Sky Freeport Kayak Excursion Questions

Hi, This is my first post, and our first cruise! We will be on the Sky in 18 days. We are thinking of booking the Lucayan National Park Kayak Experience in Freeport but have a few questions for anyone who has experience.

1. It is a 6 hour excursion, leaving at 8:30. Having never been on a cruise, we're wondering about the logistics of getting off the ship quickly and then having enough time when we get back.

2. What is the level of experience you need to kayak? First time cruisers, and first time kayakers, you see...

3. Any other opinions about the experience would be welcome.

Thank you for any help you can give!

It does sound like work, doesn't it? That may be why I can't find any reviews of the excursion! We may be the only ones crazy enough to try it! I keep thinking that too - it has to be doable, or they would not offer it. It all comes down to wether it is doable but a total day of rushing around for a so so experience. Thanks for your reply, Misteridgetpants! It's coming up quick so I have to decide soon.

Does anyone know if there is a price difference if you book on the ship rather than beforehand?

Does anyone know if there is a price difference if you book on the ship rather than beforehand?

It should be the same price either way.

Out of a 6 hour excursion I don't know how much of it is actual kayaking, but kayaking itself can be pretty tough and even if it is only 2 hours of kayaking, being in the sun and summer heat of the Bahamas, you are going to feel pretty drained. I kayak and live on the south Florida coast and get pretty picky about days / weather. I don't know you from Adam (or Eve), but if you're up for a physical challenge this could be for you. If you want to sight see and relax, this isn't it.

Whatever you do enjoy! I hope I haven't scared you off from trying if you really want. Hopefully you come back and provide a review for the rest of us. I'm going on the Sky soon for the first time (but after you) so whatever you share would be great.

While Eve was probably a bit more fit than I am, I am ready for a challenge, I think! It's 90 minutes in the kayak through the mangroves and then a 1/4 mile hike to the beach. I'm in Minnesota, where a good 80 degree day seems tropical. That whole "I may be crazy" thing just might be true. We are hoping to get away from the Freeport resorts and see some nature, so this seems like a good idea in theory...

Hi!

I've done this excursion! It was really fun and our guide was good. We went for a quick "hike" first. This had me nervous, I'm not a hiker! It was more like a nature walk. Our guide told us all about the local flora and fauna and we saw some really cool "caves," they were kind of like sink holes that had stairs down into them. It wasn't scary or sketchy at all, it was neat. To me, hiking implies up hill. It wasn't, thankfully.

Then we went across the street to where we kayaked. It's nice because you kayak down the river through the mangroves, out to the ocean. You don't actually kayak in the ocean, you beach yourselves before you get to the mouth of the river. The only part that had me a little nervous was toward the end the current got going pretty good as the river narrowed. But we were fine. It was a 2 person kayak, so if I go lazy I just let my DH paddle for a while. Yeah I'm a total brat lol.

Anyway... when we got to the beach there was a picnic area set up and we had sandwiches. There are these super cute diurnal raccoons that live near the beach and come to the picnic area. You can feed them, they are friendly. There is no rabies on the island. If I recall correctly there are no facilities at this beach so be prepared for that.

I hope this helps, if you have any other questions I'm happy to answer them if I can.

Yeah! I'm glad to touch base with someone who has done the tour! This makes me feel a lot better - I am nervous by nature, and you hit on some of my concerns. Since the issue of sun and heat came up, can you tell me about the kayak time - was it mostly open to the sun, or shaded? Will we fry in July? I can see you were on the Sky too - since we've never cruised before, any tips on disembarking? It seems like a tight crunch to get to the tour on time. Thanks so much Lacaena!

Yeah! I'm glad to touch base with someone who has done the tour! This makes me feel a lot better - I am nervous by nature, and you hit on some of my concerns. Since the issue of sun and heat came up, can you tell me about the kayak time - was it mostly open to the sun, or shaded? Will we fry in July? I can see you were on the Sky too - since we've never cruised before, any tips on disembarking? It seems like a tight crunch to get to the tour on time. Thanks so much Lacaena!

The mangroves offered some cover, and we were under them a portion of the time. Sometimes they are so close overhead that you have to take your paddle apart and just use half, the guide will tell you when. The day we went it was overcast, although not raining. This was in October. In July, it's probably going to be around 90. Bring water! They give you a waterproof bag to put your stuff in which is nice. There's plenty of shade along the beach, when you get there.

As far as disembarking, they know if you have a tour planned, and they know if they're missing anybody when they set off. Just give yourself as much time as you reasonably can as it can be a little slow to get off the ship. Chances are if there's a delay in disembarking, you won't be the only ones held up. We had no problem getting to the meeting point with time to spare.

Enjoy! If you think of any other questions, let me know!