Alcohol Related Questions

sjs1224

How would the UBP work in this instance. I was told anyone under 21 would receive the soda package. Would then just pay for beer and wine as consumed or would they get a beer and wine package?

How would the UBP work in this instance. I was told anyone under 21 would receive the soda package. Would then just pay for beer and wine as consumed or would they get a beer and wine package?

Not sure if already answered in this thread, but think it was. Under 21 cannot get the packages, they have to pay per drink, this is to deter binge drinking.

I've bought rounds of drinks many times on NCL with the UBP. I tell the bartender that I'm buying the drinks for someone else and they still throw them on the UBP. I do always tip bartenders extra with cash. I'm sure they aren't supposed to do it, but the bartenders on NCL are the friendliest I've seen, and one of the main reasons NCL is my preferred cruise line. Carnival is ultra strict with their drink package, yet they seem to have a bad reputation for drunken behavior that they can't shake.

I find that I drink more on port days when in port then on the ship. If this person is in the Caribbean they can easily hit up a Carlos and Charlies or Senor Frogs and drink all they want. Typically the drinks are cheaper in port too. If you have 3-4 drinks modday in port you will not need any at night.

International... however whatever country that ship ports out of usually handles any prosecution if charges are ever pursued.

Really? Can you cite this anywhere? This would be a vast departure from how crimes at sea are otherwise handled.

What LAW governs the drinking age at sea?
I believe that in international waters, the laws of the country of the ship's registry apply. For BA, this would be the Bahamas, and under Bahamian law, 18 is the legal drinking age for alcohol, all alcohol. The distinction beer/wine vs. liquor is an additional rule imposed by NCL, on top of existing laws, and agreed to by all embarked passengers. So if a young adult is given liquor to drink on board, there is no violation of the law, but a breach of the contract between NCL and the passenger(s) involved.

Really? Can you cite this anywhere? This would be a vast departure from how crimes at sea are otherwise handled.

Let me clarify my statement. In International waters yes you are technically under the laws of whatever country the ship is flagged under. However if a crime is committed the country of the victim or perpetrator can also press charges (which is why I indicated that usually the port country prosecutes because a large portion of cruisers are usually from the port country). On all ships porting from the US the FBI has jurisdiction of any sexual assaults that happen at sea. Not sure if there are any special rules for ships porting out of Europe, or the Asia area.

Ncl rules are if 1 in the cabin pays for a package the 2nd one has to also - not sure how that works if you're under 21.

As per NCL web site:

Beverage packages must be purchased for all guests staying within the same stateroom, additional stateroom, adjoining stateroom or travel with.

Individuals under the age of 21 will be required to purchase the Soda Program

• 3 weeks later...

interesting thread, I was looking this up because my 18 year old son might want to have one or two drinks with me, here in Alberta he is of legal age but not in the US....I find it odd that that would limit it to beer and wine? he is not a beer drinker we were just thinking maybe a "drink if the day" with dinner or after the show

I agree, I don't look at wine as a daytime drink either, funny never thought of it until reading your post. Anyway, since according to some of these posts and I believe per NCL policy, you will have to get the soda package if your fiancé is getting the UBP, I would recommend making yourself wine spritzers. Get yourself a sprite or similar with your soda plan (I think it's Pepsi products on NCL) and mix it with a white or pink wine over ice. It also makes the wine go farther as once mixed, you will get 2 drinks out of the one glass of wine you purchased! For that matter, even mix it in with any of the juices or lemonades at the self serves for a nice fruity alcoholic drink. Enjoy!

interesting thread, I was looking this up because my 18 year old son might want to have one or two drinks with me, here in Alberta he is of legal age but not in the US....I find it odd that that would limit it to beer and wine? he is not a beer drinker we were just thinking maybe a "drink if the day" with dinner or after the show

Odd or not, the cruise line says anyone under 21 is limited to wine or beer and then, only with a parent's consent. They don't care that he's of age in Canada.