Care Vacations question

TrinaP1204

We are considering renting a power chair for my husband while on our cruise. My question to the the Care vacations agent I was speaking with was this: How does he get from the airport to the ship (coming in the day before the cruise as well). He said they possibly can have the powercchair waiting for us in the hotel room That is good. But...coming home. Once we leave the ship what do we do from the ship to the airport with no chair for him?

Do you mean a power chair or a scooter?

Consider getting or renting a manual wheelchair from home if he needs one for the distances you are talking about. They will fly for free and can be used right to the door of the plane.

You might also be able to rent a scooter or chair from home and bring it with you.

in april I cruised out of new Orleans. I had care vacation deliver a scooter to my hotel. I made arrangements for transportation from the hotel to the ship

the next day (it wasn't cheap). When the cruise was over I left the scooter on the ship and used wheel chair assistance getting off the ship to a taxi. At the airport I used wheel chair assistance all the way home.

This was the first time I had a scooter at the hotel and I truly enjoyed the freedom of being able to go out and do some siteseeing. I would definitely do

that again.

Make sure you request a handicap room at the hotel. Also verify that you have the room the day before you arrive. On my last trip I had called three times to verify. When I arrived at the hotel at 1:00 they had already given my "reserved" room away.

I agree. Bring your manual chair if you have one. Gate check it so he can use it to get to the plane, and arrange to have it brought up to the gate for any plane changes. If you have a lightweight folder, it can fold up out the way in your cabin, and often we found it was better to use on shore trips anyway, in areas where the power chair would not be able to go (like up a step or two into a shop, curbs with no curb cuts, and to transfer into a cab for our own tours ashore).