Thomson Spirit - Ancient Wonders review..

Not a full review, just a quick shakedown following a list of questions I posted beforehand.

First off the Foreign Offices heightened security alert for Istanbul didn't prevent us from jumping ship for a look round but having such thoughts in one's mind combined with the exhuberant nature of the taxi drivers, street sellers and retailers in the grand bazaar made for a rather tense and less enjoyable experience in the main port of call.

Loved the Spirit! Although somewhat smaller than Destiny, Majesty etc., we never felt the difference, loved the layout and would have no hesitation in recommending. One specific comparison- the main entertainments lounge was far preferable to Majesties where restricted viewing was the norm if seated at the back.

Entertainment: Thought the trio were great (forgotten their name already:(:o) Maxwell Plumm went down well but some dated jokes took the edge off somewhat for me. Braxi Music - superb. The show team as good as ever but I still can't work out whether the shows were the same as Majesty's last year (same cruise director) or that 4 musical/film/dance shows was a little much?

Formal night: Far fewer people wearing Dinner Jackets than before. Probably 50%, 25% in suits and the rest smart - smart casual.

Food: Difficult not to make comparisons with a P&O cruise we went on earlier this year where the food was probably the best we've had anywhere but lets have a go. Thomsons buffet, the availability and selection, is superior to P&O's but way behind when it comes to the waiter served MDR. When served Lasagne on it's own in a bowl with no garnish, no chips you have to wonder why you are not feasting in the buffet. Don't get me wrong the food wasn't bad it just wasn't great and I don't recall anybody we dined with saying 'that was fantastic'.

Staff, good as gold in every department with one very minor exception and I doubt of their own making. If I have a near full drink in my hand and my beloved has declined we don't need to be asked again if she wants a tipple 5 minutes later. If we have a cup of coffee each I don't need to be asked if I want an alcoholic drink. The service is such that a slight gesture is enough to bring one of the many bar waiters/waitresses running so why the incessant question?

I've not posted this as a negative although it may look a little that way but rather in the hope that someone from Thomsons can take on board as useful feedback?

Best to close on some positives.:D We'll cruise again and will probably stick with the devil we know. It's clear that seasoned cruisers return to Thomsons as they have the mix right. Many of our dining companions shared this view.

We had a good time and that's what counts...:cool:

Edited by Tarquin

many thanks for this review

we are sailing on spirit in 2 weeks (after many years of sticking with dream)

v pleased to hear you had a good time (food seems to have gone downhill a bit tho?... shame)

groan... maxwell plumm... sorry guys but just not my cup of tea either, nice to hear brandi & max are on spirit:cool:

v pleased to hear that the bar waiters are incessant.... its virtually impossible to attract their attention at all on the dream :(

v pleased to hear you had a good time (food seems to have gone downhill a bit tho?... shame)

groan... maxwell plumm... sorry guys but just not my cup of tea either, nice to hear brandi & max are on spirit:cool:

v pleased to hear that the bar waiters are incessant.... its virtually impossible to attract their attention at all on the dream :(

We looked at the menu most nights before deciding to use the MDR and only stuck with it as it was the first time we'd sat with other people which was a nice change and took us out of our anti social shell:) The missus was saved by a pasta dish several times and it was only on the last night I relented and we ate from the buffet.

• 2 weeks later...

I think you'll find Max & Brandi are only appearing as Guest Act now on a Thomson ships, Geo - not permanently on any specific ships - they have signed up for a 5 year contract with Peel.

I think you'll find Max & Brandi are only appearing as Guest Act now on a Thomson ships, Geo - not permanently on any specific ships - they have signed up for a 5 year contract with Peel.

You are correct, Julie. They are appearing in Amsterdam at the moment.