Confused: difference between UDP and new specialty dining package?

JessLCH

What exactly are the differences between the old UDP and the new Specialty Dining Package? I booked the FREE UDP promo a couple months ago for Getaway next March. At the time I THOUGHT the gratuities were included but, at this point, I am totally confused at what my free UDP package includes. Also cannot make sense of whether Illusionarium is included, discounted or neither. There have been so many tweaks and changes I cannot keep track. Also, my March cruise is a long way off. Could my terms and conditions keep changing between now and then? Thanks to anyone who can clarify.

Edited by JessLCH
typo

I also booked under the old UDP.

It seems it is for everyone in the cabin, kids and/or 3/4 passenger. No 18% gratuity as I understand it.

The new version is only for the first two passengers. + 18% gratuity I believe.

Depending if the kids eat off the main menu this would be a savings, if they eat off the free kids menu it may be a wash.

There was an in between version that only gave a $75 credit towards dining.

What exactly are the differences between the old UDP and the new Specialty Dining Package? I booked the FREE UDP promo a couple months ago for Getaway next March. At the time I THOUGHT the gratuities were included but, at this point, I am totally confused at what my free UDP package includes. Also cannot make sense of whether Illusionarium is included, discounted or neither. There have been so many tweaks and changes I cannot keep track. Also, my March cruise is a long way off. Could my terms and conditions keep changing between now and then? Thanks to anyone who can clarify.

As of right now here is what you should get. You say a few months ago you booked so I am going to guess you are in the pool that got UDP for all in the room. This is as of today, there is no telling what changes might come in the future.

- You received the UDP for all people booked in the room.

- Gratuity was included with that package so you will not have to pay any additional gratuity.

- The Illusionarium is not "included" in your package but with the recent changes can be booked with an additional fee per person (I believe $10 for basic seating and $15 for better seating)

- You can now dine at the Sushi bar for $7 per person (the assumption at this point is it is AYCE but that is not confirmed as of yet)

- You can eat at Ocean Blue for an upcharge of $15 per person.

- You can eat at all the other usual specialties all week with no cost

This should clear up your confusion.

6&8

Edited by sixesandeights

This is from the old UDP,its based on when you sail.

For sailings on or before July 2nd, 2015

The Ultimate Dining Package (UDP) is available via pre-sell or onboard purchase on days 1-2 of the voyage only. On 3-day sailings, the package is only for sale on day 1. No refunds are available if fewer restaurants are visited. The Ultimate Dining Package is non transferable. An 18% gratuity and specialty service charge will be added to the package price. A la carte priced restaurants and Ocean Blue are not included in the Ultimate Dining Package, but will be discounted 20% for those purchasing the package. Carlo’s Bake Shop items, Ice Cream Bar, Gelato, Chef’s Table is not included in the Ultimate Dining Package. The UDP does not include beverages. No Kids pricing, package available for guest 13 and older. Excludes all 1- and 2-day sailings. Includes add-ons in Le Bistro such as Fruit de Mer, Lobster and Cote De Boeuf. The package does not apply to Special Occasion/Holiday menus (New Year’s, Christmas, etc.). Latitudes Platinum Guests will receive a $20 discount on the Ultimate Dining Package (as they receive 1 complimentary dinner in Le Bistro). Additional main courses in Cagney’s and Le Bistro will be charged at $10.00.

For Sailings on or after July 3rd, 2015

The Ultimate Dining Package (UDP) is available via pre-sell or onboard purchase on days 1 and 2 of the voyage only. On 3-day sailings the package is only for sale on day 1. No refunds are available if fewer restaurants are visited. The UDP is nontransferable. Reservations are not required for UDP guests, however, tables reserved onboard will be subject to availability for reservations made 24 hours in advance. We encourage you to log in to My NCL to make dining reservations in advance for specific night(s) of your cruise. An 18% gratuity and specialty service charge will be added to the package price. A 25% discount applies to all a la carte and entertainment based dining and select Specialty Restaurants (Not included in the Ultimate Dining Package). These venues include: Sushi, Raw Bar, Food Republic, Hot Rock, Tapas Bar, Noodle Bar, Ocean Blue, Ocean Blue on The Waterfront, The Cellars, The District, Murder Mystery, Cirque Dreams & Dinner, Illusionarium, Supper Club, Wine Lovers, Pajama Jam, Bayamo and Pincho by Jose Garces. The UDP does not include beverages or corresponding gratuity. No kids pricing available for UDP. Excludes all 1 and 2 day sailings. Includes add-ons in Le Bistro such as Fruit de Mer, Lobster and Cote De Boeuf. Does not apply to special occasion/holiday menus (New Year’s, Christmas, etc.). Latitudes Platinum Guests will receive a $20 discount on the UDP (as they receive 1 complimentary dinner in Le Bistro). $10 per each additional main course will be charged in Le Bistro & Cagney’s. Chef’s Table, Jazz Brunch, Carlo’s Bake Shop items, Ice Cream Bar and Gelato are not part of the package.

This is the new plan,which is much different, when it comes to a la carte and entertainment based restaurants.

Specialty Dining Packages are available via pre-sell or onboard purchase on days 1 and 2 of the voyage only. On 3-day sailings, the package is only for sale on day 1. Specialty Dining Packages are not available on 1- and 2-day sailings. An 18% gratuity and specialty service charge will be added to the package price. No kids pricing available. Specialty Dining Packages are non transferable. No refunds are available if fewer restaurants are visited. Carlo's Bake Shop items, Ice Cream Bar, Gelato, Chef's Table, Special Occasion/Holiday menus (New Year's, Christmas, etc.), à la carte priced restaurants, entertainment based restaurants, Bayamo, Ocean Blue restaurants, and beverages are not included as part of Specialty Dining Packages. You may choose to dine in the following venues as part of your Specialty Dining Package for the corresponding upcharges: The Supper Club ($15), Ocean Blue ($15), Bayamo ($10), Cirque Dreams and Illusionarium ($10 regular seats/$15 premium seats/$35 VIP seating on Breakaway), Sushi Bar ($7), Pincho Tapas Bar ($7), and Raw Bar ($7). Specialty Dining Packages include one main course per person at Cagney's and Le Bistro restaurants. Additional main courses will be charged at $10.00.

Edited by Caribbean King1

This is from the old UDP,its based on when you sail.

For sailings on or before July 2nd, 2015

The Ultimate Dining Package (UDP) is available via pre-sell or onboard purchase on days 1-2 of the voyage only. On 3-day sailings, the package is only for sale on day 1. No refunds are available if fewer restaurants are visited. The Ultimate Dining Package is non transferable. An 18% gratuity and specialty service charge will be added to the package price. A la carte priced restaurants and Ocean Blue are not included in the Ultimate Dining Package, but will be discounted 20% for those purchasing the package. Carlo’s Bake Shop items, Ice Cream Bar, Gelato, Chef’s Table is not included in the Ultimate Dining Package. The UDP does not include beverages. No Kids pricing, package available for guest 13 and older. Excludes all 1- and 2-day sailings. Includes add-ons in Le Bistro such as Fruit de Mer, Lobster and Cote De Boeuf. The package does not apply to Special Occasion/Holiday menus (New Year’s, Christmas, etc.). Latitudes Platinum Guests will receive a $20 discount on the Ultimate Dining Package (as they receive 1 complimentary dinner in Le Bistro). Additional main courses in Cagney’s and Le Bistro will be charged at $10.00.

For Sailings on or after July 3rd, 2015

The Ultimate Dining Package (UDP) is available via pre-sell or onboard purchase on days 1 and 2 of the voyage only. On 3-day sailings the package is only for sale on day 1. No refunds are available if fewer restaurants are visited. The UDP is nontransferable. Reservations are not required for UDP guests, however, tables reserved onboard will be subject to availability for reservations made 24 hours in advance. We encourage you to log in to My NCL to make dining reservations in advance for specific night(s) of your cruise. An 18% gratuity and specialty service charge will be added to the package price. A 25% discount applies to all a la carte and entertainment based dining and select Specialty Restaurants (Not included in the Ultimate Dining Package). These venues include: Sushi, Raw Bar, Food Republic, Hot Rock, Tapas Bar, Noodle Bar, Ocean Blue, Ocean Blue on The Waterfront, The Cellars, The District, Murder Mystery, Cirque Dreams & Dinner, Illusionarium, Supper Club, Wine Lovers, Pajama Jam, Bayamo and Pincho by Jose Garces. The UDP does not include beverages or corresponding gratuity. No kids pricing available for UDP. Excludes all 1 and 2 day sailings. Includes add-ons in Le Bistro such as Fruit de Mer, Lobster and Cote De Boeuf. Does not apply to special occasion/holiday menus (New Year’s, Christmas, etc.). Latitudes Platinum Guests will receive a $20 discount on the UDP (as they receive 1 complimentary dinner in Le Bistro). $10 per each additional main course will be charged in Le Bistro & Cagney’s. Chef’s Table, Jazz Brunch, Carlo’s Bake Shop items, Ice Cream Bar and Gelato are not part of the package.

This is the new plan,which is much different, when it comes to a la carte and entertainment based restaurants.

Specialty Dining Packages are available via pre-sell or onboard purchase on days 1 and 2 of the voyage only. On 3-day sailings, the package is only for sale on day 1. Specialty Dining Packages are not available on 1- and 2-day sailings. An 18% gratuity and specialty service charge will be added to the package price. No kids pricing available. Specialty Dining Packages are non transferable. No refunds are available if fewer restaurants are visited. Carlo's Bake Shop items, Ice Cream Bar, Gelato, Chef's Table, Special Occasion/Holiday menus (New Year's, Christmas, etc.), à la carte priced restaurants, entertainment based restaurants, Bayamo, Ocean Blue restaurants, and beverages are not included as part of Specialty Dining Packages. You may choose to dine in the following venues as part of your Specialty Dining Package for the corresponding upcharges: The Supper Club ($15), Ocean Blue ($15), Bayamo ($10), Cirque Dreams and Illusionarium ($10 regular seats/$15 premium seats/$35 VIP seating on Breakaway), Sushi Bar ($7), Pincho Tapas Bar ($7), and Raw Bar ($7). Specialty Dining Packages include one main course per person at Cagney's and Le Bistro restaurants. Additional main courses will be charged at $10.00.

So which is better 25% off or $15 at say the supper club?

The UDP after July 2015 covers everyone in the cabin, including kids but the SDP does not. What a mess.

As of right now here is what you should get. You say a few months ago you booked so I am going to guess you are in the pool that got UDP for all in the room. This is as of today, there is no telling what changes might come in the future.

- You received the UDP for all people booked in the room.

- Gratuity was included with that package so you will not have to pay any additional gratuity.

- The Illusionarium is not "included" in your package but with the recent changes can be booked with an additional fee per person (I believe $10 for basic seating and $15 for better seating)

- You can now dine at the Sushi bar for $7 per person (the assumption at this point is it is AYCE but that is not confirmed as of yet)

- You can eat at Ocean Blue for an upcharge of $15 per person.

- You can eat at all the other usual specialties all week with no cost

This should clear up your confusion.

6&8

What about the upcharge add-ons in Le Bistro such as Fruit de Mer, Lobster and Cote De Boeuf anyone knows if they would be included in the new plan?

Thanks all, with so many changes it is hard to keep up. I Have no clue how many more changes I'll have to keep track of between now and March! I wonder if it will be confusing for the crew to know who has which version of the plan (gratuities included or not, all in cabin, etc)!

We have the promo that was offered in January which offered UDP for everyone in the room (2 adults and 9 yr old) or UBP for adults and soda for kids on 2 cruises - Escape and Getaway. It is not in writing but we are supposed to be able to change our choice. We have UBP now. We want the specialty dining too but the 3 or 4 day packages look good! We want to try the included choices too.

Let's say you are buying the 3 day dining package. That works out to be $23.21 pp per day including gratuities. Then if you choose the Supper Club, Cirque, or Illusionarium for one of your days, you will pay an additional $15 on top of the $23.20 you've already paid.

Let's say you are buying the 3 day dining package. That works out to be $23.21 pp per day including gratuities. Then if you choose the Supper Club, Cirque, or Illusionarium for one of your days, you will pay an additional $15 on top of the $23.20 you've already paid.

I did a similar comparison for the 4-day package. The cost per person per day is $22 pp per day including gratuities. So for NCL escape....

Bayamo = $32 vs. $47pp out of pocket (Bayamo is supposed to be $40 regular price, $10 surcharge if on DP)

Supper Club (dinner show) = $37 vs. $47 out of pocket

Cagney's = $22 vs. $35 out of pocket

Moderno = $22 vs. $24 out of pocket

Total Savings is $40 pp

Edited by SeaWatcher65

I did a similar comparison for the 4-day package. The cost per person per day is $22 pp per day including gratuities. So for NCL escape....

Bayamo = $32 vs. $47pp out of pocket (Bayamo is supposed to be $40 regular price, $10 surcharge if on DP)

Supper Club (dinner show) = $37 vs. $47 out of pocket (no savings)

Total Savings is $42 pp

Yes, we did that also, and were planning to buy this.

I hadn't previously seen an announcement of the price of Supper Club yet, so your info helps.

Supper Club (dinner show) = $37 vs. $47 out of pocket

Total Savings is $40 pp

Where did you find Escape dining pricing?

Where did you find Escape dining pricing?

The dining guide on NCL's web site shows Bayamo (Escape) and Ocean Blue (Getaway) under seafood for $39 surcharge. Of course that could change. With the UDP, It seems odd that the Bayamo surcharge (in addition to UDP) is $10 but Ocean Blue is $15. http://www.ncl.com/sites/default/files/DiningGuide_042115.pdf

Edited by SeaWatcher65

The dining guide on NCL's web site shows Bayamo (Escape) and Ocean Blue (Getaway) under seafood for $39 surcharge. Of course that could change. With the UDP, It seems odd that the Bayamo surcharge (in addition to UDP) is $10 but Ocean Blue is $15. http://www.ncl.com/sites/default/files/DiningGuide_042115.pdf

Thanks, I had that PDF saved and forgot all about it lol.