Drinking water on Epic?

tweeterbug

Hi, hubby and I just booked our first NCL cruise and we have the UBP. I understand that this does not include bottled water. Wondering if we should bring a case of water on board with us or simply fill our water bottles when needed. What is the drinking water quality like on the Epic? We aren't super fussy we just want to make sure it doesn't taste bad😝 Thanks for any advice😀

Edited by tweeterbug
Misleading title

Thank you for posting this, I was going to post a similar question! I plan on taking a water bottle (I have one with a built in filter) and filling it from the cabin sink as and when I need it, but was worrying what the water would be like. Glad to know it's drinkable!

Thank you for posting this, I was going to post a similar question! I plan on taking a water bottle (I have one with a built in filter) and filling it from the cabin sink as and when I need it, but was worrying what the water would be like. Glad to know it's drinkable!

While the water quality is fine (mostly distilled or desalinated, but some shore water), and using a refillable water bottle is a good idea, you may want to do things a little differently.

Water on the ship is constantly being chlorinated for public health reasons, so that there must be a residual chlorine content at the farthest point from the engine room, meaning that locations around the ship will have varying chlorine contents, since the chlorine dissipates naturally with time. The water from your sink tap may taste "funny" or "unpleasant" due to this chlorine content. If you want to do this, I suggest filling the water bottle the night before, and leaving it sit open (even in the fridge), and the chlorine will dissipate naturally and improve the taste.

Alternatively, you can go to the buffet or bars and have your water bottle refilled there. The advantage here is that the water dispensers or bar guns have charcoal filters to take the chlorine out (more of a maintenance issue, not for taste). The water served in the dining venues comes from these filtered dispensers as well.

If you are refilling your water bottle from the water dispenser at the buffet, please follow the instructions not to refill directly into your bottle. For sanitation purposes, use a clean glass from the buffet, fill the glass and then pour from the glass into your water bottle without touching glass to bottle.