges, my interpretation is that my package has been exhausted.

If they were selling a package that was good for 7 sittings/meals, I would expect them to call it a 7-meal package. Since they are actually calling it a 7-day package, I expect it to be good for 7 days. I would be very displeased if they deducted more than one day in the course of a single day!

Personally, it is not appealing to me to visit two restaurants in one evening, but I have certainly had a specialty lunch (Teppanyaki) and a specialty dinner on the same day, and with the new packages, I fully expect to be able to do that and have it count for only one day of my package.

Edited by hawkeyetlse

The NCL rep also said there will be changes to the Cagney's menu. It is still included in the UDP, however there will be "higher" cuts of meat on the menu that are offered at a upcharge. I'm suspecting that's where the rumor of a la carte Cagney's was coming from.

Based on the FAQ on the website, everything should be included... I guess we'll see how this pans out.

------------------------------------------------

ARE ANY MENU ITEMS EXCLUDED FROM SPECIALTY DINING PACKAGES?

No, all items listed on the menus are included in the package. Additional entrée charges also apply for dining at Cagney’s Steakhouse and Le Bistro.

Based on the FAQ on the website, everything should be included... I guess we'll see how this pans out.

------------------------------------------------

ARE ANY MENU ITEMS EXCLUDED FROM SPECIALTY DINING PACKAGES?

No, all items listed on the menus are included in the package. Additional entrée charges also apply for dining at Cagney’s Steakhouse and Le Bistro.

The rep said some select high end cuts will be added to the menu for a upcharge. Being from the Midwest that makes me think that they might be adding Kobe cuts or some Black Angus cuts to the menu which typically go for $40-50 on land for a upcharge of $10. The Rib eye, NY Strip and Filet Mignon will probably remain free and also be joined by prime rib.

The 3 night option has caught my eye. Might buy it on the first day.

I wonder what else NCL will introduce. It would be nice of them to tell us whats up and coming.

The rep said some select high end cuts will be added to the menu for a upcharge. Being from the Midwest that makes me think that they might be adding Kobe cuts or some Black Angus cuts to the menu which typically go for $40-50 on land for a upcharge of $10. The Rib eye, NY Strip and Filet Mignon will probably remain free and also be joined by prime rib.

I don't doubt that's what the rep said. I'm just saying, in my opinion, that doesn't match the current FAQs. They say everything on the menu is included, which to me, would include the upcharge items. I guess we'll know more after implementation. Luckily I'm not cruising until April, so I have time to see how it actually plays out before purchasing!

Sure, we have a couples hours each evening to enjoy the various specialty spots for a couple of weeks. Maybe I'll take up drinking, so I can chill during the down time in the up time restaurants.

The upgrade uncharged specialties might be prepared correctly, but if not we'll just reorder and hope the 2nd time is a charm, not having to wait for it to be done right.

Hey, it's Europe with an Asian crew and a Viking (I mean Norwegian) staff. What could go wrong?

Just curious about some wording here in this thread. It has been my impression that the 'old' dining plan was called Ultimate Dining Plan. I see references within this thread referring to it as the "Unlimited" plan. Was this ever official? Or just a renaming of the plan that fit in line with the fact that some people would go to multiple venues in the same evening?

I can see why folks would like to keep the option of being able to visit multiple restaurants in the same day but with this new set up for the specialty plan I do not see how this could possibly be feasible. Especially with the larger ships.

Why wouldn't everyone just purchase the 3 day plan...eat all you can eat sushi at lunch for $7. Moderno for the salad bar at 5:30. Early Illusionarium show for $10. Dinner at Ocean Blue for $15 and then any where you like for dessert. ?

This just makes no financial sense with the new up-charges. The base price for the specialty package plus the up charge is looks to be equivalent to the cost of the non included specialty venues. They have never been included and it is doubtful they will start 'giving away' admission to these venues. If NCL really wanted the dining packages to be unlimited food for the day then there would not be a charge in Le Bistro and Cagney's when you order an additional entree.

This new option of select number of days for specialty dining is likely to increase the pre-order sales. The comments in this thread already can help to verify that eventuality. There is not enough space available within the specialty restaurants to accommodate unlimited dining per day for every guest. There are already enough reports of people being unable to get into specialty restaurants even when they have a package. In my opinion that is not acceptable and will be even more-so going forward. If I were to purchase a specialty dining package and could not use it in the restaurants of my choice on board the ship I would be requesting my money back...even if I had partially used the plan.

As much as I can understand why some folks would want to visit multiple venues within the same day I don't think that this will continue to happen. Availability needs to be there for everyone and the cruise line needs to make a profit. I believe NCL needs to clarify this issue before August rolls around. I can see some very irate customers believing one thing and who might find out differently after they board. As an example with a 3 day purchase: first day is a full sea day so you go to the Sushi spot for lunch, appetizers at Le Bistro and the Illusionarium for the late dinner show. The next night you go to your pre-reserved dinner at Cagney's where at the end of the meal you are presented a bill for the full amount because you had used up your dining plan the day before. Who would want a surprise like that?

I realize the precedent has been set for multiple daily visits with the present UDP but it is just not realistic especially in light of the up charge venues being included in the new plan. I believe people will have to adjust their expectations.

Rochelle

Just got off the phone with a Norwegian rep:

Under the new UDP each place counts as a sitting if your not on the full cruise plan. This means the poster who stated that you could do Cagney's twice and then a place that had the upcharge was correct.

That was how I interpreted what I read, also.

That's what I'm hoping. Years ago it use to be $15 all you could eat, it was a great deal.
That was such a great deal! We did that a couple nights on our Spirit cruise. I'm wondering if this is how it will work. If so, we will buy the 3 night just for this reason to use it at the Tapas place on Escape. Edited by LrgPizza