Multiple policies vs Either Or

Is purchasing the cruise line policy as well as an additional trip insurance policy a waste?

Princess Vacation Protection offers $50,000 emergency evacuation, $20,000 accident, & $20,000 sickness but I hear evacuation from the ship might cost up to $100,000.

So if I purchase another policy (through a 3rd party vendor) that covers up to $100,000 evacuation will I have $150,000 evacuation coverage total?

I am thinking that if I have the Princess coverage then if something happens on board, Princess will already have that insurance info on file and can process it right away without me having to make claims and then if the expenses exceed then I can put in a request with the other insurance.

You can buy an evacuation policy such as MedJet Assist which will provide better coverage than Princess in that you can request to be flown to the hospital of your choice. Princess insurance provides evacuation to the nearest appropriate facility. After that, the Medical Director of the company that administers the plan must approve your move.

If you are asking about buying a second comprehensive policy that also covers evacuation, medical, and cancellation to supplement your Princess coverage, I'd say no. You'd be paying twice for the same thing, and it could be problematic to co-ordinate benefits between the two. If you are not comfortable with the coverage limits of the Princess plan, shop for a third party policy with better coverage.

Just because you have a Princess policy does not mean that they will handle the claim for you. It does not work like it does at home where you just show your insurance card. If you go to the ship's infirmary, the charges will be added to your on-board account. You'll have to submit a claim once you get home. Be sure to get the proper documentation from the doctor beore you leave the ship.

Thanks for your advice Babr. I don't know why I feel like I need to buy Princess' coverage but I also want more coverage.

I will shop around for third party coverage with higher limits and drop the Princess insurance.

thanks.

Edited by candycaramel