How in your face do you think Star wars will be?

Susiecruisey

The frustrating thing is that some clueless nobody at DCL HQ has drafted this email, it been passed thru a few other people as deemed appropriate and correct to pass on to Guest's, yet no one there obviously knows what the marketing department sell in the shops or on Pirate night......

please refrain from bringing toys or props that resemble guns, knives or other related implements, as these items will not be allowed onboard.

It's so disappointing to see that corporate HQ (risk assessment most likely) send out this misinformation (without checking with the ships or other departments) when their website clearly states a more relaxed and reasonable policy in the Prohibited Items FAQ.

Realistic replicas of firearms and weapons

Such a shame that DCL has become so managerially disjointed that the left hand doesn't know what the right hand does, and contradicts itself causing more confusion.

ex techie

Edited by Ex techie

• 1 month later...

Just got home a few hours ago from our first Disney cruise.

Since I haven't been on one previously, I can't compare this SW@Sea cruise to a "typical" Disney cruise.

There is definitely a SW presence the entire cruise, but that is because of the passengers. Even on embarkation you could see SW T-shirts, luggage, ball caps, etc.

On the ship, there was a lot of SW merchandise in the stores for the entire cruise.

There was a big SW@Sea set (for photo ops) in the atrium, which was there all week (but roped off much of the time). It magically disappeared before the end of the cruise.

Throughout the week the SW movies played in the BVT, and on the SW@Sea Day, the newest film played in both BVT and WDT.

No Disney characters were out and about that day. Everything was dedicated to SW.

The SW characters roamed decks 3,4,5.

There were photo ops (done by tickets with specific times) with SW characters too.

People did keep on masks - and there was someone in an inflatable Jabba costume.

Lots of light sabers too.

My husband is not a SW fan and had never seen the movies, but he went with me to see 4-6, and twice to see 7! (They had some showings in 3-D)

Disney wants SW to be one day, totally immersive, of the 7-day cruise.

But the passengers keep The Force front and center all week.

Disney fans say it is worth it since so much is included .

The only "so much more" that we are aware of being included is the soda. And as you noted, if you don't drink soda, that's not a big deal. Honestly, I can buy a whole lot of soda packages at $5-8 per night of cruise (the current cost + gratuity on our 2 most recent other lines) for the price difference paid to cruise on DCL. And $8 per night on one line gets a "soda and more" package that includes mocktails, etc. A smoothie on DCL is almost $4 with the automatic gratuity included.

Yeah, Disney has better entertainment and they have characters...but they are double or more the cost of many other lines.

Also, the fact that they have now moved the smoking area on the pool deck to the port side of the adult only area makes the ship MUCH less attractive to me; I now need to walk thru the smoking section to get to the Cove Cafe! It's better for my waist line because I simply won't go thru the smoking area, but it eliminates my use of one of my favorite areas of the ship. Less of an issue on the Fantasy as they have the Vista Cafe, but on the Magic there is nothing similar.

Hope you have a great cruise. And hope you find that it was worth the price difference.

Disney wants SW to be one day, totally immersive, of the 7-day cruise.

But the passengers keep The Force front and center all week.

That is what I expected. It would be fairly in your face.

Glad to hear you had a great time!

Was the deck stage show good?

I've seen some pictures but not many.

ex techie

Spoiler Alert, do a Youtube search for "Summon the Force show on Disney Fantasy Cruise Ship" to view the show.

Thank you so much for posting a link to the video!

Personally I was quite a bit underwhelmed by the deck show. I thought it would have been more scripted than just Characters appearing after video clips.

That and a shonky set door. And there were lighting problems.

I do think they did a great job with the pyro set to music though!

Here is the link for anyone interested:

ex techie

Edited by Ex techie

I was underwhelmed with the deck stage show. People waited a long time to get good locations - and the show seemed too short for the long wait.

The show started at 10:30 and many went to the screenings of The Force Awakens at both theaters at 8:30. So at 10:20 there was a large influx of people trying to get a look at the show. It seemed as if the whole ship were there!

Fireworks/music was awesome!

I don't know what else they could have done with the show though. It was a treat seeing C3PO and R2D2!

Edited by Oceanwench

More about Star Wars Day:

The theme music from the movies plays all day/evening on the ship.

The MDRs have a special Star Wars menu.

So it's kind of hard to get away from it -- but it's so much fun, why would anyone want to?

They even had a SW 101 class for the uninitiated!

Our cabin host left a sign on our mirror (one of those static cling type) that said The Force is Strong on this Ship.

A fun memento of our cruise!

We got SW T-shirts that had the ship's itinerary on the back. Most popular item in the shops!

I was underwhelmed with the deck stage show. People waited a long time to get good locations - and the show seemed too short for the long wait.

The show started at 10:30 and many went to the screenings of The Force Awakens at both theaters at 8:30. So at 10:20 there was a large influx of people trying to get a look at the show. It seemed as if the whole ship were there!

Fireworks/music was awesome!

I don't know what else they could have done with the show though. It was a treat seeing C3PO and R2D2!

I thought they could have had a battle with the light sabers or made it a little more theatrical. Deck stage is a tricky area to stage ANYTHING, even a spillway party if the winds pick up, or if it had rained that morning and the Magic would heave whilst leaving port, a large amount of water collected on top of the funnel would rain down on all of the musicians equipment! Tarps everywhere and I was drenched several times trying to rescue the equipment!

C3PO and R2D2 were amazing IMO!

That did a great job with those Characters and kudos to the remote controller of R2D2 and the Cast Member wearing the C3PO costume! They did a great job!

ex techie

• 2 weeks later...

I have booked our family of 8 (6 and 7 year old included) on the Fantasy for next year eastern Caribbean. Star Wars day at sea is not as yet on the itinerary for 2017. With it being on the western route I'm doubtful that it will be available on the eastern route. So I (along with my son, son in law and daughter all of the classic Star Wars era) would absolutely love to have it "in our face" as the OP says. Lucky for those who have this experience!

C3PO and R2D2 were amazing IMO!

That did a great job with those Characters and kudos to the remote controller of R2D2 and the Cast Member wearing the C3PO costume! They did a great job!

ex techie

Cast Member? NO! That was the REAL C3PO and R2D2. If you don't believe it, just ask any 6 year old who was there.

I have booked our family of 8 (6 and 7 year old included) on the Fantasy for next year eastern Caribbean. Star Wars day at sea is not as yet on the itinerary for 2017. With it being on the western route I'm doubtful that it will be available on the eastern route. So I (along with my son, son in law and daughter all of the classic Star Wars era) would absolutely love to have it "in our face" as the OP says. Lucky for those who have this experience!

Here's the Fantasy Imperial March ring tone for your smartphone if you want it?

http://disneycruiselineblog.com/2016/01/disney-fantasy-horn-star-wars-day-sea-imperial-march-ringtone-downloads/

ex techie

Does anyone know what day Star Wars Day is going to be out of the 7? I'd like to plan around it for childcare and adult dining. My toddler LOVES Star Wars, so we're planning to spend the day gawking at characters, watching movies, etc. together.

Does anyone know what day Star Wars Day is going to be out of the 7? I'd like to plan around it for childcare and adult dining. My toddler LOVES Star Wars, so we're planning to spend the day gawking at characters, watching movies, etc. together.

The Wed of sailing (2nd at Sea day).