Nautilus Submarine anyone?

Gemini8

I'm on the Radiance on Dec 11 - traveling with my mom who is a "young" senior citizen with a bum knee....she also tends to be a bit claustrophobic so I don't want to do a fully submerged adventure with her. Might anyone be able to give me any feedback or comments on the Nautilus experience?

thanks for the replies.

sheryl

Gemini, we also did this excursion several years ago for almost the same reason, my MIL had injured her leg and couldn't get around. We also had our 2 year old daughter with us, and wanted her to experience what "under the sea" was like. Everyone enjoyed it and it wasn't claustrophobic.

I will give you a suggestion though, book it on your own through Atlantis Submarines. You can go to their website to book. You will save yourself lots of cash. Atlantis is located right at the pier the tender will come into, so it's easy to find and no transportation is needed. If you do an early or mid morning trip, you will have plenty of time to do something else. Given the medical situation, I'd recommend heading to Seven Mile Beach, it's only a short cab ride away, and you can sit at one of the hotels or restaurants with beach chairs right in front, use their facilities, and have a great lunch. If you read through the GC threads, you'll see a couple of tour companies you could look into, or just book this through the cruise line.

Thanks for the response boat bunny - I'll take the advice and book as individuals on our time frame and then cab it with my mom to see some of the island....

happy cruising to you on your next adventure where ever it takes you :p

The Nautilis is a different company from the Atlantis submarine company. The Nautilis also has a website and you may be able to book directly with them also, depending on the contract they have with the particular cruiseline you are on.

I have written several extensive comments and reviews of the Nautlis on this forum and if you do a search, you will find quite a bit of information about the two excursions.

The Nautilis is strictly a semisubmersible. It is quite large in the submerged portion--a very large open room. I don't believe your mother would have a problem here. The Atlantis offers a semisubmersible tour, a submarine that goes down quite far, and a deep water submarine. We have been on all of these and found them to be much smaller/tighter area. In the semisubmersible, you go down into a bottom portion that is much more narrow and sit shoulder to shoulder with others. Between the two semisubmersible options (Nautilis and Atlantis) we thought Nautlis was much better. And none of us have the problem your mother has.

Also, the Nautilus offers a tour which also includes a snorkeling option for those who desire to snorkel as well.

Archived