Booking Question

urkidn

Hi there,

I'm new to the board and have a question regarding booking directly with the cruiseline. I read in a thread that when you book on the ship, you can transfer your booking to a TA after the fact. Can you do this if you're not on a ship? I would like to book directly with X now to guarantee the rate and then transfer to a TA at a later time when I find one that suits my needs. Is this possible?

Thanks!

Hi there,

I'm new to the board and have a question regarding booking directly with the cruiseline. I read in a thread that when you book on the ship, you can transfer your booking to a TA after the fact. Can you do this if you're not on a ship? I would like to book directly with X now to guarantee the rate and then transfer to a TA at a later time when I find one that suits my needs. Is this possible?

Thanks!

Yes.

Yes

In fact I recommend that you have a good TA involved. The cruise lines will notify all TA's about changes such as missing a port of call but does not notify individuals. A good TA will let you know of these changes. A good TA will also monitor any price cahnges taht may affect your booking and can get you back the difference. Cruise lines do not do this.

The key is to get a good TA not just anyone

Thanks so much for the info. I have never really had any luck finding a "good" TA. The last time I used one we had to file a claim with Visa to get reimbursed for airline tickets that she overcharged us for. I want to book now for 2007 just in case prices get out of wack (I need 4 cabins). If I book direct with X, I can keep checking prices myself and phone them for adjustments. I would consider switching the reservation to a TA when the time draws closer and if there are any decent perks involved. I don't want to deal with anyone who charges a cancellation fee as my dates are a long way off and if I see something I like better, I want to have the flexibility to switch with as little hassle as possible.

Yes

In fact I recommend that you have a good TA involved. The cruise lines will notify all TA's about changes such as missing a port of call but does not notify individuals. A good TA will let you know of these changes. A good TA will also monitor any price cahnges taht may affect your booking and can get you back the difference. Cruise lines do not do this.

The key is to get a good TA not just anyone

How does one seek out a RELIABLE & PROFICIENT TA?? I had one who was incompetent. One doesn't know until it's too late. If you have a some ideas, please inform me!! Thx....................Rudy

Rud3685mar-

I've heard many very saavy people say that "I know more than my TA," or "I did all the leg work, and they get the comission!" True, there are some people who know how to make their own travel plans so effectively, that a TA isn't necessary, or an on-line agency is just as good. And I'm hearing more and more of on-line agencies who are giving great service, so that wasn't meant to be a slam. For the rest of us, we're either new to cruising, don't have the time, or want to rely on someone else's expertise to enhance our vacation.

If you use a TA, you should interview TA's just as you would any other service provider, like realtors, doctors, etc. If they provide a service, you want to know that they know what they're doing, what their experience is, and that their other clients or patients are happy with them, so 1.) ask about basic memberships in travel industry groups. It's harder for an accredited agency to get away with scams. 2.) Also ask what cruise lines they've sailed, and how many clients they send to a particular line. You want someone who knows CRUISING. TA's DO build relationships with Cruise line staff, and, while they may not get you extra perks every time, or even ever, these 'relationships' certainly help if a problem arises. And don't you want the TA who truly understands why 6143 is a great CC cabin, or why you might prefer late or early seating? 3.) Ask for recommendations from people you trust, as though you're checking references.

One of these things individually doesn't gurantee a good TA, but TA's are professionals, or should be, so a good one will have the right answers AND have many people recommending them. Good luck.

(No, I'm not a TA, but I do use one for some of my travel- the rest I can handle myself)

Archived