Upsell Fairy? Who gets the call?

jeffregpuck

I'm just curious, as I have never personally had the upsell fairy call me. Now, I do normally keep an eye on things, and I will call and ask for upgrades, etc. But I have never had anyone call me and offer a deal on a better cabin/perks/changes, etc.

Is there a system they use, or is it just totally random?

Based on amount you've already spent?

Gold/Platinum member get first dibs?

I've only had one upsell call and it was on the Gem's CTN 2 years ago. Went from an aft penthouse to OS for a relatively small amount of money.

I have called on other cruises when I saw the price drop. I sail on the BA on Sunday in a FF Penthouse and when I called after a significant price drop they offered my a haven spa suite for no cost but I didn't take it as my kids and friends are sailing next to us as I reserved. They did offer some OBC however after I declined on the spa suite. Not nearly what the price drop was worth but very appreciated considering I called well after final payment.

To answer you other question...I don't think there is a system besides what cabins people are booked in and whether or not NCL thinks they can move people up/around for a price. I'm not platinum but admittedly have always sailed in suites.

Hope that helps!

We are Platinum, and have never had an Upsale Fairy email or call, either. So your Latitude level is not a factor. I suspect it's on a cruise-by-cruise and cabin-by-cabin basis. If your cruise is full AND if you have a cabin that is NOT a suite or highest category mini-suite, you might get an offer to trade up for an additional fee. It wouldn't hurt to let your TA or PCC at NCL know you're interested.

Helps a little...LOL. Sounds like it might be random.

My DH and I are both gold (will be platinum after this sailing), but we've never been called for an upgrade offer.

I wonder if it matters if you book directly through NCL, or through certain travel agents, or if it really is just completely random!

I've always thought NCL's policy for upgrading/upselling was random and probably based on supply and demand. Sometimes the offers are not much of a deal. Lots of balconies available so make an offer to someone who has an inside and so on.

We have been cruising with NCL since 2007 and have never received an offer. I did call and ask for an upgrade to a suite once and was given what amounted to a small discount. I think it was about 10%.

I got an email 3 weeks ago for our sailing on 7/12. It wasn't anything we could ever swing (5,000pp suite/7,500pp Haven.) We're currently booked in an OK that we paid 1,000 for with UBP through ncl.com and it's our first time sailing NCL.

I was booked in a Mini Suite on the Pearl and it was a Repo Cruise! On a Friday two weeks before the Cruise at 4;30 the Upsell called my TA and offered me the Two Bedroom Suite for a small price. So two weeks later at 4:30 (my last day at work) the up sell Fairy called my TA and offered me the OS for a small price! Go figure! Wow what a rush! So I always thought they might start with the Mini Suites to fill up the Suites. I have a Cruise Buddy that told me it happened to her twice! And I wouldn't be suprised if they check out the very frequent NCL Cruisers! Good luck!