Sommelier on Diamond?

shredie

DH was so inspired by the Bucket List promo, he booked New Zealand on the Diamond for next year. The web site claims there is a sommelier on board, but I though Princess did away with them. Anyone know?

Don't know. But it is entirely possible that PCL believes or concluded that its Asian customers demand, expect, and/or need a somm.

I thought about that. We didn't engage the sommelier often, but it was nice to have one aboard. I'm not sure why the rest of us (not Asian-based) passengers must do without.

Given the limited availability of decent wines on ships I can't imagine why anyone might think they might need to avail themselves of the services of a sommelier. Also, most of those that the cruiselines would call a sommelier are in fact far from it.

Given the limited availability of decent wines on ships I can't imagine why anyone might think they might need to avail themselves of the services of a sommelier. Also, most of those that the cruiselines would call a sommelier are in fact far from it.

Whatever. I used to like the wine tastings when they conducted them. I guess I'm not a big enough snob about wine, but I did like the education I got from the sommeliers.

Edited by shredie

Whatever. I used to like the wine tastings when they conducted them. I guess I'm not a big enough snob about wine, but I did like the education I got from the sommeliers.

I think you are both right. The people with the title "sommelier" on most ships I have been on were simply experienced waiters who knew more about wine than the rest of the servers, and more about wine than most of the passengers. That, alone, does not qualify one as a "sommelier", though many restaurants and cruise lines seem to think it does. "Wine director" would be a better title.

That said, since "whatever you want to call them" know more about wine than the rest of the servers and more about wine than most of the passengers, they do (or did) serve a purpose. One can get an education or advice from a knowledgeable person even if that person is not deserving of the title that s/he uses. Their presence is missed.

The biggest problem that I have had with the wine directors, (and granted, most of my cruises have been heavily tilted toward North American passengers), is that they were shockingly deficient in knowledge of New World wines which is what the passengers were far more interested in drinking. The wine directors were all "Old World" wine guys who know their way around Bordeaux and Barolo. But their wine lists were peppered with mass-produced New World wines and they didn't seem to have any interest in learning about small lot, artisanal producers. Not that I expect those wines to be placed on the list. But the "sommeliers" couldn't even begin to have a conversation about high quality New World wine. One would think that a student of wine would spend some time learning about California, Oregon, Washington, Chile and Argentina given that the North American passengers are likely to order those wines 10-to-1 over Old World Wines. If the name of some small producer from Sonoma whose wine was just named #3 on Wine Spectator's "Wine of the Year" list came up in conversation, you'd get a blank stare and a "never heard of it." No real sommelier would allow themselves to have that big of a gap in their wine knowledge. And this is what I think led them to be put out to pasture. They weren't connecting with their North American clientele who might be intimidated by Old World wines, but know enough that they want something better than Woodbridge or Simi. And the sommeliers were really of little use in that regard. At least, that is what I found.

We were on the Diamond in January and they did not have a sommelier. As mentioned above the line decided against a real sommelier and a wine manager. I cannot attest to the quality of the old sommeliers, but know that they had the designation as they always were present at the Chef's dinner. I particularly miss Daisy, she was adorable and knowledgeable.

The biggest problem that I have had with the wine directors, (and granted, most of my cruises have been heavily tilted toward North American passengers), is that they were shockingly deficient in knowledge of New World wines which is what the passengers were far more interested in drinking. The wine directors were all "Old World" wine guys who know their way around Bordeaux and Barolo. But their wine lists were peppered with mass-produced New World wines and they didn't seem to have any interest in learning about small lot, artisanal producers. Not that I expect those wines to be placed on the list. But the "sommeliers" couldn't even begin to have a conversation about high quality New World wine. One would think that a student of wine would spend some time learning about California, Oregon, Washington, Chile and Argentina given that the North American passengers are likely to order those wines 10-to-1 over Old World Wines. If the name of some small producer from Sonoma whose wine was just named #3 on Wine Spectator's "Wine of the Year" list came up in conversation, you'd get a blank stare and a "never heard of it." No real sommelier would allow themselves to have that big of a gap in their wine knowledge. And this is what I think led them to be put out to pasture. They weren't connecting with their North American clientele who might be intimidated by Old World wines, but know enough that they want something better than Woodbridge or Simi. And the sommeliers were really of little use in that regard. At least, that is what I found.

Agree with you 100%, they have very little knowledge of what is happening in the world of wine.