help me Hondorner!

auntiemjo

Forgive me for duplicating but I'm covering all the bases. This is posted on another thread but I'm starting a new one in hopes of doubling my chances of catching the attention of the wise one!

Chiming in as another who has appreciated your insight on so many topics discussed on this board from dining to defibrillators! (I formerly posted as Mrs. Jones) Could I tap your wealth of knowledge on yet another topic?

My husband and I are taking my sister, her twin boys (20), another son, 18 and the caboose, a daughter age 11 on NCL Dawn Boston to Bermuda. Although we are delighted to be sharing this experience together (their first cruise, our 31st) I'm a bit apprehensive. We started out cruising mass market to the Caribbean but have almost exclusively sailed with Azamara and Oceania for the past 10 years. After experiencing the small ship, fine dining (I'm a food freak) and the style of cruising on those lines I'm afraid I've become spoiled.

I saw in another thread about the merging of Oceania and NCL that you are Platinum with NCL. Please help talk me off the ledge and have an open mind about this adventure! It is all about attitude and I'm going into training but my research and reading about this one has got me a tad apprehensive.

We live in Boston. It's crazy convenient. The price is right. Timing is perfect too. Now if I can just go with it we'll be all set. Help!!

Edited by auntiemjo
adding info

Thanks so much for the nudge. Just made it official with my TA. The kids have already instagramed the itinerary and have declared the trip "swag".

I think that's good!

Any dining suggestions? Although it seems the buffet is often crowded and noisy, I think I might have a better chance of finding something I might enjoy. Don't think we'll invest in the pay per plate venues. I love breakfast and desserts and was happy to read that it's only 5 laps around the track to make a mile as opposed to what, 13 on A and O?

How fortunate for your grandchildren to have these times with you. Sadly this bunch of kiddos lost theirs during their baby years, a massive void. I hope they feel they know them from the stories and memories we share with them.

I would love to hear from more who have been there, done that. every bit of knowledge will help.

I traveled in March on NCL Spirit.

While we really like Oceania, the price point for my older family traveling with me was attractive. My take - it was fine. Very friendly staff. Food more than adequate. Choose dishes that have budget ingredients but take long cooking and "chefy" skills. We ate in the main dining rooms except for once when we ate in the French specialty dining room. Extra fees for specialty restaurants are moderate, compared to some others.

One good thing - on our ship we could book tables in the free dining room. That worked for us since we were eight people. We had no waits.

Lots to do on the ships. We enjoyed the singalong in the pub, the shows, etc. Lots to do for younger people.

If you focus on family and on the ports of call, you will have a wonderful time. Just don't compare and go with the flow. And I preferred it to Celebrity (just one cruise).

Not sure if this is what you were looking for, but here it is for what it's worth!

Hi Everyone,

As this thread is not Oceania related, I'm closing this thread.

To the OP : May I suggest posting your questions on the NCL forum ? I'm sure you will have your questions answered over at NCL.

Thanks for your understanding and participation. This thread is now closed.