Best stores for Tequila in Cozumel?

JawjaFatBoy

I'm looking for some stores near the cruise port (walking distance since we will have a toddler with us) that have a good selection of non import or hard to find tequilas. We were in Cozumel in 2011, but I didn't know any better and didn't look very hard for these. I do remember the lady in the duty free shop showed me a couple that she said were not available in the US. I even sampled a couple that were quite good and I still passed.:( This trip I plan to correct that.

So, tequila aficionados, please help me out! What are some "must have" brands or varieties that I can find in Cozumel that I either can't get here in the states or are very uncommon? And where are the best places to look for them?

Thanks in advance!

Unfortunately for Puerta Maya, you choice is the Dufry shop as you exit the pier.

If you go to the taxi stand outside the shopping area entrance, you can take a taxi to COVI Liquor on Avenida 30 and Calle 2, in the near north part of San Miguel. They usually have the better selection of tequilas. Any taxi driver knows where it is. And along that section of Avenida 30 are a couple of nice local spots, not overly frequented by cruisers, to grab a bite. Las Molcajetes or Roticeria El Triunfo (great rotisserie chicken) are just 2 of several.

Mega mart and Chedraui super markets have good selections and are closer to the southern piers.

• 4 weeks later...

Thank you!

From what I remember from our last trip to Cozumel, the Dufry shop had a fairly good selection and gave samples of many. I didn't go to the Mega, but I think that will definitely be a stop this time.

I have a short list of tequilas I want to look for, but I'm also open to suggestions from cruisers who have found some particularly good varieties.

Thanks again!

Hacienda Antigua makes some nice tequilas, including the blue Mar Mix.

They are located next to Casa Denis about 2 blocks east and one block south of Restaurant Palmeras across the street from the PDC ferry terminal.

Cheers, P:)

Hacienda Antigua makes some nice tequilas, including the blue Mar Mix.

They are located next to Casa Denis about 2 blocks east and one block south of Restaurant Palmeras across the street from the PDC ferry terminal.

Cheers, P:)

That's also the brand at the "Tequila Factory" out on the transversal road from downtown to the East side. Its a replica of the hacienda in Guadalajara where the tequila is made. I don't think I've seen it stateside, but it's fairly common on Coz. They have a Mezcal too. Their anejo might be an interesting item to pick up

• 1 month later...

I drink tequila but I don't know that much about it so I have no point of reference but I do know that if you leave the port and take a left and across the street there is a little liquor store that sells only tequila. We went in there and ladies were very friendly and you could try many of the tequilas. I think I'm going to buy something there this year because I would like to start drinking better tequila. It's a tiny little place but it should be easy to spot. It's not very far down at all. I'll probably take a look through the duty-free shop first to make sure I'm getting the best deal. And I mention that I don't know much about tequilas because maybe none of the brands there are any good or maybe they are not local etc.

Edited by Mrs.Gosse

I drink tequila but I don't know that much about it so I have no point of reference but I do know that if you leave the port and take a left and across the street there is a little liquor store that sells only tequila. We went in there and ladies were very friendly and you could try many of the tequilas. I think I'm going to buy something there this year because I would like to start drinking better tequila. It's a tiny little place but it should be easy to spot. It's not very far down at all. I'll probably take a look through the duty-free shop first to make sure I'm getting the best deal. And I mention that I don't know much about tequilas because maybe none of the brands there are any good or maybe they are not local etc.

Which pier were you at?

Edited by c-leg5

• 6 months later...
Following this thread for my May trip! Hope to see a little more activity!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

What pier are you docking at? See the top of the thread. Not sure what the name of the place that Mrs. Gosse is referring to between the International pier and Puerta Maya pier. If you are at the downtown pier, Punta Langosta, and are planning on going shopping/lunch/sightseeing around the plaza, there's a unique little store at the northern edge of the Plaza, on Calle 2 and Avenida 5 called the Tequila House. All types of tequilas not just the major imported brands you see here, and not just one maker like the Tequila Factory.

Also La Europa next to Mega Mart on the main waterfront road to downtown, has a good stock of tequilas and other liquors in addition to the excellent wines it sells.

Try casa cofradia. They have flavored tequila. My DW swears by them. She likes the coffee and pomegranate flavors. We have been dealing with Alejandro for years. It's near the plaza on the first Street back. Been there on 13 cruises and spending 9 days in a few weeks.

Sent from my MT2L03 using Tapatalk

my last cruise to cozumel on carnival while walking through the duty free shop i was taking advantage of the free samples of tequila. i tasted the sauza hacienda resposado tequila. it is now my favorite tequila. very smooth. the only problem now is that i ran out of it and you can't buy it in the states. (i heard you can buy it in san diego but it is not 100% agave like it is in mexico)

my last cruise to cozumel on carnival while walking through the duty free shop i was taking advantage of the free samples of tequila. i tasted the sauza hacienda resposado tequila. it is now my favorite tequila. very smooth. the only problem now is that i ran out of it and you can't buy it in the states. (i heard you can buy it in san diego but it is not 100% agave like it is in mexico)

I agree! I picked up a bottle and it is excellent! It is a shame that it's not sold in the US.

• 2 weeks later...

Quick update. Casa cafradia is located upstairs above Viva Mexico now. The wife almost had a stroke when we went to its old location last Tuesday and it wasn't there. Had to track them down. All for the joy of flavored tequlla

Sent from my MT2L03 using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...