Taking alcohol on board P&O Med fly cruise?

Doughty3

We're taking our first ever cruise in September, starting in Genoa after a flight from the UK.

We'd like to buy a couple of bottles of alcohol on arrival in Genoa before we sail to drink in our cabin/balcony. Is this allowed?

Can we also buy a bottle of wine in other ports to drink on board during our 14 day cruise?

We like the idea of a drink of our choice on our balcony at the beginning or end of an evening.

We're taking our first ever cruise in September, starting in Genoa after a flight from the UK.

We'd like to buy a couple of bottles of alcohol on arrival in Genoa before we sail to drink in our cabin/balcony. Is this allowed?

Can we also buy a bottle of wine in other ports to drink on board during our 14 day cruise?

We like the idea of a drink of our choice on our balcony at the beginning or end of an evening.

If you are talking Gin etc., possibly not worth the hassle as you can buy a Ltr bottle of Gin for £22 from room service for use in the cabin. Unless you are buying DF you are not going to get it much cheaper.

As for the wine, yes you can buy it on shore and take it on for cabin use.

We have been with P&O twice , but departed from Bridgetown in Barbados. It seemed to us that on embarkation they were pretty relaxed about people taking alcohol on board and we never saw anybody having alcohol taken off them. Unlike RCI who appeared very strict in taking bottles off passengers at every port.

Yes you can buy alcohol and take it onboard. Just done Venice to venice taking in Genoa. It was a great cruise, you can buy it in the airport but I don't think you will have time for duty free when you get off, it was very well organised by p&o in veniice straight from the plane through passport control and onto the bus.

You could buy it in the uk airport duty free as you can then take it on the plane, as you will of already passed through security. Don't forget you will need to drink most of what you buy as you can't put it in your hand luggage and the way back

It's allowed, but it's non trivial. You are taken straight from the airport to the cruise terminal pretty rapidly. I don't know if much is near the terminal itself, you can disembark again. I'm guessing stop 1 will be Livorno so it might be easier buying stuff there ?

Yes you can buy alcohol and take it onboard. Just done Venice to venice taking in Genoa. It was a great cruise, you can buy it in the airport but I don't think you will have time for duty free when you get off, it was very well organised by p&o in veniice straight from the plane through passport control and onto the bus.

You could buy it in the uk airport duty free as you can then take it on the plane, as you will of already passed through security. Don't forget you will need to drink most of what you buy as you can't put it in your hand luggage and the way back

Can you buy DF in the UK if not going out of EU on a flight. To buy booze you have to show a boarding card. Yours would show UK to Italy. Therefore no DF.

I did buy some baileys in a port duty free. Even if it's not duty free you can still buy in the shop and take it on the plane. Just need to compare it to ship price (btw I thought the ship had stopped allowing you to buy on board and take it to your room)

I did buy some baileys in a port duty free. Even if it's not duty free you can still buy in the shop and take it on the plane. Just need to compare it to ship price (btw I thought the ship had stopped allowing you to buy on board and take it to your room)

They have stopped the DF, but that only ever lasted about 9 month. Room service will deliver to your cabin. Gin £22 a Ltr. Same for other standard spriits. Malts etc more. In fact much the same as a supermarket when they do not have an offer on.

They have stopped the DF, but that only ever lasted about 9 month. Room service will deliver to your cabin. Gin £22 a Ltr. Same for other standard spriits. Malts etc more. In fact much the same as a supermarket when they do not have an offer on.

On this years world cruise we got a voucher to allow us to take 1 bottle each back to the cabin. Any other time I just buy from a port duty free shop. Just done a cruise similar to the one the op Venice to venice taking in Genoa. We still bought out of a duty free shop. Two liters of baileys €24 and superkings €21 for 200.

I'm trying to remember if there was any shops selling booze near Genoa port. I think there was, turn left and walk down the road towards the marina. There was a lot of shops selling cheap t shirts etc (and lookie lookie men at the marina)

We have been with P&O twice , but departed from Bridgetown in Barbados. It seemed to us that on embarkation they were pretty relaxed about people taking alcohol on board and we never saw anybody having alcohol taken off them. Unlike RCI who appeared very strict in taking bottles off passengers at every port.

Unless you get a drinks package thrown in by RCI or Celebrity, a couple of Sundowners and a nightcap delivered to your balcony will cost you dearly.

Cb

Have just returned from a P and O cruise and took some vodka with us as we were going to destinations where alcohol is expensive. Ours cost £15 a litre in Morrissons. However, in the Med most alcohol prices are cheaper than UK.

Can you buy DF in the UK if not going out of EU on a flight. To buy booze you have to show a boarding card. Yours would show UK to Italy. Therefore no DF.

You can by DF for the EU, but it is a higher price :)