Anthem of the Seas - Highs and Lows, Questions Welcome

I have gotten so much out of my time on CruiseCritic I figured the least I could do is post a few items from this recent cruise and of course be happy to answer any and all questions.

I did post a full review already so I won't just reprint all that here. I can tell you that I've been on about 17 cruises including RCL, NCL, Windstar, Crystal, Disney, Princess and Tauck. I think I have a wide cross section of experiences.

Let me mention some highlights of my Anthem of the Seas sailing (June 13th)

*Incredible internet. Sure, there were a few 'slow" periods but I've never experienced speed like this onboard. Frequently 2MB to 10MB speed and an all in price point of about $15 per day. Several different packages and discounts you could choose from.

*Ship is impressive. It is very sleek, quite modern and has an really fun array of interactive experiences including an art collection like no other. Sure, if you are into very classic art it might not be your cup of tea but it's fun no matter your style.

*Fun experiences - where else can you ride bumper cars, experience iFly skydiving simulator, roller-skate and have a drink served by a robotic arm?

*I know it's new but definitely extremely well maintained so far. Everything seems to shine.

*SOME dining experiences are excellent. Wonderland is well worth it for the food and experience. Cafe 270 is a winner for casual and convenience. Jamie's (now back to a flat rate) was high quality.

*Plenty of free coffee and some of the better coffee I've had at no charge on a ship

Low lights?

First, let me say you'll have a great time on this sailing so this critique doesn't mean it's not a fun trip however...

*The service is really not ready for prime time. I had some "ok" service and some bad service. Nobody really stood out which has never happened on a sailing for me. I had an awful experience with a bartender who refused to let anyone see the menu - he literally hid it - mainly didn't want to bother with the more complicated drinks. And had two really poor experiences in main dining rooms (Chic and Grande)-- in one case we had four people arguing on the staff when we asked to move one table over and then our server once we got his attention rushed us and was quite disinterested. In the Grande it took 35 minutes to even get our drink order in. Enough said.

*The tendering ports are brutal. This ship is too large - it probably will get better but there were 2 hour waits in Guernsey to get back onboard. Getting off was also an hour to 2 hours. Ports with a pier/dock? Easy - walk off.

*Food was mixed. Major standouts and some real misses. I was very disappointed with the Windjammer for breakfast in particular. Not up to my recent "buffet" experiences on comparable NCL Getaway ship.

A few tips?

Reserve online. I couldn't believe how many people show up and haven't reserved a thing. First of all, they take a ton of the staff time that could be better spent, cause long lines and confusion. Yes, it will take you a few hours of online time but so worth it.

Do the iFly. Great experience - any age.

Shows are good. It will be personal of course but they do a nice job and the event stages are really impressive. But, get there early for 270. People get there 30-45 minutes before show time and seats will fill up.

Standby people on our sailing seemed to be getting in - a lot of people don't show up for their reserved times.

Do pay for the premium restaurants. I know, I know there are 4 sit down restaurants included (and they are good with the service exceptions) but I think it's worth it to upgrade at least on a couple of evenings to a paid premium restaurant.

Making a spa reservation? Press the service staff for better times - they hold back the better times and try to get you to take the worst times - 8am, etc... even smarter? Book online at home and see all the times available.

Use the gym if that's your thing - I found it to be the right size for this ship and always had open equipment.

Enjoy!