Military Discount

tncuz

My Dad is 30yrs retired Navy. I spoke with a Carnival PVP about military discounts and was told only the room my father is in is eligible. Is this true? This particuliar PVP seemed unsure about many questions and may have been new. I thought I read somewhere that he would be able to book up to three cabins.

Thanks!

Sunnye

I think that person at Carnival gave you some incorrect information. I recently booked on the Valor for March and I originally received the military discount for my wife and myself, as well as another cabin for friends. The reason I said "originally" is that I found out later that the Senior citizens discount is better than the military discount. I called my TA and they changed us to the senior discount. ;)

There was a special in July, and only in July, that you could book "up to three" additional cabins besides the cabin that the military member is in.

The military discount is only for the cabin that the active-duty member is in, I believe, with the possible addition of immediate family (like kids) for a second cabin. You can always call back and ask another PVP, but that's how I understand it.

You are going to get several different answers to this question - because to be honest it really is going to depend on who you talk to - BUT - I do know that retired and vets get one cabin only and the eligibale person (military or widow/widower if deceased) has to be traveling. The active duty changes from time to time - but as far as I know they are not offering the "friends and family" right now - that gave you up to 4 cabins - again active only. They may be having something with 2 cabins for active - but really the only way to find out is to call.

The way I look at it is if you can get one cabin at a discount that's good - if you can get more that's GREAT - but don't count it - it is hit and miss.

Just called my TA today as we are almost ready to book our July 06 cruise on the Miracle. He was unaware of Carnival's military discount!!! He said he'd call them and call me right back. They told him it depends on the ship and sail date and there is no flat amount. For an oceanview on the date we were looking at it was $250 per per military person (active/ex/retired) and everyone sharing a room with them!!! He was very surprised - another instance of the CC boards having the best info! I think all TA's should read this board. Thus maybe DH & I will splurge on a balcony. Am I right to assume that this amount will be a little higher on a balcony room and a little lower for an inner???

...........Am I right to assume that this amount will be a little higher on a balcony room and a little lower for an inner???
I think it depends on the ship, sail date, cabin, etc. I think our balcony was discounted about the same as what you mentioned on the Valor (for June 06). Our PVP at Carnival then told us we could have one the the "L" shaped rooms that have a larger balcony for the same price, so that was a bit more of a discount.

You will need to fax in a copy of a DD form 214 and a photo ID. Going through a TA you might want to check and see if they want you to fax it directly to Carnival or go through them. Your price won't show the discounted rate until Carnival has a chance to review the forms you send them.

John

Retired is the key word. Only active duty get more than one room. My husband and I are both retired military and the discount only works for the room we are in. We both have to send copies of our id cards. Since your dad should have an id card then he won't have to send in a copy of the DD-214 only of the id card.

Retired is the key word. Only active duty get more than one room. My husband and I are both retired military and the discount only works for the room we are in. We both have to send copies of our id cards. Since your dad should have an id card then he won't have to send in a copy of the DD-214 only of the id card.

Hate to say "retired" is not the word....... my husbad is retired army and we have 3 cabins booked on the Conquest next month. I believe it depends on the amount of rooms that available with the military discount when you book your cruise. Not for sure but from experience it also helps to have a pvp that is willing to go the extra mile for his/her customer.

Hate to say "retired" is not the word....... my husbad is retired army and we have 3 cabins booked on the Conquest next month. I believe it depends on the amount of rooms that available with the military discount when you book your cruise. Not for sure but from experience it also helps to have a pvp that is willing to go the extra mile for his/her customer.
I have to say the word is "lucky". I book up to 18 months in advance on the retired military discount and it has never depended on how many cabins re available - it has only been one cabin - so count yourself lucky. You PVP is doing you a BIG favor.

My Travel Agency always discounts the military discount even more. When we booked the Conquest last time Carnival was showing the military rate as about $4000 (balcony for 4) - I don't remember the regular rate. When I called my agent to get the military rate I got it for about $3800 - another $200 savings. I was told they always discount below the military. I love those agents that work for you.

Received a $400 military discount on our upcoming cruise in January. Last week we booked for April 2007 and received a $800 military discount, both of these cruises are Cat. 11 wraparound balconies. I have no idea on how they figure these discounts out, but I sure like them.:D

Mike

When the Ecstasy/Elation cancellations occurred, I couldn't get the PVP to honor the military discount rate on a new booking of the Conquest, they wanted $300 more per person. Now I see that Carnival has started accepting Military Discounts on the Conquest, with an inside cabin for $429 and outside $499, so now I can get the cruise for what I'd booked the Elation.:D

I believe Interline is where I had to fax our information - even though we booked through someone totally different.

FYI - When sending (faxing or mailing) copies of paperwork with Social Security Numbers - darken out everything but the last 4 (actually you can probably darken the entire thing - but I leave the last 4 in case they need something to check by). They do not need the entire number - if at all - and this will protect you against someone getting their hands on your information and using it for their own purposes. I'm not trying to scare anyone - just better safe than sorry.

Also when I fax a copy of the ID - I enlarge it on a copy machine because it will help make it readable at the other end.

Actually sls, you have an advantage being both retired. My wife and I are both AF retirees and were able to book 2 cabins on the Conquest using our respective ID cards. This idea wasn't ours but came from the Carnival TA.

I helped friends of mine book with the military discount. We were told only certain cruises qualify for military. There are 6 of them going total, 2 cabins. Since their military person was going with his parents, we were told to book his parents in one of the rooms and him in the other in order to discount both rooms. Hope this helps. They got a great rate on the Conquest, by the way, then Katrina moved them to Galveston and their booking fell apart but that's besides the point. Good luck.

Archived