Filipino Adobo in the MDR

Barry ATL

USA Today posted an article "Five Myths About Cruise Ship Food".

http://experience.usatoday.com/cruise/story/cruise-101/2015/06/26/five-myths-about-cruise-ship-food/29237459/

One of the things mentioned is order off of menu in the MDR on the mass market lines. The example is trying some international food since the crew represents many countries. The article specifically mentioned Filipo Adobo. I LOVE adobo. Anybody tried ordering that before?

OP thanks for sharing the article.

I don't have any experience with the Adobo but 10 years ago on a Carnival cruise we cruised as a group and our waiter in the MDR saw my 70 year indian grandmother was struggling with the food.

The following night they arranged a few simple Indian items for her which presumably were made for the staff on the boat (there was no Indian food being served in the buffet or restaurants).

By the end of the cruise half our group has switched over to the Indian food which they all thought was exceptionally prepared with a nice rotation of dishes over the 7 night cruise.

That touch was the highlight of the cruise for her by far. We are on Silhouette next year and are hopeful that we can arrange something like that for her again. Despite in the last year a number of health issues she is adamant about joining for the cruise, talking about how great the people and the service were last time.

Anyone have any experience arranging Indian food in either Blu or the MDR?

We were on the Silhouette earlier this month (Baltic) and our Maitre'D ERDY arranged for Vegetarian and Non vegetarian food for most of my family members in the MDR every alternate night. I really enjoy the continental food while some family members prefer Indian food and they all said that the food was excellent.

The staff and chefs really do go out of their way to ensure you have a good time on this amazing ship.

We have on longer cruises needed a change from standard food and spoken to our waiter to ask for Indian the following night. Not a problem, they genuinely want everyone to be happy. I would add that if we want anything different or special in the MDR or speciality restaurants we always ask the night before.

I have experience with adobo. I grew up in a military family, but was shielded from the constant moving around because my parents did most of that travel before I was born and then retired shortly around or after I was born. We had adobo at least a couple times each month. It was amazing and easy to make in a pressure cooker. I would definitely order it if it or something similar showed up on a cruise ship MDR menu. In NOV 2014, we dined with a couple that my partner and I met on the roll call and from our pre-cruise hotel stay. We were in Blu, but dined with them a couple times in specialty restaurants and the MDR in Select for two nights. They were craving something more flavorful and spicy, and their waiter made arrangements for them to get a special Indian dish that wasn't on the menu. They mentioned to us and invited us to join them. It was very spicy and some of the best food I've ever had on a cruise ship. This is one of the reasons I'm coming back to the MDR on my next cruise.

Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus on the T-Mobile 4G LTE Network using Tapatalk Pro

Edited by vulcan1971

As my wife is Indian we always request Indian food with our reservation and it's always prepared for her. On our last X cruise on the Equinox the waiter in the MDR took her request for the following evening, no problem.

One night the chef came by and I noticed he wa Jamacian and he made jerk chicken for me. :)

OP thanks for sharing the article.

I don't have any experience with the Adobo but 10 years ago on a Carnival cruise we cruised as a group and our waiter in the MDR saw my 70 year indian grandmother was struggling with the food.

The following night they arranged a few simple Indian items for her which presumably were made for the staff on the boat (there was no Indian food being served in the buffet or restaurants).

By the end of the cruise half our group has switched over to the Indian food which they all thought was exceptionally prepared with a nice rotation of dishes over the 7 night cruise.

That touch was the highlight of the cruise for her by far. We are on Silhouette next year and are hopeful that we can arrange something like that for her again. Despite in the last year a number of health issues she is adamant about joining for the cruise, talking about how great the people and the service were last time.

I think things may have changed since your last cruise. Indian food is available DAILY in the buffet. I'm sure it could be made available for you in the MDR as well.

To me (second-generation Canadian) it wasn't the best Indian food I'd ever had and didn't come close to my local restaurants, but it was nice to see on board. There was an older Indian lady on my sailing and she just took to me (must be the brown skin!) and kept steering me to the Indian buffet whenever she saw me. lol.

My kids enjoyed the rice (although not as good as Mom's!). Hubby (not Indian) enjoyed the curries almost every day for lunch. I can't remember what the bread was that they served - it wasn't naan and my kids didn't like it (but i'm sure they don't have a tandoor on the ship).

Queen the lack of Indian food was on a Carnival cruise from nearly a decade ago.

Last year on the Equinox I did see the Indian food in the buffet which I agree gives me great comfort that Blu should be able to be helpful since the ingredients are all onboard.

I think things may have changed since your last cruise. Indian food is available DAILY in the buffet. I'm sure it could be made available for you in the MDR as well.

To me (second-generation Canadian) it wasn't the best Indian food I'd ever had and didn't come close to my local restaurants, but it was nice to see on board. There was an older Indian lady on my sailing and she just took to me (must be the brown skin!) and kept steering me to the Indian buffet whenever she saw me. lol.

My kids enjoyed the rice (although not as good as Mom's!). Hubby (not Indian) enjoyed the curries almost every day for lunch. I can't remember what the bread was that they served - it wasn't naan and my kids didn't like it (but i'm sure they don't have a tandoor on the ship).

Actually I was told by an Indian hostess on the CCL Legend in 2014 that the newer CCL ships do have tandoors.

We were on the CCL Triumph in 2010 (before its ill fated cruise in the gulf) and we met the exec. chef who is Indian. He told us that they got so many requests for Indian food on day one of their cruises that they added an Indian entree to the menu on the first night.

One night the chef came by and I noticed he wa Jamacian and he made jerk chicken for me. :)

That's the only way you'll get jerk chicken on board. The stuff they serve off the menu is no more than fried chicken, no spice at all. And mention that fact to a waiter he'll do two things: tell you not all passengers like spicy food (then don't order jerk chicken, I reply), and hand you a bottle of hot sauce, as if that will make things right.

As good as the lamb chops are on cruise ships, the jerk chicken is bad.