GAPearl's "MAGIC"al Birthday Cruise! Complete Magic picture review-6/14/15 sailing.

gapearl

Welcome back! Where did you go for your trip? I'm starting to love land trips as much as cruises so that I can really immerse myself in the culture of a new place. My next vacation gets to be a combination of the two! :)

I used an underwater camera for my pictures with the stingrays. I used the selfie stick only with my cell phone. I'm not sure that they have selfie sticks for cameras except the Go Pro. I have an Olympus Tough camera. I bought it on my Splendor cruise when my good Canon died on day 2 after getting some water damage.

I'll have to check out the Olympus. We didn't go anywhere exciting, just Gatlinburg. Land vacations with your Mother-In-Law and two more teens (that made 7 teens and 1 toddler) is not necessarily relaxing for yours truly. A cruise where everyone can do their own thing in a controlled environment is a much better option.

If I have a vote on where you should go next, I vote Bermuda. For purely selfish reasons of course. I would love to hear your thoughts on docking for 3 days at one port. One of the reasons I love cruising is sailing from port to port. We have a credit on NCL and I think one of their superships goes to Bermuda so I need to check.

Another great review and you don't look 35!! 35 didn't hurt me but 40 sure did!!

Kim,

Thanks for posting your review, as well as links to previous reviews in your signature. They all make for awesome reading!

You may be ready to step up to a theme cruise. My first one was for a "Geek cruise", a computer conference at sea. The owner of geekcruises Neil Bauman has been doing 5-10 cruises a year for 15 years now, and now uses the name InsightCruises dot com. The cruises have morphed from computer conferences to all sorts of various scientific seminars. For instance, a Med cruise includes seminars by expert archaeologists. He's done several cruises that track solar eclipses.

My review of that Geek cruise can be found by searching for "dr. dobbs geeks ahoy". As Dr. Dobbs has ceased publication, I assume the web site will eventually go down and my article could only be found on the WayBack site.

Neil got his idea from Charles Datin, who runs cruisetrek dot com. The Cruise Treks are held annually, for Star Trek fans, and include cast members from the various series and movies.

There are literally hundreds of theme cruises available, and thanks to the internet, you can actually find them! There are a lot of different music cruises, and cruises for just about every hobby or sport you could think of.

I'm not sure a theme cruise would be up my alley, although I did look at the Zumba cruise and The Walking Dead cruise, both in January. Those would both be a lot of fun! I've looked a couple of singles cruises too this fall, but I'm not sure I'd want to do one of those either.

One drink :eek: They are strong though. They told us on the bus for the Bar Hop that one drink at these bars was equivalent 2-3 back home because of the Mexican Tequila.

HAHA....and ya know what is so funny. After the Bar Hop we literally had to run back to the ship which isn't fun when you have been drinking. We went straight to dinner and in the dining room I kept it going with Rumchata and Fireball shots :eek:

That fireball is no joke! I definitely want to do the bar hop next time.

Edited by gapearl

I'm not sure a theme cruise would be up my alley, although I did look at the Zumba cruise and The Walking Dead cruise, both in January. Those would both be a lot of fun! I've looked a couple of singles cruises too this fall, but I'm not sure I'd want to do one of those either.

That fireball is no joke! I definitely want to do the bar hop next time.

Now it is not. And generally I'm not a fan of whiskey but I had no trouble drinking it [emoji6][emoji2] you would love the Bar Hop

Sorry! I always have signatures off when I read a review.... saves TONNES of pages... Have now turned them on, got your link, and turned them back off! Thank you for the Blog too! It's great.

GT

I'm glad you've enjoyed it so far. It's not quite as comical as what I post here, but there are still good stories and lots of pictures. I hope to have my Guatemala trip finished sometime next week to post.

yeah I had to find out the hard way.. I don't think there is any other cruise line that does this. I think $500 is a lot of money for a deposit on a cruise. I have been on cruises twice as expensive as this particular cruise and had initial deposits of half the amount while cruising solo. But I guess that is all water under the bridge now as I have officially booked my first Carnival Cruise for April 2017!!!

Yeah Carnival can be crazy with their deposits. An 8 day cruise for a solo would be a $600 deposit. The good thing is that they do run half price deposit and $50 deposit sales pretty frequently so that's a good time to book. Congrats on finally pulling the trigger on your first Carnival cruise! :D

All I can say is awesome review!!! Happy very late birthday!!!!!

Magic is my only but favorite ship so far.. Can't wait to take more, but with twin boys on the way, it will be a few years before the wife and I cruise again. Also love the pics of Space Center Houston, I haven't been there since middle school and I live down the road form there... :)

Wow, twin boys, double the blessing! Congrats! :) If you loved the Magic, you'll definitely love he Breeze. Hopefully you'll be able to sail her while she's in Galveston. It's funny how you never go to the tourist attractions and landmarks in your own city that tourists love. I grew up not too far from Graceland and have never been. As a matter of fact NONE of my friends back home in Memphis have been! The next time I go home for a visit, I should plan a Memphis locals trip there for my friends. lol

Thanks for the great review. Hope to sail with you one day. Its not bad being 50. Im enjoying.....

Thanks Sexy! If you do ever run into me on a ship, say hi! 50 is still a ways away, but I see myself hopefully rocking it like Tina Turner or Tina Knowles. :)

Welcome back! Where did you go for your trip? I'm starting to love land trips as much as cruises so that I can really immerse myself in the culture of a new place. My next vacation gets to be a combination of the two! :)

I used an underwater camera for my pictures with the stingrays. I used the selfie stick only with my cell phone. I'm not sure that they have selfie sticks for cameras except the Go Pro. I have an Olympus Tough camera. I bought it on my Splendor cruise when my good Canon died on day 2 after getting some water damage.

I'll have to check out the Olympus. We didn't go anywhere exciting, just Gatlinburg. Land vacations with your Mother-In-Law and two more teens (that made 7 teens and 1 toddler) is not necessarily relaxing for yours truly. A cruise where everyone can do their own thing in a controlled environment is a much better option.

If I have a vote on where you should go next, I vote Bermuda. For purely selfish reasons of course. I would love to hear your thoughts on docking for 3 days at one port. One of the reasons I love cruising is sailing from port to port. We have a credit on NCL and I think one of their superships goes to Bermuda so I need to check.

Another great review and you don't look 35!! 35 didn't hurt me but 40 sure did!!

I would love to do the Bermuda cruise. I think it would be fun to be there overnight. It would also be cool for my mom to see NYC as she's never been. I think the Breakaway goes to Bermuda, but it's a bit too expensive last time I looked. The Anthem of the Seas would be the same price as the Sunshine, but it's 5 days and Sunshine is 7 days. But that ship looks amazing! I'm going to read Mitsugirly's Bermuda report and do some Bermuda research to see what all there is there that my mom might enjoy.

The Gatlinburg trip sounds like it could have been a headache. lol I agree that on cruises, there's so much to do and so many different directions to go and there's something for everyone. Cruises are much better for my mom. I don't think I'd take her on a land trip. She probably would get bored and wouldn't enjoy it as much.

Kim really looking forward to your Asia report!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you! I've dived right in researching this trip. Google Marina Bay Sands infinity pool. Ummm, yes please! :D

Ha ha small world Kim, I worked at Graceland for several yrs. it is an amazing place to see once in your life. Growing up in 901 was fun and still is. Love Beale st.

Wow, it is a small world! Not only have I not been to Graceland, but I've never eaten at The Rendevous either. Shameful, I know. :o

You inspired me! I was the first int the Red Frog Pub today on the Breeze!! [ATTACH]355810[/ATTACH]

YAASSSSSSSSSS!!!!!! Love this!!! :D :D :D Congratulations!!! I'm going to be looking for you when JH posts them tomorrow. Did you have any competition getting there?

Wow, it is a small world! Not only have I not been to Graceland, but I've never eaten at The Rendevous either. Shameful, I know. :o

YAASSSSSSSSSS!!!!!! Love this!!! :D :D :D Congratulations!!! I'm going to be looking for you when JH posts them tomorrow. Did you have any competition getting there?

Yes, a couple that was doing a B2B. Fortunately for us they didn't qualify! Yeah for me!! Thanks for telling me how to run up the stairs and thru the ship to be the first one there!

Yes, a couple that was doing a B2B. Fortunately for us they didn't qualify! Yeah for me!! Thanks for telling me how to run up the stairs and thru the ship to be the first one there!

That's awesome! Yes, skip the elevators. They're too slow. I didn't know the back to back people don't qualify. That's so cool! You guys have a FANTASTIC cruise! :D

Yeah Carnival can be crazy with their deposits. An 8 day cruise for a solo would be a $600 deposit. The good thing is that they do run half price deposit and $50 deposit sales pretty frequently so that's a good time to book. Congrats on finally pulling the trigger on your first Carnival cruise! :D

Now the hard part is just waiting. fortunately I have a couple of cruises planned in between now and the Vista trip in 2017.

Thanks Yael! Have fun reading this one!

Thanks for reading! Hope you enjoyed the review.

Kim, great review as always! Now I'm reading your blog because I'll be visiting Cartagena on a cruise next year. I'm glad to have some info from someone I

"know". ;) Thanks again.

Adding to what everyone else already said, AWESOME REVIEW!!!

I am already planning my next cruise and you've inspired me to step up my dress game! Found some cute dresses last week at Ross and I thought would GA Pearl approve:confused: LOL! I also checked out your blog too!;)

Kim, great review as always! Now I'm reading your blog because I'll be visiting Cartagena on a cruise next year. I'm glad to have some info from someone I

"know". ;) Thanks again.

I hope the Cartagena blog helped you out a little. It quickly became one of my favorite cities. Go with an open mind to experience a totally different culture. Parts of Cartagena reminded me a lot of Old San Juan. Have fun!

Adding to what everyone else already said, AWESOME REVIEW!!!

I am already planning my next cruise and you've inspired me to step up my dress game! Found some cute dresses last week at Ross and I thought would GA Pearl approve:confused: LOL! I also checked out your blog too!;)

Thank you! You can find some great dresses at Ross. I found a $350 Vera Wang dress at Ross for $29.99. :D Bring back a review so I can see pics of all your new dresses!

Kim, Great start on your blog. Very, very nicely done.

I'm a fan!

Thanks Chelly! I'm working on my Guatemala posts and hopefully will have them done this week. Thanks for following! :)

Another great review! I especially love the video at the beginning. Now I'm off to read Jamman's review!:D

Thank you! I've been off CC the last week or so. I'm iff for the next few days so I can catch up on my review reading as well.

Finally got a chance to read all of your review. It was awesome. Loved the chocolate store you went to. I am seriously looking into doing this with Johnnie when we go to Cozumel.

Girl you should! It only will take about an hour and it's just $15. You'll still have your whole day free to hit up the beach and get some Mexican food. Have fun on the Magic! I wish I could cruise with y'all again. :)

Kim, LOVED the review, as usual! You keep us entertained and give wonderful information. Can't wait until the next one.

Thank you so much! I'm glad you enjoyed the review. The next one will be a big one for sure! :D

Hi Kim!!! Great review! Having seen your appearance on JH's FB page for "First In The Frog" I have patiently been waiting to read your review. I have been fairly busy lately travelling and just got around to your review this weekend. It's been good reading as I have been here at the fire station for the past three days and didn't have a lot of responses!

I'm happy to see that you had a great birthday! As always reading your reviews and admiring your pictures is so enjoyable. You still know how to rock a dress or just about any outfit that you have Kim!

I'll be flying through the ATL on one of those airlines you mentioned in November heading to Florida. I'll keep an eye out for you so maybe you can sling that bag of peanuts at me! :D

Take care, safe travels, and happy cruising to you!

Harold :)

Hi Kim!!! Great review! Having seen your appearance on JH's FB page for "First In The Frog" I have patiently been waiting to read your review. I have been fairly busy lately travelling and just got around to your review this weekend. It's been good reading as I have been here at the fire station for the past three days and didn't have a lot of responses!

I'm happy to see that you had a great birthday! As always reading your reviews and admiring your pictures is so enjoyable. You still know how to rock a dress or just about any outfit that you have Kim!

I'll be flying through the ATL on one of those airlines you mentioned in November heading to Florida. I'll keep an eye out for you so maybe you can sling that bag of peanuts at me! :D

Take care, safe travels, and happy cruising to you!

Harold :)

Hi Harold! Welcome back! Where have you been traveling to lately? My birthday was awesome! I couldn't ask for it to have been any better. Everyone recognized me in the RFP. I bet JH was like who the hell is this chick cause everyone knows her! Haha :p Maybe one day you'll run into me in the air or on a cruise, you never know. Have fun on your upcoming Splendor trip!