What walkie talkies to buy for Freedom

flagger

I cannot find the links, but does someone have recommendations for Walkie Talkies with will work on the Freedom or at least the Voyager class ships. I know someone said something about 5 mile range and I know it will not totally work through steel. Also I guess one with multiple channels and sub channels.

Anyone have a recommendation?

Thanks

is probably due to the fact that most people find them really annoying on a cruise. Unless there is a medical reason to keep in contact, please leave them at home.

It is not "most people" who find them annoying. It is some people and some for good reason.

There are some rules thats I have posted many times to minimize annoying others passengers. You will want to get at least the 5 miles type walkie-talkies. You will find that there may be a few dead spots but they should work fine in most areas. Here are the rules:

1) Get the vibrate type use them on vibrate only.

2) Turn off the chirp.

3) Ensure that every user understands that they are not a toy to carry on endless conversations and are to be used at a minimum.

4) There is no need to yell into them.

5) Do not use them in the dining room or show rooms.

6) Be respectful of your fellow passengers.

We used them on Navigator for a family group of 18. They were invaluable. We followed our rules and never got a comment from anyone.

Now there are a very few people that are intolerate and would get annoyed just seeing a walkie-talkie but we never encountered any of them. Some may be the same ones who are intolerate of young children and tell you to leave them home too. Of our group of 18, we had 2 under 3 years old. See I don't agree on that point either.

1) Get the vibrate type use them on vibrate only.

2) Turn off the chirp.

3) Ensure that every user understands that they are not a toy to carry on endless conversations and are to be used at a minimum.

4) There is no need to yell into them.

5) Do not use them in the dining room or show rooms.

6) Be respectful of your fellow passengers.

Sensible and considerate guidlines. Unfortunately, my experience that been to be in an elevator or in a buffet line with some rude jerk that thinks he or she is the only person on the cruise. They are probably the same ones who feel it is perfectly acceptable to carry on a cell phone conversation while others are trying to enjoy a meal in a nice reataurant.

Some may be the same ones who are intolerate of young children and tell you to leave them home too. Of our group of 18, we had 2 under 3 years old. See I don't agree on that point either.

I think cruises are a tremendous opportunity for children to experience ocean travel and see a different part of this country or the world. Really poor behavior is often exhibited by adults - not kids.

[/color]

I think this is one of the best posts I've read in a LONG time. I travel with my almost 4 year old, next month will be his 7th cruise. When he acts up, we (hubby and I) handle the situation and him, we don't let him carry on in a public area, dining room, etc. I've watched parents let their kids go running down the hallways, in the dining room and up on the pool deck. That's the parents fault, not the child's. IMO.

BTW, on the Freedom, if you think the walkie talkies are going to be annoying, I can't imagine what the cell phone's will be. I'm not sure I will like hearing people's cells ringing sitting by the pool. Some times there is too much technology.

We have found that 7 mile types will go thru 4-5 decks, which is what we carry. They are bigger than short range types, though. You should follow all the points made by the other posters here (vibrate only etc.) Nothing more annoying than yakky teens carrying on for a half hour.

David

We were just on the Mariner, and used the ship's phones. :) They can be rented for the week at Guest Relations for $25 each. They make a light singing sound, and they vibrate. I most often felt it go off in my fanny pack rather than heard it. We conversed only long enough to determine where each other was and where to meet - no 1/2 hour conversations there. I do not believe that they annoyed anyone.

I would really recommend getting those instead!

I love ships like the Freedom. They make all the walkie-talkie carrying, screaming child bringing, ignoramous parentous go on one cruise together. My suggestion is buy the loudest, most obnoxious walkie talkies you can. Why not? Everyone else on board will have them as well. Don't forget to drop your kid in AO and sign on to the net to tell us about your 'quality time' with your kid as well...

Kudo's to you for not cruising a smaller ship with your unwanted children!!

I got them just so I could take them on our cruise, since I'd seen lots of references to how nice they were to keep in contact, and since I knew we wouldn't be using our cell phones (too expensive!) I wanted some way to reach my husband if we went off separately.

We never used them. Not once. We stayed together when we went ashore (we'd already booked some shore excursions) and I didn't have any problem finding him on the ship. I also knew if I didn't catch up with him during the day, he'd be back to change for dinner. And since we were on the ship, it wasn't like he was going anywhere without me...

I have found a great use for them though. We have a NASCAR race here twice a year, and we're about a mile from the track. It's great fun to turn on the walkie-talkies on race weekend, and listen in on other people's conversations, and put in a comment here and there. Just like the old CB radios. ;)

They're also a lot of fun for my grandson. He'll go outside 'exploring' in the backyard and tell me everything he finds.

Mo7192I love ships like the Freedom. They make all the walkie-talkie carrying, screaming child bringing, ignoramous parentous go on one cruise together. My suggestion is buy the loudest, most obnoxious walkie talkies you can. Why not? Everyone else on board will have them as well. Don't forget to drop your kid in AO and sign on to the net to tell us about your 'quality time' with your kid as well...

Kudo's to you for not cruising a smaller ship with your unwanted children!!

The OP never even mentioned children..........

Archived