Lamani in mid-July

Guest Nellsmom58

Guest Nellsmom58

Has anyone done the riverboat excursion to Lamani in July? Your thoughts? Heat, intense sun? We're older and really want to do this excursion but have concerns about the intense sun and heat in July. What did you experience?

It's going to be humid and probably in the mid 80s anywhere inland in Belize in July. It's also rainy season so expect daily rain showers. If you're not used to humid weather like along the Gulf Coast of the US, you might find this taxing. If you're going part way by boat, you'll be exposed to elements but a breeze generated by the boat might assist in keeping you relatively cooler. Bring water, sunscreen, a wide brim hat, and a small packable poncho (in case you get caught in a rain shower). While it's hurricane season, most hurricanes occur in mid August to mid October. And if a storm is threatening, your ship might skip the port.

• 2 weeks later...

if you can, make sure the boat is covered. many of the tours use open boats. get a seat in the middle (front to back) and you will be shaded most of the way. the site itself is almost completely shaded by the canopy except climbing the temples which I gather won't be an option. as previously stated, it is very, very humid and somewhat hot. the pace once you are on foot is steady but not fast. it's just a walk in the jungle. the very humid jungle. I recommend a small backpack with twice as much water as you think you will need. we took mosquito spray and were so grateful when one of the folks in our group gave us some off wipes. they were amazingly easy to use and no overspray. as said previously, take a couple of throw away rain ponchos. we took sunscreen also but I now feel that an initial application would likely suffice unless you're sensitive to the sun. take some or not, whichever suits you. for us it was important that we retire early the night before. it's a long day and we wanted to enjoy the day, not be tired and looking for the end.

having said all that I will tell you that my wife is not the outdoors type at all. "camping" is a 3 star hotel. ☺. she was fine and we both enjoyed the trip as much as any excursion we've ever done. I hope you do too.

Guest Nellsmom58
if you can, make sure the boat is covered. many of the tours use open boats. get a seat in the middle (front to back) and you will be shaded most of the way. the site itself is almost completely shaded by the canopy except climbing the temples which I gather won't be an option. as previously stated, it is very, very humid and somewhat hot. the pace once you are on foot is steady but not fast. it's just a walk in the jungle. the very humid jungle. I recommend a small backpack with twice as much water as you think you will need. we took mosquito spray and were so grateful when one of the folks in our group gave us some off wipes. they were amazingly easy to use and no overspray. as said previously, take a couple of throw away rain ponchos. we took sunscreen also but I now feel that an initial application would likely suffice unless you're sensitive to the sun. take some or not, whichever suits you. for us it was important that we retire early the night before. it's a long day and we wanted to enjoy the day, not be tired and looking for the end.

having said all that I will tell you that my wife is not the outdoors type at all. "camping" is a 3 star hotel. [emoji5]. she was fine and we both enjoyed the trip as much as any excursion we've ever done. I hope you do too.

Thank you for sharing such a detailed response. Great ideas! I am concerned about the hot sun and humidity, and, like your DW, I am not keen about going to the jungle, but we'll likely not do it again, so why not? Life is getting shorter and we want to enjoy all we can [emoji4] so we'll be armed with insect wipes, lots of water, and a good hat!

just so you know, its not jungle like you think of from movies. the "trail" is a well maintained gravel path probably 10 feet wide. there's none of the pushing palm fronds or vines out of the way like some soldier of fortune. it really is designed for folks like us (and it sounds like y'all too) who have a bucket list to work on. I also wanted to mention that the guides are very knowledgeable about both the country itself and the ruins. we went on a NCL excursion off Jewel and there were two guys with us. on the bus leg the guide talked extensively about the country, industry, politics, etc. the second guy sat up by the door and just kind of looked like the door guy. when we got to lamanai we learned that the door guy was in fact a very highly educated expert on all things Mayan. he had studied and participated in the excavation of ruins all over their existence. these guys were exceedingly good at their presentations and obviously proud of their heritage. it was a great day and worth the cost and effort. we returned to Belize a few months later again on Jewel with our just-graduated-college kids and sent them. same result. they came back raving just as we had.

Guest Nellsmom58
just so you know, its not jungle like you think of from movies. the "trail" is a well maintained gravel path probably 10 feet wide. there's none of the pushing palm fronds or vines out of the way like some soldier of fortune. it really is designed for folks like us (and it sounds like y'all too) who have a bucket list to work on. I also wanted to mention that the guides are very knowledgeable about both the country itself and the ruins. we went on a NCL excursion off Jewel and there were two guys with us. on the bus leg the guide talked extensively about the country, industry, politics, etc. the second guy sat up by the door and just kind of looked like the door guy. when we got to lamanai we learned that the door guy was in fact a very highly educated expert on all things Mayan. he had studied and participated in the excavation of ruins all over their existence. these guys were exceedingly good at their presentations and obviously proud of their heritage. it was a great day and worth the cost and effort. we returned to Belize a few months later again on Jewel with our just-graduated-college kids and sent them. same result. they came back raving just as we had.

Sounds well worth it! Thanks so much for the input! We are definitely going now [emoji4]