Autism and Circle C

lucigo

We have lots of Carnival experience, but looking for reviews of sending your child with autism to Circle C. Mine just turned 12. Are video games available anytime, or only certain times like at Camp Carnival? Is there supervision?

I suspect we will have to set him back into CC for a bit longer, but I'm starting to look at whether Circle C will ever be an option, or if we will be considering this aging out.

I just wrote a long review on circle c a few days ago. If you want to read the long version maybe type circle c review in the search area. (I don't know how to link). But the short and to the point is that I doubt Circle C would be suitable for your needs. There is no supervision and it is basically just a meeting up location, from where the kids then generally take off and go running the ship. Despite a posted schedule of activities, it seemed that the activities would never actually take place, I guess because the Tweens and teens deemed any organized activity as "uncool" and similar to "baby camps".

Unless you are ok with your child just running all over the ship with various packs of kids completely unsupervised I don't recommend it.

There is something you can sign the first night that gives your child permission to sign themselves out of Circle C, but as far as I could see there was no "signing out" or even anyone checking to see a child's sign out status, or anyone in charge even being around.

Yea I agree, probably not what you would be wanting.

My daughter is 12 and she went into Circle C. Overall she liked it but she did say there was nobody watching them at all. Most the time they met up there like Moon said then ran around the ship. A couple times my daughter came back to the room cause some the girls there were being mean.

I agree with all the responders - we are just off the Conquest, and were not impressed with Circle C. We tried a couple of times to find an adult, and never could (we missed the 'orientation' on the first day). Every time we went down there, it just seemed like a bunch of pre-teens hanging out - and most of them seemed quite mean. So my son (on the spectrum) and nephew decided they could do without Circle C.

It seems like a good idea in theory, but not so much in practice.

This is very disappointing to hear. My son is almost 9 and we are nervous about moving into the last age bracket at Camp Carnival. We've also found that the size of camp carnival and circle C vary widely from ship to ship. Our son does not do well with a ton of kids crammed into a small space (Sunshine).

The kids in Circle C vary week to week (obviously). If it's something your child might want to do, check it out.

Many of the activities are seemingly unsupervised and the kids can be allowed to check themselves out. Certain activities cannot be done (scavenger hunt) without this permission.

My son has severe autism and mr is non verbal and not potty trained so he wouldn't even be accepted into the program

However I suggest you check out autism on the seas, they do group cruises and the staff was great they do respite for the parents too

Plus group activities

We took my son on a aots cruise on rccl and they changed his diapers and everything

Thank you for all of the replies. No supervision is not what we are looking for. Sad to think our days of camp are coming to an end. My son has really enjoyed it.

My daughter is on the spectrum, and she loved Circle C. But, she is high functioning. We spoke to the Circle C councilor the first day, and she did a good job keeping an eye out for her, and helping her as needed.

Bottom line, before giving up completely on Circle C, go to them on orientation day, and speak to the councilors to see what they can do. Maybe certain activities would be good for your child, but not others.

Also, ask if you could be given one of their ship phones to carry around with you. This way, in case something happens, or plans change to something your child can't do, or is having difficulty with, they can call you to come pick up your child.

Autism societies across the country? Where did you see this? We haven't tried RCCL sure to price and being happy with carnival so I can't speak to their program, but all I have seen is them being "certified" by a travel agency.

Autism societies across the country? Where did you see this? We haven't tried RCCL sure to price and being happy with carnival so I can't speak to their program, but all I have seen is them being "certified" by a travel agency.

Exactly, the agency created a self-serving certification award.

Edited by Texas4808