Hurricanes Jova and Kenneth

blyle

Aloha,

Just got thru watching the five o'clock news....they say it should not affect us and we'll see over the next few days.....but as you know, it's all up to mother nature. Right now it's our usual windy/rainy/sunny/humid weather when storm systems are nearby. I guess your best bet is checking weather websites.

Enjoy your stay in the Islands. :)

Noreen.

I just watched the local 5pm news...and the storms are being tracked very closely and were the lead story. They expect them to weaken and maybe even fall apart, but it is really too early to tell. Right now they are saying the effects could be anything from a tropical storm, to just some wet weather, especially here on the Big Island. They are still very far away, and will not be felt here until next Thursday at the earliest. I will try to post updates as they become available. Think positve!!!

The sea water temperatures are not high enough to sustain the hurricanes so as the others have mentioned above, they're expected to devolve into tropical storms and may miss us entirely. As of now, they're way too far away for me to worry about. :)

Spleen

I am also curious because we are to board the Radiance, which will be coming down from Vancouver.... So if they all blow east of the islands and head north, what would that do to the ship? I think it leaves Vancouver on the 24th and then heads to Hilo, arriving on the 30th.... Here's hoping it misses all of the islands and all of the ships!

Given your time frame, I would definitely have some concerns, considering the line of storms that we have coming across the central Pacific at this time. At best, the crossing will be a lot bumpier than normal. At worst, RCCL may decide to divert the ship to another location. I would keep in close contact with your TA and check with RCCL to make sure that there have been no changes on the ship's itinerary.

Spleen

well we are supposed to leave here ( houston) on Sat the same day the hurricane is to hit so I think we will not be going to Hawaii.

I think Byle means that hurricane Rita is to hit the Texas coast this weekend and making the flight out might not be possible.

And the weatherman said the same thing..it (jova) is expected to turn north and weaken...and not come within 300 miles of the big island. Even if it doesnt turn as dramatically as they think, it shouldnt come within 180 miles. They are not even forcasting rain at this point.

As for the other two, they are expected to weaken and not come close right now.

I think we are all a little worried - we are sailing from Vancouver late Saturday - and not sure what route they use to get to Hilo - our first port, but it looks like it might be a little rough :eek:

Well....you know what they say - even a bad day crusing is better than a good day at work! LOL

Wishing everyone smooth sailing (and praying for people in Rita's path)

Jayne & family

UPdate. After asking for info on the Pacific Hurricanes RITA made us cancel our trip. Continental cancelled all flights out of Houston and I could not get another one. SO>>>> our wonderful 11 night trip that wont be offered next year will just not happen. On another note. we are extremely lucky not to have suffered like those of Katrina. Actually Rita is not too bad right now. She was nice enough to spare Houston. I believe things happen for a reason so maybe there is another vacation in store for us.

One think I want to mention is that I paid $140 for cruise insurance with Travelguard and I will be receiving thousands in refunds. IT was really worth it because cancellation due to inclement weather was covered. So all in all it was a good ending. At least we received our money back. Insurance works.

Blyle I kind of know how you feel I live on the coast of Ms and Katrina has left me with a hugh decision about final payment on 9/30/05. But it is good to see how you brought out the good side of your trip by having travel insurance. I wish I could say my homeowners insurance was as good. LOL

Paul

My personal preference is to always cruise with travel insurance ... cause you never know what'll happen. Glad to hear that it worked out for you and I'm sorry about the loss of your trip. Hope you get a chance to come visit the islands at some point! Glad also that you're safe and sound!

Spleen

I don't think the info on the WIND cruises not being offered next year is correct. While we were on the WIND a few weeks ago, the staff and the Capt. mentioned that these cruises will continue. I then went online when I got home and can find the 11-night WIND cruises for 2006 after a summer in Alaska. SO, glad you are safe and that Rita spared Houston (lived there for 2 glorious years back int he 80's...and survived Hurricane Alicia!!) but, you should be able to rebook the WIND once she is refurbished!!

Stay safe.

Thanks for all the help! We have survived Rita ! A slight move 100 miles to the east and we were spared! I have deep sympathy for those in Beaumont and Louisiana.

As for our trip to Hawaii , we will be living each day wondering about each port but hopefully things happen for a reason. Maybe a future cruise will be something even more spectacular. One thing for sure cruise insurance works for me!

This experience has reminded me again of the importance of family, good health and great friends.

Here's hoping for a future Hawaii cruise!!! By the way NCL is even offering some sort of future voucher for others without insurance! How nice!

Archived