David and Ivan Tour Question

RN Sharks

We have a tour booked with David and Ivan in October and have heard nothing but the best about their company. Unfortunately, one of the people in our group has difficulty with long walks, hills and hiking due to arthritis and she is concerned that she will not be able to participate in the tour. Can anyone who has done this tour to Chacchoben comment on the amount of walking involved?

Thanks

:)

I, too have arthritis in my knees and ankles and the walking is so slow with many stops to listen to David or Ivan tell you the history of the place that by the end of the tour I was a little winded but not too bad. There is one set of stairs that you may want to avoid (the group will come back around to you) but the rest of the tour is well worth it. David was so accomodating to our group, we had several ladies who were very overweight and with asthma, arthritis, and simply age to deal with. You simply do NOT want to miss this tour. It was the highlight of our trip.

Toured Chacchoben with Dave and Ivan on Aug 30. We met them both in the morning and Ivan took us on the tour. This area is basically flat such that if it is not then you are looking at an unexcavated ruin. Near the end of the tour is a huge mayan made plateau which measures about 3 football fields in area. There are two amazing temples build on top of the plateau - you will want to go up. The plateau is about 35 feet high with large steps on the side (12-15 inches each). We had a small tour group with two small children and a senior person. DW and myself are in lousy shape. We each took our time getting up and coming down. This is the only physical challenge of the tour. Actually the place where we came down is probably easier to go up also. Dave and Ivan will accomodate everyone.

I agree with the other posters, the terrain is basically flat with the one set of steps if you want to see the second pyramid. It is worth it if you can manage the steps. I have pretty severe vertigo and am not in the best of shape but took my time (David took our backpack up) and basically used my hands to steady myself and DIDN'T LOOK BACK!!! :o

Going back down you have a wall to hold on to and there probably will be any number of nice people to lend a hand to steady you if you need further assistance. We had a very nice group and several of us took our time and all were glad we made the effort.

Hope you have a wonderful time!

Gail

Archived