Civitavecchia to Rome

Snooks05

Hi everyone. Myself and my girlfriend will be taking our first cruise this year and one of the ports we stop at is Civitavecchia.

Our ship is due to arrive at 7am and we have found a perfect tour which incorporates everything we want to see in Rome which starts at 9am prompt from across the street from the Colosseum at the Metro Stop.

How likely is it that we can get to Rome in time for the start of the tour. We are happy to take trains as long as we can pre book them and know where were going.

If it makes any difference we will be on the p&o Oceana and arrive at Civitavecchia on 6th July.

Thanks in advance

You can't pre-book the train and there are no bus options that will get you there in time, so it's either an expensive private transfer or the unbooked regional train.

One small point - you actually can purchase a train ticket in advance up to seven days prior but it's hardly worth it. The best value is the BIRG, a regional ticket that can only be purchased in Lazio (the region Rome is located in). It costs 12 Euro and covers your round trip train fare between Civitavecchia and Rome as well as all buses, metro, and trams in Rome for the entire day.

There's a somewhat reasonable chance you could make this using public transit.

If you are among the first off your ship and you race as fast as you can to the train station, in time to catch the 7:44 train to Rome and get off at Roma Ostiense at 8:36, then change to the metro to the Colosseo stop, and if everything is running more or less on time, you'll make it.

Even better would be if you could make the 7:19 train, but that would mean the ship letting you off on the dot of 7 and you racing the entire mile to the station.

Just to add some more thoughts, assuming your ship does dock around 7 it usually takes about 20 minutes until the ship is actually cleared and passengers can begin to disembark. You then will have to wait for a shuttle bus to get you out of the port (the current construction project has effectively stopped walking out of the port). And with the main port entrance now closed it means you need even more time to get to the train station. We sure would not want to bet money on your ability to make the 7:44. Your only real hope would be if your ship docked early, started embarkation early, you could be among the first off the ship, and there would be a shuttle bus ready to go without much delay. Could all this fall into place and happen? Yes. Is it likely? No.

Hank

I would walk to the terminal (or jog) and get on the earliest train available. There are some express trains, so check those times. I think you can make it. Navigating the trains is easy - just remember to validate your ticket

Thanks for all the replies, especially the train directions from Euro cruiser and the travel card info.

We're still undecided and time is ticking. I'm tempted just to book the tour and take the risk. If you see a couple running of the ship towards the train station that will be us, give us a wave lol

Okay, in case you do go for it let me give you some slightly more specific directions.

When you get off the train at Roma Ostiense go down one fight and walk through the passage under the tracks toward the station. Look for signs for the Pyramid metro station and follow them. When you get to the metro station you want the train in the direction of of either Rebbibia or Jonio. Stay on for only two stops (pass Circo Massimo) to Colosseo. When you exit the station you'll be facing the Colosseum.

Of course you can book a train....and will have reserved seats! You really should do it as it will otherwise be a hazzle. Just imagine hundreds/if not thousands of passengers storming the 2 counters to buy the tickets!

And just imagine the train is full and you have to stand all the time or wait for the next one...

http://www.trenitalia.com/

it s also in English!

Of course you can book a train....and will have reserved seats! You really should do it as it will otherwise be a hazzle.

There are no trains with reserveable seats in the morning (see above post, first one is after 11 AM).

There are only two trains for the afternoon return for which you can reserve seats, at 3:57 PM (arrives Civitavecchia at 4:45 PM) or 4:57 PM (arrives 5:39 PM). Note that if you use these trains you must get on at Termini (or Ostiense for the first one) and that the BIRG ticket does not apply, you must purchase a specific ticket for these trains.

Just go straight to the newsstand inside the station and hand over your €12, they will hand you a BIRG ticket. No need to 'storm the two counters'. This ticket will also be good for your metro ride (buses too). Just be sure to validate your ticket in the box on the platform.

Snooks, I want to wish you good luck! We caught the 7:44 train last fall but it was a challenge. We were among the first off of our ship but were forced to rely on the shuttle bus to exit the port. Then we walked VERY fast to the train station and purchased the BIRG tickets. We made the train with about 2 minutes to spare. I'm sure that the tour you have planned is great but I hope you have a back up plan.

Thanks guys. We've booked the tour today with walks of Italy. They offer a transfer from the port to the start point of the tour so if they can garuntee we get there before the start time I think we're going to pay the extra money and do it that way.

Failing that were gonna run for the 7.44 train and cross everything that we get there in time!