Tauck ?

thepoint

Is Tauck more formal than AMA or Viking? Is business casual clothing for dinner ok, or do most men wear a jacket or jacket and tie? AMA advertises - it is your vacation, dress as you like. Everyone dressed nicely for dinner, but no jacket or tie. Would like to try Tauck, but don't want to have to wear jackets and ties. Thank you for your comments.

Is Tauck more formal than AMA or Viking? Is business casual clothing for dinner ok, or do most men wear a jacket or jacket and tie? AMA advertises - it is your vacation, dress as you like. Everyone dressed nicely for dinner, but no jacket or tie. Would like to try Tauck, but don't want to have to wear jackets and ties. Thank you for your comments.

I've done two cruises with Tauck and I'm about as casual an Australian dresser as you will find anywhere and I was not out of place at dinner. I don't own a jacket and never wore one. Some men wore a coat at the Captain's welcome and farewell dinners and even a few wore a tie but they were not in the majority. You will enjoy everything that Tauck has to offer and that includes not having to wear a coat and tie. Casual dress is the norm.

Are jeans and sneakers ok?

I'm guessing this is not a serious question but I'll answer it anyway. I wore jeans and sneakers to lunch and on a couple of occasions I wore jeans, polo and shoes to dinner. On other occasions I wore shorts to lunch and slacks and a polo to dinner. There is no insistence by Tauck or Scylla staff for coats and or ties be worn at any time.

I've done two cruises with Tauck and I'm about as casual an Australian dresser as you will find anywhere and I was not out of place at dinner. I don't own a jacket and never wore one. Some men wore a coat at the Captain's welcome and farewell dinners and even a few wore a tie but they were not in the majority. You will enjoy everything that Tauck has to offer and that includes not having to wear a coat and tie. Casual dress is the norm.

Thank you. I appreciate your help.

We're booked next fall on Tauck, Amsterdam - Budapest, and there is one time when men are asked to wear jackets. That's the special "gala" evening in a Viennese palace. Fair enough I guess, although my husband is not pleased.

Just got home from the cruise with the "gala" evening in the palace. I would not worry at all about taking a jacket. I saw men wearing either and honestly, it is so crowded in the space no one will notice anyway.

We're booked next fall on Tauck, Amsterdam - Budapest, and there is one time when men are asked to wear jackets. That's the special "gala" evening in a Viennese palace. Fair enough I guess, although my husband is not pleased.

I had a long and interesting conversation with Tauck before taking that same cruise in 2011 and I and around half the men on board did not wear a coat and tie to the Palace. I have the photo's to prove it. I wore a long sleeved shirt and slacks and fitted in. If your DH does not want to wear a coat I can assure you that Tauck will not refuse him entrance to the dinner at the Palace. It's your holiday. Be comfortable about what you wear.

Louise22 - I was quite interested to read your post regarding the jacket issue at the palace event, as it has been most annoying to us to have to consider taking a blazer along for a single evening in a 3-week trip (14 days on Tauck from AMS-BUD, followed by time in Budapest and Prague after the cruise).

The notion that we must wear jackets because we are "guests" of the prince who owns the palace is entirely preposterous, as we are not his guests but rather paying customers. Further, if one checks the website for the Palais Pallavicini, one can discover that the venue is available to pretty much anyone who wants to rent it, whether that is Tauck, a plumber's convention, or a conference of Avon ladies.

On another note, however, your comment about the space being crowded was a bit concerning. We have seen a number of photos of the event on various blogs, none of which appeared to show a "crowded" situation. Could you be so kind as to amplify your comments in that regard? Please know that we very much appreciate your comments and reflections.

Cheers, Fred

Yes please Louise and John, do tell! I'm very interested to hear this. I had read somewhere that it was quite recent, like last year, that Tauck started demanding that a jacket be worn. I was a bit doubtful about this event even without the jacket, so I'd also like to hear about the crowding.

Sorry if I made it seem like the crowding was a negative. It was a very enjoyable evening with good food and wonderful entertainment. I just found the tables a bit too close together - my own opinion for sure.

We had another "gala" dinner at the Lobkowicz family palace which was in a very large elegant room with windows on 3 sides and an amazing view of the city of Prague. Not all the men wore jackets for this event either.