Victoria Express

Hello,

I apologize if this is posted already, but after a few attempts at searching for it I could not find the answer to my question. We have booked ourselves on the Victoria Express, an excursion offered from our cruise line that takes us from the pier to downtown and back. It does not say where it drops off, and we are trying to plan a few things in the short time we are there (I think it is only 4 or 5 hours in port). Do any of you know where the Victoria Express drops off in downtown Victoria? TIA! J

Edited by K-Dogg

My guess would be across the street from the Empress Hotel in the 700 blk of Government St. but maybe if you told us which cruise line you were on someone would have better information. I have no idea what you are paying for this transfer but a cab to the same location would be $10 each way and there are lots of cabs available.

Have never heard of that specifically but I hope you're not paying a lot for it as you can take a cab into downtown for about $10.00. Most likely would drop you off by the Empress Hotel. You could also walk from the pier to downtown in about 20 minutes.

Obviously Putt and I typing at the same time

Edited by cruiseryyc

Thank you! We are coming in on the Crown Princess. The shuttle is inexpensive, around $10 per person, and goes back and forth every 20 minutes. Last time we were in this port we waited in a long line for a cab, and it worked fine, but we have 6 of us this time and were worried we wouldn't be able to find a large cab to go together. Thanks again!

Edited by K-Dogg

Thank you! Both those links seem to drop around the same place as you mentioned off Government. That should work. :) I am worried about getting all six of us in one cab and last time was very hectic to get anything when we got in to port. I think we may stick to the shuttle service just to keep us together and hopefully avoid a wait.

On another note, do any of you know a good place to get Poutine and a shop to buy canadian candies? I have a small list of items friends back home want to try. Thanks!!

The maximum you are going to get in a cab is 4 so 2 cabs will be needed but that is still only $40 compared with $60 on the shuttle and the cab is much more convenient....but in the end whatever you are most comfortable with will be the best.

I am not a poutine person so I am no help there but for candy, there is Oh, Sugar, the English Sweet Shop and of course the world famous Roger's Chocolate store which is about 2 blocks down Government Street from where your shuttle lets you off. There is also Purdy's Chocolates in the Bay Centre....I'd give you a link but their server seems to be down this evening. You will also find a number of shops that sell maple candy and alike on Government St.

http://www.ohsugar.ca/

http://www.englishsweets.com/index.htm

http://www.rogerschocolates.com/

For Poutine try the following dedicated poutineries, although many places around town have their own individual poutine (or rather 'poutinesque') dishes on the menu, involving some combo of fires, cheese, protein & gravy:

La Belle Patate

Poutine66

NB: both of these are out of the touristy-downtown area, so a cab begins to look significantly better than a shuttle as it can take you anywhere rather than just to the Fairmont/Museum/Parliament area.

I would add that if said people in your party are in any way fit and able to walk, it's not really that far. Perhaps transportation one way and walk the other way. Victoria is beautiful and very walkable, and I hate that they are charging so much just to go to town. *shakes head*

We are only talking about a $20 difference, IF the cabs are really only charging $10 each way. Have any of you come into Victoria off of the Crown Princess before? When we were there before (same days and times but on the Golden Princess), the lines and crowds waiting for cabs/carriages/etc was insane. Our thinking with the Victoria Express was to avoid some of this and be able to stay together. My mother and father in law are not as keen on walking, otherwise my husband, kids, and I would walk. :)

As I said in my earlier post, whatever you are most comfortable with is the right decision....this is not brain surgery.:) I see the Purdy's server is up tonight so I will provide the link below. I have known the family that owns Purdy's for more than 40 years and while they make an excellent product and have great pride in what the do....Roger's is just a little more special

http://www.purdys.com/StoreLocationDetails.aspx?loc=135

....Roger's is just a little more special..

Oh man... Rogers Chocolates... I lived in Victoria for 35 years and then moved away. On our recent Alaska cruise we stopped in Victoria for six hours and our first stop was Rogers... bought me a whole box of Victoria Creams and indeed, it was very special. :):):)

Oh man... Rogers Chocolates... I lived in Victoria for 35 years and then moved away. On our recent Alaska cruise we stopped in Victoria for six hours and our first stop was Rogers... bought me a whole box of Victoria Creams and indeed, it was very special. :):):)

Did you eat them all in one sitting; or did some actually make it home to Langley ? :-)

Several years ago I had a blonde moment, bought several boxes and then left them in the car while I was doing something else - yup ended up with boxes of one mass of melted chocloate and cream :-(

FYI - as I'm blonde I'm allowed to ridicule myself!

Edited by cruiseryyc

Did you eat them all in one sitting; or did some actually make it home to Langley ? :-)

Several years ago I had a blonde moment, bought several boxes and then left them in the car while I was doing something else - yup ended up with boxes of one mass of melted chocloate and cream :-(

FYI - as I'm blonde I'm allowed to ridicule myself!

I've done that too, but it never stopped me from cooling the big lump of chocolate down and chipping away at it!:)

Not sure what candy is specifically Canadian, I'd be interested to know. I personally prefer Bernard Callebaut, 621 Broughton. I'm really not a Rogers fan, I work about a block from their Sidney location and our pts always buy them for us at Xmas, go for the Callebaut, or Purdy's, it's very good as well.

I would agree that I'm not sure what a Canadian candy is...certainly there have been a lot of chocolatiers spring up all over the place. One of my faves is Hot Chocolates up in Courtenay....mind you it does take a 3rd mortgage to purchase a pound, I am still stinging from Christmas. I still think Rogers produce an excellent product however, I think they have in a sense diluted their brand somewhat through the wide distribution of their product....I mean you can even purchase Rogers in a hardware store in the interior. But going into that heritage store on Government St. still is pretty special.:)

I would agree that I'm not sure what a Canadian candy is...certainly there have been a lot of chocolatiers spring up all over the place. One of my faves is Hot Chocolates up in Courtenay....mind you it does take a 3rd mortgage to purchase a pound, I am still stinging from Christmas. I still think Rogers produce an excellent product however, I think they have in a sense diluted their brand somewhat through the wide distribution of their product....I mean you can even purchase Rogers in a hardware store in the interior. But going into that heritage store on Government St. still is pretty special.:)

I'll have to check out Hot Chocolates the next time I'm up Island. I don't mind Rogers if it's not the Victoria Creams, they are just too sweet for my tastes. The original building is very nice though, supposedly haunted!