LA pre post cruise

crisp1

We are cruising out of Tahiti and stopping in LA both ways next month. One night going, 2 on the return. Going we arrive late afternoon, our flight the next day is at 3:30 pm- so a hotel with free airport shuttle and breakfast would be nice with a restaurant in/near for dinner. On the return our flight gets in at 9:50 pm Saturday and our flight is at 11am on Monday. I think we'll be exhausted after the 8.5 hr flight, so I don't think we'll be in the mood for much sightseeing on Sunday. A pool, decent restaurants and either an airport shuttle or inexpensive cab to/from airport hotel- maybe near some shopping

Thanks for any help

Slightly confused. I'm assuming you're sailing out of San Pedro. Check out the Crowne Plaza or the DoubleTree in San Pedro pre cruise.

Post cruise Santa Monica is a nice area to stay in.

Wouldn't recommend staying near the airport as there is nothing near there.

Edited by SadieN

Are you flying to Tahiti to start your cruise? And just breaking up your flights both ways with a stop in LA?

If you just intend to stay in your hotel and not leave for an early flight the next day is one thing. But undoubtedly if you want to leave for a decent meal, you'll need to grab a taxi each time. The area around LAX is pretty dicey (think strip malls in the literal sense). If you're staying more than just a night, why not consider staying in a nicer area such as Santa Monica or Marina Del Rey. Most likely you won't get a free shuttle (usually it's the LAX hotels that have free shuttles from the airport, but then they need to throw in something to make it seem your worthwhile).

Are you flying to Tahiti to start your cruise? And just breaking up your flights both ways with a stop in LA?

If you just intend to stay in your hotel and not leave for an early flight the next day is one thing. But undoubtedly if you want to leave for a decent meal' date=' you'll need to grab a taxi each time. The area around LAX is pretty dicey (think strip malls in the literal sense). If you're staying more than just a night, why not consider staying in a nicer area such as Santa Monica or Marina Del Rey. Most likely you won't get a free shuttle (usually it's the LAX hotels that have free shuttles from the airport, but then they need to throw in something to make it seem your worthwhile).[/quote']

Yes, we are flying to Tahiti to start the cruise. We live on the East coast- our flight to LA is 5.5 hrs and the flight to Tahiti is 8.5 hrs. I'm still thinking a hotel near the airport on our way to Tahiti- one with a decent restaurant and a pool and noon checkout for our 3:30 flight.

Our return flight from Tahiti is 10:30 am- we don't get into LA until 9:50 pm- I don't want a long ride to a hotel- we'll be exhausted. So a nice hotel that's not a long ride from the airport (LAX) with a pool (or beach), restaurants and shopping, attractions etc close by for a late check-in, a full day, then up and off to the airport early

At the airport all of the large hotels are there.

For dinner you'll be pretty much stuck at the hotel.

Afterwards Santa Monica is very close and lots nicer than the industrial area around LAX.

Edited by SadieN

On the way to I would probably do something like the Embassy Suites LAX/South in El Segundo and have dinner on Main Street in downtown El Segundo. And on the way home The Belamar in Manhattan Beach - short cab, close to lots of restaurants and shopping. My old office had a view of the southeast runway at LAX and in my opinion, those are much easier to get to than Santa Monica from the airport.

For your return, you still might want to consider grabbing a cab and staying away from the airport area. By the time you collect your luggage, etc., it'll be 10ish or so (assuming your flight is on time), but at that time of night, the traffic should be much lighter, and you should be able to get to a west side hotel within a short amount of time. Places like Manhattan Beach, Santa Monica, Marina del Rey should have some nice shopping and dining possibilities that are closer. The airport area does not.

We stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn at LAX in El Segundo. The Hotel has a small restaurant and the menu is standard. The Hotel is clean, comfortable, quiet and the Staff was accommodating to our needs; which is all we wanted post-cruise and before our flight home the next day. Although adjacent to the Blue Line, we did not hear any noise. The Hotel also has an airport shuttle. We plan on staying there again following Debarkation from our Hawaiian Cruise in December. Happy Cruising!

Gary

We stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn at LAX in El Segundo. The Hotel has a small restaurant and the menu is standard. The Hotel is clean, comfortable, quiet and the Staff was accommodating to our needs; which is all we wanted post-cruise and before our flight home the next day. Although adjacent to the Blue Line, we did not hear any noise. The Hotel also has an airport shuttle. We plan on staying there again following Debarkation from our Hawaiian Cruise in December. Happy Cruising!

Gary

LAX and El Segundo are off the Green Line.

The Blue Line is a bit to the east.

Metro.net

Crisp1

I agree with cruisebni re the Embassy Suites in El Segundo. I lived in El Segundo from 80's till 2 yrs ago. We often had dinner in the restaurant at the hotel. They have shuttle service to LAX and a breakfast that is included.

Sorry about the wrong color. I was thinking of the line to Long Beach. I really didn't think the "light rail" was a bad mode of transport to and from Long Beach particularly when used with the "Passport" bus in Long Beach. Cheap too. Works well, if you don't have too much luggage.

Gary

Sorry about the wrong color. I was thinking of the line to Long Beach. I really didn't think the "light rail" was a bad mode of transport to and from Long Beach particularly when used with the "Passport" bus in Long Beach. Cheap too. Works well, if you don't have too much luggage.

Gary

We use it the majority of the time to Long Beach. $20RT isn't too bad. We have to transfer from the MetroRail to the MetroLink trains.

Gone other places also. It's great if your going where it's going.

Our steward one cruise was assigned to the Inspiration, gets to Long Beach and finds out he's reassigned to the Imagination. He had a four day vacation on Carnival's dime. Took the bus and colored lines all over, touring LA.

Thanks for all the suggestions. We'll most likely book a better deal near the airport or in El Segundo on our way to Tahiti. I've been looking at hotels in Manhattan Beach for our return. Someone suggested the Belemar- a bit pricey. But there are a few other good hotels in the same area. On the map it's about a mile to the beach. Are there restaurants near the hotels ( near the highway) or will we have to take a cab

Thanks

There aren't any restaurants along Imperial Highway I don't think, but there is a very cute downtown area with restaurants along Main Street in El Segundo. You could walk or it would be about 5 minutes or so by cab. Manhattan Beach has tons of restaurants and shopping, so likely many options nearby.