Barracudas while snorkeling - Eeeek!

This might be a silly question, but what should one do if snorkeling and a Barracuda emerges? We are planning on snorkeling in St. Thomas with the sea turtles, but I have read many reviews where people note that there is a big barracuda that can be seen there frequently. That freaks me out. Not gonna lie.

How do you get away from the Barracuda safely? Should we get back into the boat? Swim away quickly?

I'm a diver. Barracudas are ferocious looking...but will generally leave you alone. Don't wear shiny jewelry because the bling might attract curious attention. If one does get too close...make sure to pull your hands into your chest. They might confuse the white flash of your hand for a fish. I've never seen one nip anybody.

What Rico's Mom said. Also make sure there is nothing shiny on your bathing suit like the shiny metallic buttons on my one suit. Saving that one for the pool deck. They are nearsighted & quick, so pay attention to the group leader & your surroundings. I'm also betting that the 'cuda hanging around the turtle area is there because he is getting fed.;)

I lived on St Thomas for years & can tell you sea urchins cause many more problems than barracudas. watch where you step!