Any Good Deal on Merchandise on Ship or Duty Free Shops?

qcraze

Are any of the "deals" actually deals? I am referring to shops on the ship, the duty free shops outside the ship, and the shops right off the pier in Cozumel? I am always curious if anything is worth buying.

Are any of the "deals" actually deals? I am referring to shops on the ship, the duty free shops outside the ship, and the shops right off the pier in Cozumel? I am always curious if anything is worth buying.

I don't see huge differences (if any) between the ship's prices on alcohol/smokes versus the shops in and around the pier. You can get some ok deals on booze if that's what you're looking for, a few bucks cheaper than stores on land.

Make sure you do research beforehand for any big ticket items (watches, jewelry) so you're armed with knowledge of market prices. Unless you pay for internet access, you won't be able to price check onboard. Don't think for a second that they aren't willing to take advantage of that.

There was a watch I had my eye on at a retail store in my hometown. By luck it was on the ship and considerably cheaper. The only reason I bought it was because I knew the actual price, otherwise I wouldn't have even noticed.

On my last cruise, I picked up 2-liters of Absolut Vodka for $30 dollars in the funshop. A fifth in my hometown is $20 bucks.

Every once in a while you run into a true sale onboard. Bought thick zippered hoodies for $15. Best latest onboard purchase was on Princess $15 for a red packable rain shell. The same one in navy was $30.

perfume on the ship is less expensive than Macy's

Beware, pursue actually has a shelf life, after which its sold off to second retailers (purfumania, those door to door companies, etc) not sure where carnival falls in the pecking order.

source: wife: Macy's perfume counter manager who has to pack up "expired"perfume monthly

I am really interested in how the makeup and perfume is priced compared to a decent sale at ulta or sephora. Would I be better off just treating myself at home?

For perfume, it depends on what you're looking for, and whether you're comparing to the absolute lowest price (like Ebay). There are some brands that can be fairly difficult to find in the U.S. unless you order online, like Van Cleef & Arpels, that are relatively easily found in a lot of the perfume stores in port for sometimes good deals. I got a bottle of VC&A First for a decent price, and I still want a bottle of Feerie (more for the bottle than the scent). On one of my last cruises, I bought a bottle of Hermes L'Ambre des Merveilles at the San Juan airport duty-free that was $20 less than what I could buy in the U.S. (not available at Ulta, and less than what I would pay at Sephora unless I had a 20% coupon).

I've never been overly impressed with the perfume variety on the ships. It's generally the same stuff and nothing more interesting than what you would see at a Macy's. I try to always buy a bottle of perfume in port on my cruises, but you have to both have an idea of what you're looking for, and be open to trying some brands that you've never seen before.

I'm not generally impressed with the variety of make-up on ships or in port. It's generally very low variety of both brands and shades. I'm very fair (generally one of the first two shades a brand offers), and I've never been able to find a color match on a ship. They might offer 2-3 shades of foundation in mid-tones, a few lipsticks, and a few glosses. If you're looking for something specific, you're probably going to be disappointed.

Edited by ldlewis45

Its really almost impossible to compare prices on watches, especially Citizen. The ones sold in the cruise ship gift shops are manufactured especially for those gift shops are not the same quality you get in the stores on land. Buyer beware.

Its really almost impossible to compare prices on watches, especially Citizen. The ones sold in the cruise ship gift shops are manufactured especially for those gift shops are not the same quality you get in the stores on land. Buyer beware.

My current everyday watch was purchased on a ship but do see your point. Wouldnt buy an expensive watch on a ship.

Liquor like Crown is about half price from the home price; however, since Texas implemented a liquor tax of 3.30-4.00 a bottle, it makes the cheaper liquors such as rum not worth the effort to bring back for just a couple of bucks savings.

I see the cosmetic prices are the same as home, i.e. Estee Lauder. You just don't pay tax. Not worth the effort unless you ran out. I would wait for the free gift events at home.