Something weird that happened...

Vitality08

I learned about the 12 hour sale and after discussing it with my travel partner we decided to switch our booking and save $70 a person.

I went to the carnival site and dialed the number listed. The recording started off with a survey which was different than my previous experiences but I answered the survey. It next said that as a thank you for completing the survey I would get a free cruise. At this point, I'm a lil skeptical. So a man comes on the phone to start telling me about my cruise aboard the Grand Celebration (or something like that). I'm really confused now so I look at the number I dialed compared to the number on the website. I accidentally dialed a number 1 digit off from Carnival and ended up with Celebration or some company claiming to represent them. I'm really not sure because I hung up while the guy was speaking.

Just wanted to make people aware that there are companies that evidently purposely use numbers similar to carnival in hopes that you misdial.

After hanging up, I reached carnival and switched booking categories. We're now in a guarantee room but at a $70 savings per person we're willing to risk it.

Happy Cruising.

It's called "fat finger dialing" companies set up 800# that are one digit off and hope to snag customers.

At times it's even a scam to slam charges on your phone.

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/41874162/ns/business-consumer_news/t/fat-fingers-be-careful-when-you-make-call/

Glad you got the right # and the savings.

Edited by ohiogymrat

Did they speak with a Nigerian accent? There are some good deals on this 12 Hours Sale + only the normal cancellation penalty applies. Only 3 hours left to book, hold the cheap rate and decide later.

I dialed the same "wrong number" as the op a couple of weeks ago. When I realized it wasn't Carnival I hung up on them.

Unfortunately' date=' I forgot to jot down the number I called. Do you still have it? Maybe you could report it to Carnival and they can have it gotten rid of.

Are you kidding?

SMFH

How about this idea? Make sure you are dialing the correct number.

Are you kidding?

SMFH

How about this idea? Make sure you are dialing the correct number.

No, I am not. This "company" is committing fraud against Carnival's customers and potential costumers, and thus directly hurting Carnival. Plus, Carnival has the legal muscle to get the applicable authority to investigate them. Therefore, they have the motive, ability, and legal standing to do something about it.

As for your snide remark; are you saying you have never dialed a wrong number? Is that what you are saying?

Southwest Airlines has this same situation.

If you miss a digit, you get what "sounds" like an on-hold message and menu, you do a survey and BOOM you get a free giftcard from Target or Walmart.

When they say that you won, you get transferred for a live human that asks for your CC information for handling fees.

No' date=' I am not. This "company" is committing fraud against Carnival's customers and potential costumers, and thus directly hurting Carnival. Plus, Carnival has the legal muscle to get the applicable authority to investigate them. Therefore, they have the motive, ability, and legal standing to do something about it.

As for your snide remark; are you saying you have never dialed a wrong number? Is that what you are saying?[/quote']

No, I have not dialed a wrong number since I can see the numbers I put in before I hit send.

As long as the number on the website is correct, and it is, it is not carnivals business what the numbers on either side of theirs goes to.

As long as the number on the website is correct, and it is, it is not carnivals business what the numbers on either side of theirs goes to.

Wrong.

When those other numbers go to someone who fraudulently try to convince people they are Carnival, it is Carnival's business. It violates Carnival's intellectual property rights and, also, Carnival could lose customers.

The 'Free' cruise they wanted to 'give' you would be on the Grand Celebration, formerly Carnival Celebration, sailing from West Palm Beach to Freeport, for Bahamas Paradise cruise line. There is a forum here for them. EM

Wrong.

When those other numbers go to someone who fraudulently try to convince people they are Carnival' date=' it is Carnival's business. It violates Carnival's intellectual property rights and, also, Carnival could lose customers.[/quote']

I agree, and a lot of times it is a pure scam anyway. I appreciate the poster for giving the heads up! And wouldn't hurt to report to Carnival as well.

I dialed the same "wrong number" as the op a couple of weeks ago. When I realized it wasn't Carnival I hung up on them.

Unfortunately' date=' I forgot to jot down the number I called. Do you still have it? Maybe you could report it to Carnival and they can have it gotten rid of.[/quote']

I first dialed 800-765-7419 when I meant to dial 800-764-7419.