Anybody have tips about Gozo?

jaceyar

Hello everyone. We are on Oriana in August and one of our ports is Gozo. I can't find anything in the Ports section and Tripadvisor is not that helpful.

Does anyone know if there are local companies at the keyside offering trips? I'm afraid ship's excursions are against my religion!

There is an hop on hop off tour bus that picks up from the Harbour at Mgarr and goes to all of the key sites. Must sees include the Capital Victoria including the Citadel, Dwerja Bay for the Azure Window and the Inland Sea and maybe a visit to pretty Xlendi Bay which is a perfect plaice for lunch. It is a circular tour and so you can easily get back to the Harbour. I think it costs about €15 pp.

There is also the local bus that meets each ferry and goes to Victoria, the capital. There are taxi drivers who meet the ferry and offer tours, but when we were staying on Malta and went across to Gozo, we warned off them by other locals who said they can be unreliable in terms of the fare agreed, i.e. at the end of the tour they ask for more than you think you agreed, or they take you halfway round the island and demand more money.

This really surprised me, because we found everyone else on Malta and Gozo to be lovely and friendly. We had a couple of super holidays there. The hoho bus sounds perfect though.

I've never had a problem with taxis on Malta or Gozo although I have read the horror stories too. The bus to Victoria is also a good suggestion because there is plenty there to fill a couple of hours. Hiring a car is another suggestion because then you can see the whole island without having to wait for buses. You could also get a ferry over to nearby Comino and take a look at the Blue Lagoon, boats leave from Mgarr regularly.