Ett Hem Hotel Stockholm

pdx13

We are thinking about splurging for this Ett Hem Hotel in Stockholm, post-cruise. Looks like a nice place to help the transition back to the real world. Has anyone stayed recently? Sounds extraordinary, but very $. Is the distance from city center a disadvantage?

The subway station is only a 350m walk from the hotel and from there you can reach Old Town or the shopping district with subway red line #14 towards Fruängen.

Estimated time to Gamla Stan is 10-15 minutes.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Ett+Hem/Tekniska+H%C3%B6gskolan+T-bana,+Sverige/@59.3449275,18.0746539,17z/data=!4m14!4m13!1m5!1m1!1s0x0:0x91dd08d9d5e4e98!2m2!1d18.067703!2d59.345514!1m5!1m1!1s0x465f9d41dbc866ef:0x3141fc2243b8b232!2m2!1d18.071712!2d59.345826!3e2

The hotel you are looking at seems to be a very attractive hotel. But since I live in Stockholm I have never stayed there, I can only talk about the surrounding area. This part of Stockholm was originally designed as townhouses, no big buildings, attractive architecture. But today there are few private homes left, the buildings have been taken over by offices, and many are now foreign embassies. Since few people live in the area it is rather quiet, not much happening. However, there are two big streets with very heavy traffic close to the hotel, Valhallavägen and Odengatan.

If it is a good idea to stay there depends on what is most important to you, is it a perfect hotel or is it to be close to interesting surroundings and what you want to do and see in Stockholm. With this hotel there is little of interest nearby, you will have to travel to get to the more interesting parts of the city.

Thanks very much. That information is very helpful. I have no issue with travelling to visit the sites, I was just not certain whether we would be missing the "flavor" of the city by staying in the suburbs. I know that when we were in Barcelona we were very glad that we stayed in the heart of the city as there was always so much going on outside our hotel in the square, and it was great fun. Not sure I would expect Stockholm to be such a party city.

Of course Stockholm is not Barcelona, a city I love, but that does not mean that there is no party at all. In my mind there is much more going on in the area just south of Gamla Stan (The Old Town). It would also be much closer to the main tourist attractions in Stockholm

If you look at hotels in this area there is a Hilton at Slussen where I know many cruise passengers stay (of course I don’t know anything about staying there). There is a hotel nearby named Hotel Rival. Don’t know anything about the standard etc., but it is situated in a nice square where locals may be gathering to play boule in the evening, and it is close to restaurants and bars and a lively night life. The owner of this hotel is ABBA member Benny Andersson, if you remember ABBA.

Having said all this I have to confess that I may be partial since I happen to live in this area.

Of course Stockholm is not Barcelona, a city I love, but that does not mean that there is no party at all. In my mind there is much more going on in the area just south of Gamla Stan (The Old Town). It would also be much closer to the main tourist attractions in Stockholm

If you look at hotels in this area there is a Hilton at Slussen where I know many cruise passengers stay (of course I don’t know anything about staying there). There is a hotel nearby named Hotel Rival. Don’t know anything about the standard etc., but it is situated in a nice square where locals may be gathering to play boule in the evening, and it is close to restaurants and bars and a lively night life. The owner of this hotel is ABBA member Benny Andersson, if you remember ABBA.

Having said all this I have to confess that I may be partial since I happen to live in this area.

Well, living there gives you a whole lot more knowledge than I have! If we don't stay in that area we will definitely visit.