no kids pricing for specialty dining :/

rach1fun

I just purchased the specialty dining package for 4 days for my hubby and I for our upcoming cruise. Our kids, 10 and 7, are coming with us. As I understand it, there used to be a 50% fee for kids in the specialty restaurant. That would be a better deal than buying the package for them. I was planning on letting them decide that night if they wanted to order from the complimentary kids menu or get something off of the specialty menu. Turns out, now they have taken away the kids rates and they pay regular price if they want to order from specialty menu. Now I need to decide ahead of time what I think they will do. My older kid is a no brainer, always orders from adult menu, but unsure on the 7 yr old what he will want to do :( First of all, bummed at the change (though I understand that if I were going to a regular restaurant on land it would be the same way)...but then, does anyone have a copy of the kids menu so I can try to judge what my 7 yr old will do? What would you do?

I just purchased the specialty dining package for 4 days for my hubby and I for our upcoming cruise. Our kids, 10 and 7, are coming with us. As I understand it, there used to be a 50% fee for kids in the specialty restaurant. That would be a better deal than buying the package for them. I was planning on letting them decide that night if they wanted to order from the complimentary kids menu or get something off of the specialty menu. Turns out, now they have taken away the kids rates and they pay regular price if they want to order from specialty menu. Now I need to decide ahead of time what I think they will do. My older kid is a no brainer, always orders from adult menu, but unsure on the 7 yr old what he will want to do :( First of all, bummed at the change (though I understand that if I were going to a regular restaurant on land it would be the same way)...but then, does anyone have a copy of the kids menu so I can try to judge what my 7 yr old will do? What would you do?

Does the 7 yr old have to eat with you? If you can make dinner reservations for around 7:30 then you could feed the 7 yo in the buffet and then drop him/her off at splash academy at 7, when they reopen.

The kids menu on our recent cruise was standard kids fare. Mac and cheese, chicken fingers, pizza etc.

However what we usually did, was order the kids some apps, or something from the main dining room.

Never had a problem getting what we wanted for the kids.

The only place that was a bit difficult was Moderno and Teppanyaki.

It was really weird at Teppanyaki...I always had an extra chicken breast on my plate. Perfect size for my kids with a wink. :)

They'll take good care of them, no worries.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest phd1003
Does the 7 yr old have to eat with you? If you can make dinner reservations for around 7:30 then you could feed the 7 yo in the buffet and then drop him/her off at splash academy at 7, when they reopen.

Exactly what we plan on doing when we cruise already reserved our 7pm dinner times (Except 1st night, Teppanyaki at 9) The kids (3,5,7,9) prefer the kids area at the buffet on the Dawn and fight us when we want to have a sit down dinner at the MDR's...You still have time to eat and make the second show at 9pm...

With the new a la carte dining some of the specialty restaurants this should become a lot easier for families with children. You will not have to pay the full fare just pay for what they will eat.

Rochelle